Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

My iPhone Nightmare (2 Problems in 1)

• 14-09-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I had an iPhone 5 32GB. All was well in the world but I found that the battery on it was beginning to die as I had purchased it in mid 2013. Since I have a 24 month contract I decided to get the battery replaced privately (my bad, I know).

After giving it to one of those 2 hour quick service guys in the general Dublin area I was given back a phone that couldn't charge. The repair man said that he never saw a problem like this and it was MY problem. He then said that it was my word against his and that he said that the problem must have existed before I handed it over to him. I was charging the phone in a cheap charging case when I gave it to him which he found to be 'very hot' and so blamed the case (which, due to my ignorance, could have been the case?).

I need an iPhone for work (long story, mostly iCloud stuff) and ran into the nearest shop and bought in cash an iPhone 4C (C for CRAP). I then sent my old non-charging iPhone 5 off to another repair man who said that there was a problem with my logic board and that they can't understand why it won't charge and what its problem is. I recently realised that my old iPhone is eligable for the lock button replacement programme and he said that they'd more than likely just give me a new device if I can get the IMEI number. The phone, while it can't charge, has a bit of juice left in it so I was able to jot it down. I called Apple after the new repair guy lost hope and they said I needed to switch off Find My Phone (which I can't as it's dead but didn't want to tell them how/ why...).

I am now left with a horrible 4C that has NO music on it, no video and a few apps but has limited space regardless it's driving me NUTS. I am so angry...

I contacted consumer rights people and they said I should go after the first guy but not sure if I should/ have the time to do it.

Would it be worth it to continue looking for a proper repair man? Or am I completed f'ed? Meteor said they'd give me a new phone in early February which means I can get the new iPhone 6 but at the same time... I can't manage the 5GB of HD I have..

Thanks,
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Were the 2-hour service lads an authorised Apple repair crew? If not, you may be boned. Apple will repair or replace your iPhone for free, but not if it's been opened and played with by non-authorised repairers.

Some people had your battery problem, but probably took advantage of either the Battery Replacement Program or just sending it back to Apple, but you can't get at your IMEI number.

Can you drop it in to CompuB or post it back to Apple, who can take a look at it?

(Maybe leave out the part where other folks opening it it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange one this.

Firstly never heard of a iPhone 4c.

Do you mean the 5c or the 4s?

As for no music etc , do you not have music on Cloud or a computer that you can resync to?

You see you need an iPhone for work for cloud services but did you know you can access your cloud stuff from a computer by going to www.icloud.com

The iPhone you have now if you have set up correctly should sync all you stuff for you once you sign in on your iTunes account. All apps are available for download in the Purchased section of iTunes store.

As for your old phone not sure what you can do but I think that charging case you had might be the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Is the main issue here that you can't turn off Find My iPhone due to the device being dead? Have you tried signing into icloud.com with the iCloud account associated with the device and removing the phone from Find My iPhone there?

Regarding the IMEI, that should be written on the back of the iPhone 5.

As another poster has said, though, if the repair shop you went to weren't Apple authorized service providers, Apple will not repair the phone for you at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Find my iPhone needs to be disabled on the device so it can be restored but sure Apple have ways around it.

I doubt you will get anywhere looking for the retailer to repair it after you tried to get it repaired yourself. Just as an FYI, there is no authorised repair centre in ireland for iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Does this solve your problem regarding disabling Find My iPhone?

http://www.imore.com/how-turn-off-find-my-iphone-remotely-and-bypass-activation-lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Hey guys,

yes it was an iPhone 5C. I disabled the Find My Phone and rang Apple. Since I am eligible for the lock button replacement programme they are going to repair it... I pray to god that they just see that I'm eligible and replace it. If they see that I've been messing it at it through other guys I sill have nothing to lose and will then look to them to refurbish it.

Anyone want to buy an iPhone 5C(rap)? I joke.. I'm more than likely going to use it (not).

Thanks for the comments!
    Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you sure it's not an iPhone 5? I don't there is any repair program for 5c.

No no, the iphone 5 needs repair not the 5c as I explained in original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

So someone opened up the 5 for the battery to be replaced and you're sending it off to Apple? Prepare for the same phone in the same condition to be sent back as your warranty was voided.

• Advertisement

How would they know it was opened? Warranty was gone anyway. CompB told me they'd prob just bin it and send new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How would they know it was opened? Warranty was gone anyway. CompB told me they'd prob just bin it and send new one

Stickers on the screws that break when the phone is opened. An authorised repairer could replace them. Don't listen to CompuB at all, bunch of liars, they claim to be authorised by Apple for everything but Apple has told me and many other people that they are authorised to Sell Apple products and nothing more.

Also genuine Apple replacement batteries don't exist. The only people in the world that have access to genuine batteries are Apple themselves, Apple will know it's not an Apple made battery, unless it is second hand but then they can tell it's not yours anyway.

I actually think you will get away with it.

Yeah the battery itself wasn't replaced. The guy put in original battery when he realised he broke the phone.

I'd love to know what actually happened to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Let us know how you get on, i wonder if it will slip between the cracks :)

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, i wonder if it will slip between the cracks :)

Will do! If it doesn't work my plan is to act completely clueless. Ohhhhh CompuB told me to do it ha ha! Thanks guys

I feel bad for not replying to this! Completely forgot..

I got a new iPhone 5 out of apple and sold the 5S ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I feel bad for not replying to this! Completely forgot..

I got a new iPhone 5 out of apple and sold the 5S ;)

Good to hear you got sorted...

You got a 5c and sold a 5s...Thats some good magic there :)

Advertisement