Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like to live in Dundalk?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello!
    I got a job offer in Dundalk, so will need to move there by October. Honestly, I never was there, so I have lots of questions and begin to gather info about this town.
    Firstly, is Dundalk good place to live with children? Are there good playgrounds/parks? What about sports and other activities for little ones? Are there parent+toddler clubs?
    Also, what is your personal opinion of this town? Is it clean, tidy, friendly, what with criminal situation?
    And is it easy to rent a house or apartment in Dundalk?
    Thanks in advance for every answer and opinion!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mets wrote: »
    Hello!
    I got a job offer in Dundalk, so will need to move there by October. Honestly, I never was there, so I have lots of questions and begin to gather info about this town.
    Firstly, is Dundalk good place to live with children? Are there good playgrounds/parks? What about sports and other activities for little ones? Are there parent+toddler clubs?
    Also, what is your personal opinion of this town? Is it clean, tidy, friendly, what with criminal situation?

Yes loads and loads for kids to do, any amount of activites from football, gaa, tennis, golf, boxing, karate, arts n crafts, speech n drama, dancing etc.... You name it and Id say Dundalk has it for kids. Plenty of play grounds and Parks. Has a childrens fun factory aswell...

To be honest its a great town but like every town parts of it are "rough" Avoid Coxes Demense, Muirhevnamor and Fatima areas and you should be 100%....Nice areas that you could look at would be Carrick Rd (lis na dara) Lennonstown Manner and all the estates around it, Dublin Rd

Crime is the same as any other town (just stay away from Bridge Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I like Dundalk

Good town, good people, some nice places for kids, St Helena's Park, Ice House hill etc.

Sometimes you get people drinking there, but I'm sure that happens in every park

You are close to Newry, an hour from Dublin, you have the beautiful Cooley Peninsula at your doorstep and a great soccer team.

Like any town you have to know where to avoid, when to avoid it etc.

I have lived here a long long time and I have never had any trouble, not even on a night out

If you want trouble you will find it, if you walk away, you avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    I like Dundalk

Good town, good people, some nice places for kids, St Helena's Park, Ice House hill etc.

Sometimes you get people drinking there, but I'm sure that happens in every park

You are close to Newry, an hour from Dublin, you have the beautiful Cooley Peninsula at your doorstep and a great soccer team.

Like any town you have to know where to avoid, when to avoid it etc.

I have lived here a long long time and I have never had any trouble, not even on a night out

If you want trouble you will find it, if you walk away, you avoid it

:cool:
    Good post made better with that statement;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mets

Thanks for answers! ^.^

Can anyone tell is Legion Avenue good area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks for answers! ^.^

Its a very settled older area, close to town centre and the motorway.A relatively quiet area.

• Advertisement

Legion Avenue- Built by the British army for their officers i believe? hence the name. The houses on the right as you approach via the turn off from the Castletown road have huge back gardens i know.The left hand side houses i cant vouch for re:garden.All built in fine red brick too.Whats not to like?The through road can get very busy around school time/rush though.Thats its only minus tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Grand bunch of lads the Dundalkers. Legion avenue is lovely. I really like it but there's a bit of a rat race with cars flying up that road at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Thanks for answers! ^.^

Very well built homes there. Used to be British army homes years ago. Big gardens. Much sought after and lovely area right beside shops, a park and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Yes loads and loads for kids to do, any amount of activites from football, gaa, tennis, golf, boxing, karate, arts n crafts, speech n drama, dancing etc.... You name it and Id say Dundalk has it for kids. Plenty of play grounds and Parks. Has a childrens fun factory aswell...

To be honest its a great town but like every town parts of it are "rough" Avoid Coxes Demense, Muirhevnamor and Fatima areas and you should be 100%....Nice areas that you could look at would be Carrick Rd (lis na dara) Lennonstown Manner and all the estates around it, Dublin Rd

Crime is the same as any other town (just stay away from Bridge Street)

Dundalkfc,ithink its bad form that you've mentioned 3 certain areas to steer clear off.These 3 estates might not have 5 star luxury housing,but there's lovely people living in them areas and they also have great community spirit. Every week in the Argus,there's a court section and majority of the people in court are from Lis na Dara,red barns road etc.Does that mean that they're bad areas to steer clear from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

M.A.G wrote: »
    Dundalkfc,ithink its bad form that you've mentioned 3 certain areas to steer clear off.These 3 estates might not have 5 star luxury housing,but there's lovely people living in them areas and they also have great community spirit. Every week in the Argus,there's a court section and majority of the people in court are from Lis na Dara,red barns road etc.Does that mean that they're bad areas to steer clear from??

You're reading a different Argus to me, I'm sorry to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Dundalkfc,ithink its bad form that you've mentioned 3 certain areas to steer clear off.These 3 estates might not have 5 star luxury housing,but there's lovely people living in them areas and they also have great community spirit.

'Lovely people' and 'Community spirit' aren't gonna be much use if you get mugged or your car gets nicked. If you did a survey in town, the majority of people would mention at least 2 of those places. Sorry for seeming harsh, but theres no point in giving the OP false information.

