Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your uncompetitive England 11

• 14-09-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I was bored and thought about England players that have never represented their country in a competitive international. When I had it done I was thinking to myself that this team would have lot more steel in it than the actual England team that is normally picked. I'd actually fancy their chances of causing the upset.

So what is your England 11?
    Only rule is they they have not played a competitive international game.

Ruddy
    Clyne----Shawcross
    Caulker
    Ward
    Britton
    Noble
    Dyer
    Mutch
    Rodriguez
    Austin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jay Rodriguez has played for England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Where is Maph Le Tissier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Jay Rodriguez has played for England.
    Not in a competitive international. I clearly stated that.

Steve Bruce.

Also one of the better players not to have played for Ireland!

Steve Bruce.

Also one of the better players not to have played for Ireland!

Are you sure Bruce was eligible for Ireland?

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Are you sure Bruce was eligible for Ireland?

No, remember the hunt for a birth cert, but then again we were pretty well covered in that position so the news fizzled out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jack Grealish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

No, remember the hunt for a birth cert, but then again we were pretty well covered in that position so the news fizzled out pretty quickly.

His mother was Irish. Bruce never played for Ireland due to the foreign player rule that was in England at that time

doncarlos wrote: »
    His mother was Irish. Bruce never played for Ireland due to the foreign player rule that was in England at that time

She was from the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

How is Alex Bruce eligible then ?

• Advertisement

How is Alex Bruce eligible then ?

Good Friday agreement I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dean Richards was the most expensive non capped English player for a time wasn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ok so I was bored and thought about England players that have never represented their country in a competitive international. When I had it done I was thinking to myself that this team would have lot more steel in it than the actual England team that is normally picked. I'd actually fancy their chances of causing the upset.

So what is your England 11?
    Only rule is they they have not played a competitive international game.

Ruddy
    Clyne----Shawcross
    Caulker
    Ward
    Britton
    Noble
    Dyer
    Mutch
    Rodriguez
    Austin

That team would get absolutely mulched in international competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Kevin Campbell.

Lee Bowyer

Gary Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Steven Taylor

*shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd actually fancy their chances of causing the upset.

Ruddy
    Clyne----Shawcross
    Caulker
    Ward
    Britton
    Noble
    Dyer
    Mutch
    Rodriguez
    Austin

I'd wager a lot of money that they'd lose comfortably.

Some decent players there definitely, but most are not near the International setup for a good reason and some of the better ones (Clyne & J-Rod) aren't far away from the first team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'd wager a lot of money that they'd lose comfortably.

Some decent players there definitely, but most are not near the International setup for a good reason and some of the better ones (Clyne & J-Rod) aren't far away from the first team at the moment.
    If we're talking past players, then Collymore would have to be up there, along with Kevin Pressman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Stan won a few caps. In fact I even saw him at Wembley win one of them vs Brazil in 95. Obviously he should have won a lot more.

I used to watch Collymore when he was at Southend so he's a real favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Kevin Campbell.

Good shout, Campbell has the most premier league goals for an uncapped English man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Stan won a few caps. In fact I even saw him at Wembley win one of them vs Brazil in 95. Obviously he should have won a lot more.

I used to watch Collymore when he was at Southend so he's a real favourite of mine.
    Same big fan of the Stan, didnt he score a bicycle kick for Bradford on his debut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Two guys who not only deserved competitive caps, but narrowly missed other potential glories:

David Hirst played 3 games for England, two were against Australia and NO and another was against France in what I am quite sure was a friendly also. He's also known as the guy Ferguson wasn't able to sign, so he took Cantona instead.

Jimmy Adamson (right back) was Barnsley's captain when they won the English league in 1960 and got to the FA cup final two years later. He got included in the 1962 World Cup squad (as well as being a coach) but never got on the field. The next year he got offered the job as England manager but turned it down, so England fell back on their plan b - Alf Ramsey.

Advertisement