Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPad 2 - €238

• 14-09-2014 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

BNIB iPad 2 - 32g for €238 - any one tell me if it's a good deal?

Only need it for watching flicks and kids playing games etc.
    is it overpriced for a relatively old piece of equipment or good enough price to pick it up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BNIB iPad 2 - 32g for €238 - any one tell me if it's a good deal?

Only need it for watching flicks and kids playing games etc.
    is it overpriced for a relatively old piece of equipment or good enough price to pick it up?

Seems like a good deal alright. iPad 2 is still fast enough, and this is the 32GB model. It's this brand new? It's a good deal seeing as the iPad will get iOS 8 on Wednesday, this could be the last major update it will receive though. Just means all apps will still work on it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Brand new as in refurb from the apple us store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal alright. iPad 2 is still fast enough, and this is the 32GB model. It's this brand new? It's a good deal seeing as the iPad will get iOS 8 on Wednesday, this could be the last major update it will receive though. Just means all apps will still work on it for now.

Is it just me or do older Apple devices perform worse with the newer IOSs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I had an ipad 2 from when they were originally released. It ran poorly on ios6 and runs even worse on ios7. I gave it to my mother a month or so ago and even she complains about it. It's very old tech now. You'd be mad to pay €238 for it, it's not worth it at all.

I had an ipad 2 from when they were originally released. It ran poorly on ios6 and runs even worse on ios7. I gave it to my mother a month or so ago and even she complains about it. It's very old tech now. You'd be mad to pay €238 for it, it's not worth it at all.

I had one myself but it ran fine at the time. I've had two iPads since but I'd imagine it still runs ok if Apple still support it. It's definitely the slowest of the lot but a 32Gb refurb is definitely good at that price.

• Advertisement

So it would be a no then - maybe this....

Refurbished iPad with Retina display Wi-Fi 32GB - White @ €292

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD514LL/A/refurbished-ipad-with-retina-display-wi-fi-32gb-white-4th-generation

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

I've an iPad 2, I'm probably going to get rid of it as it's very laggy on iOS7. The poor amount of ram is very noticeable.

So it would be a no then - maybe this....

Refurbished iPad with Retina display Wi-Fi 32GB - White @ €292

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD514LL/A/refurbished-ipad-with-retina-display-wi-fi-32gb-white-4th-generation

The 4th gen iPad is a great price. Even before the refurb reduction. Just a heads up your on the US site there, they won't ship to Ireland you need to visit the Irish store. The 4th get iPad for under 400 is a good price.

The 4th gen iPad is a great price. Even before the refurb reduction. Just a heads up your on the US site there, they won't ship to Ireland you need to visit the Irish store. The 4th get iPad for under 400 is a good price.

Thanks for that. Im heading over there in the next week so hoping to pick up a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

4th gen has improved specs, but it's a heavy brute. If it was me I'd buy the Air off Amazon.co.uk, they can be picked up for about €400 brand new on the site.

I think the performance of the ipad 2 actually improved with ios7, not sure how it will fare with ios8, it might kill it off.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    4th gen has improved specs, but it's a heavy brute. If it was me I'd buy the Air off Amazon.co.uk, they can be picked up for about €400 brand new on the site.

I think the performance of the ipad 2 actually improved with ios7, not sure how it will fare with ios8, it might kill it off.

I had the 3rd Gen and now the Air and I could never understand why people thought the older ones were so heavy. I can notice a small difference but nothing major. I noticed a speed difference from the 3 - Air but I'd say the 4th Gen would be less noticeable. I still think the 4th Gen is well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The mother has an iPad 2. It's not great with ios7 and really shows it's and compared to my Nexus 7. The screen resolution is the big thing I notice these days.

Is it worth 239? Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ive an Ipad 2 64gb since release and never had an ounce of trouble with it. Software is up to date and its working as good as the day i got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ive an Ipad 2 64gb since release and never had an ounce of trouble with it. Software is up to date and its working as good as the day i got it.
    Agreed. IOS7 is flawless on IP2. Dunno what's wrong with the units above, but definitely no lag here. Never has been, either. Obviously it's time is limited at this stage, but it's getting ios8 tomorrow, and it's still readily available to buy so still a bit of fight in the old dog yet. Testament to its quality IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

I have an IPad 3rd gen (64GB) and its running great. Same tech as the iPad 2 I think but with the retina screen. It is noticeably heavier though and a quaint mis-step by Apple (which they admitted when it was taken off the market pretty quickly once the 4th gen appeared).

I love it though - use it most days for browsing at home / timewasting.

Wouldn't have thought I'd get €238 for it at this stage though - might try CEX or some such (the wife is getting an iPad from her work shortly)

Advertisement