-

Carrick road, Newry Road or Point road would be some of the best spots in town to live, mets.

If you have a car then Ath Leathan is grand. Legion Avenue is around the corner from me, dunno about the inside of the houses but from outside they look fine. :P Point Road is a decent area as are along the Dublin and Newry Roads.

Well i don't think it's right to judge a whole estate based on a few "bad eggs". I live in one of the areas mentioned and have lived here for 9 years and have brilliant neighbours and never had a minutes trouble.I just don't think it's nice to come on here and see people putting down and looking down their nose because i'm from a certain area. There's plenty of trouble in these other "sought" after estates. I work with someone who lives in Belfry and they're tortured with anti social behaviour. i work with someone else who lives down in new estate by soldiers point and they've had 3 attempted break ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Well i don't think it's right to judge a whole estate based on a few "bad eggs". I live in one of the areas mentioned and have lived here for 9 years and have brilliant neighbours and never had a minutes trouble.I just don't think it's nice to come on here and see people putting down and looking down their nose because i'm from a certain area. There's plenty of trouble in these other "sought" after estates. I work with someone who lives in Belfry and they're tortured with anti social behaviour. i work with someone else who lives down in new estate by soldiers point and they've had 3 attempted break ins.

I fear you're wasting your time MAG. It's just ignorance. I commend you for sticking up for people though. I know people in all three estates mentioned, and visit them often, as I have done for almost 25 years now. Day and night. I've never been mugged, or hassled, or threatened, or had my car stolen!! It's just spurious nonsense really. My car has been damaged on Stapleton Place and I've only ever been threatened once, by drunk youths, on the Carrick Rd, beyond Oriel Park. But they're nice safe middle class areas! Pfft.

Thanks Mod,i was only trying to make a point that nice people live in all areas of the town.I can't stand the snobbery associated to where people live.It's not nice when you go out and work your ass off to pay a mortgage and people think you're from a rough area. At the end of the day,we're all surrounded by the same bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There are nice people everywhere. This doesn't negate the fact that there are areas with more not so nice than nice.

I live in a nice area as posted. A prostitute lived across the road from me, a dealer next to them and a problematic alco further down. You get good and bad everywhere. Sometimes there's more bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

Hello!

Make sure there's no alleyway beside the house you rent also ask about the neighbours or better still knock on their door you can usually tell straight away what the neighbourhood is like, maybe even spend the day checking out houses and apartments although with kids i think a house would be better but really, Dundalk is a lovely place to bring up kids, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I like living in Dundalk, I live on ton bellew avenue just off the avenue road and I'm in a lovely area. Most of the neighbours are lovely but we don't have much to do with any of them. It's different when you have kids, take a look at kids out playing etc when you go to look at anywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

:D

Send me a copy of the Argus you buy will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

A little way out of Dundalk around Ravensdale is really nice and very quiet

• Advertisement

mravaya wrote: »
    A little way out of Dundalk around Ravensdale is really nice and very quiet

And expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

You're reading a different Argus to me, I'm sorry to say.

Eh I don't think he's reading a different Argus,.. In comparison/ratio to residents, I think M/Mor , Cox's get mentioned as much as and as little as all other Estates!?... In fact considering how large these areas are compared to a lot of other areas, THEY DO OK in the ratings..
    Anyway I also don't think it was fair to name and shame as last poster did..
    I drive a taxi in the Dundalk area and believe me there is worse areas than the two fore-mentioned.....
    In saying all that I do think Dundalk(over all) is a great Town with not a lot of trouble at-all at-all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If Dundalk was a woman, I'd marry her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mets

but it's a real huge problem to rent something-where-to-live in Dundalk :( Cant find! And also cant find where to walk with the little one - playgrounds or stadium to play with ball. (in the locations of Red Barns road).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

but it's a real huge problem to rent something-where-to-live in Dundalk :( Cant find! And also cant find where to walk with the little one - playgrounds or stadium to play with ball. (in the locations of Red Barns road).

Playgrounds - St Helena's Park

Walks - Ice House Hill (a nice park but no playground)

- Naavy bank, just down from the Red Barns Road, very popular spot. Lovely views of the Cooley Mountain. Smell can be very bad at times due to the sewage treatment plant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

doncarlos wrote: »
    If Dundalk was a woman, I'd marry her.

Ah, but would she have ya?!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

Google earth the areas that you're interested in also check out Dundalk.ie - http://www.dundalk.ie/moving-to-dundalk.php you might find some useful information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

There is also a good childrens playground in Muirhevanmór beside the sports centre. Lots of space beside it for playing sports as well. Take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

There's also a nice playground in the Rathmount estate in Blackrock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Ah, but would she have ya?!

She would have many suitors!!

Im delighted to see 'cross the board positive feedback for Dundalk as a place to live. It is a fine town OP but like every urban area in the world its not perfect (though comes damn close:P). Do your research as you have started here, keep it sensible and the best of luck with the move!

Advertisement