Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parks & Rec; The Best American Comedy of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Love Community, but voted "other" - The League is easily the funniest "laugh out loud" US sitcom for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Any chance of adding silicon valley to the list if it's not already been suggested? I know they're only after one season but i honestly haven't laughed at a tv show like i laugh at silicon valley for years.

Is a great show alright.

I voted for '30 Rock', one of the most inventive comedies I've seen so far.

Tracy Jordan off his meds:

“We’re on a show within a show! My real name is Tracy Morgan!”

That was just a throwaway line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Any chance of adding silicon valley to the list if it's not already been suggested? I know they're only after one season but i honestly haven't laughed at a tv show like i laugh at silicon valley for years.

Maybe a Mod could add them but I cant edit them in. There's always the "Other" option if not. Although Silicon Valley is nowhere near as good as the first 6 or 7 on this list.

When it was funny it was hilarious but in general I found it to be all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Thargor wrote: »
    Of all the comedies mentioned in this thread the only ones with laugh tracks are Big Bang, Mrs Brownes Boys and 2 and a Half Men, none of the others on the poll do which I think supports my original point that only the lowest of the modern comedies need to use them, all the others stand on their own without having to tell the viewer when to laugh...

I think you've been corrected on this haven't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's a tough one for me because my three choices have each had one bad season: community season 4, the US office season 8 and Parks and Rec season 1.

Oh wait I forgot 30 Rock! Eh.... So in summary I choose the greatest NBC Thursday night lineup. I think it was 2009/2010 when all four aired at the same time? Those were the days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I think you've been corrected on this haven't you?
    No I dont think I was? Do you mean just because theres a live audience there when filming is going on a show cant be accused of having a ridiculously over the top laugh track even though there aren't really any jokes? Because it can, see Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls for examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There are only 2 good things about 2 Broke Girls. Kat Dennings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

phasers wrote: »
    It's a tough one for me because my three choices have each had one bad season: community season 4, the US office season 8 and Parks and Rec season 1.

Oh wait I forgot 30 Rock! Eh.... So in summary I choose the greatest NBC Thursday night lineup. I think it was 2009/2010 when all four aired at the same time? Those were the days...

Yep. Back in the good old days... There'll be very little reason to watch NBC once Parks bows out this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I knew there had to be someone somewhere who enjoyed this garbage. Don't be fooled by the great cast people, it's the worst show in the world. And I have never missed an episode.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

I watch and enjoy Parks & Recreation, Community, The Office, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Modern Family, Eastbound & Down, Louie, and Arrested Development. Great shows.

None of them are funnier than Curb Your Enthusiasm. Maybe it's something to do with Parks & Recreation or Community being hip and cool, and more connectable to young people than a show about the semi-fictional life of a bald Jewish billionaire, but Curb is more consistently hilarious than any other show.

I'm currently rewatching Curb for the fifth time. I'm on season 6, and last night I watched episode 8, "The N Word". Still makes me laugh out loud. It's incredible. Besides Arrested Development, which would be my second favourite and I also love to rewatch, I have no burning desire to rewatch any of the other shows, at least as much as I have Curb.

Stuff like Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory are total crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Of all the comedies mentioned in this thread the only ones with laugh tracks are Big Bang, Mrs Brownes Boys and 2 and a Half Men, none of the others on the poll do which I think supports my original point that only the lowest of the modern comedies need to use them, all the others stand on their own without having to tell the viewer when to laugh...
    only the lowest, you are aware big bang is by and far the most watched show on tv right now, as was 2.5 men only 3 or 4 years ago, so big that the 3 leads in big bang just signed deals for 1 million an episode, and charlie sheen was getting 1.6 for 2.5 men, im not saying their the funniest shows on but they are probably the most re-watchable shows currently being made, not all shows allow you to more or less jump in wherever you like,

im surprised not see new girl or mindy project on here, i wouldnt vote for them, but they are pretty good comedies,

Honey Boo Boo and Jersey Shore are wildly popular aswell, doesnt mean they arent low-brow mush.

