Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottles/feeding for an 11 month old

Options
  • 14-09-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Below is my son's eating/drinking schedule. I would like to know if it's time to drop the afternoon bottle or reduce volume of formula across the day or even change the order. He's not always eating his dinner and lunch of late which is why I am considering a change but don't know what to do.
    His eating schedule is as follows:
    7.30: 7oz bottle formula
    8.30: Breakfast of cereal with full fat milk
    10.30: Snack of a small bit of toast and fruit pieces
    12.30: lunch (homemade something that we are also having)
    3.00: snack of yoghurt and 7oz bottle of formula
    5.30: dinner (again same as us)
    7.15: 7oz bottle of formula

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I was actually wondering the same about my lo,her eating routine is
    8.00 7oz bottle and half a weetabix
    10.30 yoghurt or fruit puree
    12.00 7oz bottle
    2.30 dinner,meat and potatoe generally
    4.00 7oz but she might only take 3
    6.00 maybe a yoghurt or biscuit out of her hand
    7.30 7oz bottle

Im thinking of cutting the bottle at 4.00 and giving a snack instead or maybe I should cut the12.00 and give lunch instead like you have on yours. Im terrible at the food thing,i never know what to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I'm so glad groucho that you are wondering the same stuff as me as I have great worries I am doing this all wrong and the food part is such a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I know I worry a lot about choking,we only have four teeth.and then I worry im giving too much or too little.i just worry in general;-)

I know I worry a lot about choking,we only have four teeth.and then I worry im giving too much or too little.i just worry in general;-)

The choking isn't too bad anymore but it used to really get me and I spent feeding time sitting on my hands. Now I'm glad I did baby led weaning as it has worked well with the sheer variety of food he eats but the volume is a big problem for me definitely too. He spends his time throwing food around the place rather than eating at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm breastfeeding but my daughters routine would look very similar to yours op. She hasn't really been bothered with the afternoon feed after having a snack so I dropped it. The odd day she looks for it but not often. It's hard to get it right and know you're doing the right thing! Guess that's the next 20 years' theme though :)

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'm breastfeeding but my daughters routine would look very similar to yours op. She hasn't really been bothered with the afternoon feed after having a snack so I dropped it. The odd day she looks for it but not often. It's hard to get it right and know you're doing the right thing! Guess that's the next 20 years' theme though :)
    Thanks so much - I'm thinking I might reduce the volume and see what happens in the next few weeks; just drop an ounce or two here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I bet you are both first time parents!! I don’t mean to be smart saying that but I suspect you are because this is exactly the kind of thing that used to stress the life out of us on our first, along comes the second and you realize that as long as they are eating they are all right.

Your kids are all eating plenty by the looks of things if they are growing and well in them-selves everything is going fine.

farmchoice wrote: »
    I bet you are both first time parents!! I don’t mean to be smart saying that but I suspect you are because this is exactly the kind of thing that used to stress the life out of us on our first, along comes the second and you realize that as long as they are eating they are all right.

Your kids are all eating plenty by the looks of things if they are growing and well in them-selves everything is going fine.

Thanks for the reply! Yes first time parent here. I spoke about this with the PHN and cannot find sound advice on when to drop formula volume down. Do you remember when you went to two bottles on either of your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I can hardly remember my name at this stage, but I think the 15 month old gave it when she was around a year.
    if he/she is not eating her dinner I would drop the bottle and see what happens, but then if she obviously misses it and wants it id let her have it, play it by ear, see how it goes.
    I know you will be afraid that you will do something wrong but believe me you won't, the child is obviously eating well all things considered. Not giving her a third bottle for 3 days and then changing your mind and going back to it is Ok.

farmchoice wrote: »
    I can hardly remember my name at this stage, but I think the 15 month old gave it when she was around a year.
    if he/she is not eating her dinner I would drop the bottle and see what happens, but then if she obviously misses it and wants it id let her have it, play it by ear, see how it goes.
    I know you will be afraid that you will do something wrong but believe me you won't, the child is obviously eating well all things considered. Not giving her a third bottle for 3 days and then changing your mind and going back to it is Ok.

I reckon I will be second guessing myself forever more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

My lil one is 11 months also and her diet would be similar - 7oz bottle in morning and before bed, and 6 oz mid afternoon.
    She only has 4 teeth also, but I really wouldn't worry about that, they all get teeth at completely different stages! I know a baba thats 2 months younger and he has 6...and he wouldn't be great at the old solids.

I'm planning on moving her to cows milk from 1, she's been having it in her cereal from around 7 months, and from yesterday I've started putting an oz of it into her bottles along with the usual 6oz of formula. I'll drop an oz of formula every couple of days and replace with the cows milk. (So tomorrow I'll give her 2 oz cows milk and 4 oz formula in her bottles)

Advertisement