Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to daft.ie for rental accommodation

Options
  • 14-09-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭

For the past 6 weeks myself and my friend have been looking for either a 2 or 3 bed apartment or house in Cork city. In that time we've viewed 14 properties, made offers on 4 but have not been successful. We've also had at least 10 viewings arranged that were arranged only to be cancelled due to the place being taken by someone else before we got to even see it. We would have viewed even more except for the fact that we need two car spaces which rules out a lot of the city centre accommodation.

So anyway we've been using daft.ie pretty much exclusively due to the large volume of property on it. However there is ridiculous competition out there at the moment. One place in particular had 8 offers on it before we even saw it. As two males we're probably behind couples and two females as the ideal candidates even though we're both working and have good references. I've had agents refuse to give us a viewing as we didn't fit the owner's preferred tenants ("They're looking for a couple or a couple with a young baby!"). It's pretty demoralising stuff.

So at this stage I feel like we need to think outside the box a bit to steal an advantage on the competition. What are the alternatives? Rent.ie just seems to have the same housing stock as daft. Myhome.ie seems to be bit of a ghost town. Same with adverts and gumtree. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

For the past 6 weeks myself and my friend have been looking for either a 2 or 3 bed apartment or house in Cork city. In that time we've viewed 14 properties, made offers on 4 but have not been successful. We've also had at least 10 viewings arranged that were arranged only to be cancelled due to the place being taken by someone else before we got to even see it. We would have viewed even more except for the fact that we need two car spaces which rules out a lot of the city centre accommodation.

So anyway we've been using daft.ie pretty much exclusively due to the large volume of property on it. However there is ridiculous competition out there at the moment. One place in particular had 8 offers on it before we even saw it. As two males we're probably behind couples and two females as the ideal candidates even though we're both working and have good references. I've had agents refuse to give us a viewing as we didn't fit the owner's preferred tenants ("They're looking for a couple or a couple with a young baby!"). It's pretty demoralising stuff.

So at this stage I feel like we need to think outside the box a bit to steal an advantage on the competition. What are the alternatives? Rent.ie just seems to have the same housing stock as daft. Myhome.ie seems to be bit of a ghost town. Same with adverts and gumtree. Any ideas?

Most apartment blocks around the City have numbers to call to enquire about renting, call the number first and dont wait for it to go live. Id say youll find it hard getting two parking spaces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Gumtree? You could approach a few letting agents directly and see if you can view some places before they go up online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I found they were about the best of them. Annoying though, have you tried Rose Properties they are nice but most of their places are on daft anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Milly33 wrote: »
    have you tried Rose Properties they are nice but most of their places are on daft anywho

Yes, they seem to have all of the nicest properties. I gave them our details as well for future stuff coming up but they've never contacted me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Yes, they seem to have all of the nicest properties. I gave them our details as well for future stuff coming up but they've never contacted me

Yeah do it again, hound them

• Advertisement

Shame on them.. I know of some chap who was trying to rent an apartment in town think it was a 2 bed one do you want me to ask if his still looking for tenants not sure about parking or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Milly33 wrote: »
    Shame on them.. I know of some chap who was trying to rent an apartment in town think it was a 2 bed one do you want me to ask if his still looking for tenants not sure about parking or anything like that

Hi sorry, just saw this. Thanks for the offer but I finally got a place this morning (and yes it was from daft).

great stuff congrats

Advertisement