"probably the most re-watchable shows currently being made".. are you serious? Big Bang Theory and 2 and a Half Men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I voted for always sunny. Curb would have been second. Still not completely comfortable with putting curb into second, and if there was a new season on at the moment, then it might just shade it but there's been too much of a break.

Love parks and recreation, leans a little too much on the schmooze for me sometimes though. Also love the office, Louie and community. Really has been a golden age for comedy in the last five years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for me. It's the show I laughed at most frequently and most heartily. It's just straight up funny most of the time. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.

Community is good, as is Arrested Development which probably comes 2nd for me. Archer is hilarious at times too which I only got into this year properly.

I enjoyed HIMYM until about season 5 and I loved the Office too. Have yet to get into Parks and Rec. I tried watching the pilot and just couldn't continue (I'm aware it gets much better) but I'll get back to it again sometime.

But yeah It's Always Sunny is a clear and easy winner for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Mindy Project which is just starting Season 3 is great especially Chris Messina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Was toss between Parks and Rec and Community but went for Community in the end. Season 2 of that show is the funniest, most clever writing I've seen: From the D&D episode, the 2 part Paintball, the brilliant "RoboBitch" and most surreal Christmas episode to anything I've seen :pac:

Season 4 was, well, gas leak - but was no where near as bad as season 1 of Parks and Rec

Honorable mentions:
    Legit
    Always Sunny in Philly
    Veep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Mindy Project which is just starting Season 3 is great especially Chris Messina

Yes both Mindy Project and Happy Endings are very enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cougar Town - very underrated show with a great ensemble cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Trailer Park Boys deserves a mention also. (i KNOW its canadian)

Honey Boo Boo and Jersey Shore are wildly popular aswell, doesnt mean they arent low-brow mush.

"probably the most re-watchable shows currently being made".. are you serious? Big Bang Theory and 2 and a Half Men?
    niether of them shows are widely popular, they pull in 1 maybe 2 million an episode (in a country of 300 million), its magzines and other **** that makes them shows look much bigger than they actually are, as i said before im stating facts, the big bang gets nearly 20 million viewers per episode, 10 times what boo boo or shores does, also thats reality tv trash that isnt even reality but ill let the people who believe that it is reality enjoy their show, shores has 3-5 staff writer actually listed on the show,

well im going by what sells, both those shows currently and in the past have had near 20 million viewers that watched, neither show has a consistent storyline running, so you can simply jump in and out of watching it at any point which is a big selling point,

im not saying either of them show are the best out there, im only stating fact that they are or have been the biggest comedies on tv in the last ten years, bar none, id watch entourage, new girl or its always sunny before ill watch bang, but like i said im only stating what is fact,

is it that people are judged as a lesser person cause they like big bang more than parks or sunny, itd be pretty sad to live in a world like that,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

wprathead wrote: »
    Yes both Mindy Project and Happy Endings are very enjoyable
    Great shout on HE. Cancelled way too soon.

don ramo wrote: »
    niether of them shows are widely popular, they pull in 1 maybe 2 million an episode (in a country of 300 million), its magzines and other **** that makes them shows look much bigger than they actually are, as i said before im stating facts, the big bang gets nearly 20 million viewers per episode, 10 times what boo boo or shores does, also thats reality tv trash that isnt even reality but ill let the people who believe that it is reality enjoy their show, shores has 3-5 staff writer actually listed on the show,

well im going by what sells, both those shows currently and in the past have had near 20 million viewers that watched, neither show has a consistent storyline running, so you can simply jump in and out of watching it at any point which is a big selling point,

im not saying either of them show are the best out there, im only stating fact that they are or have been the biggest comedies on tv in the last ten years, bar none, id watch entourage, new girl or its always sunny before ill watch bang, but like i said im only stating what is fact,

is it that people are judged as a lesser person cause they like big bang more than parks or sunny, itd be pretty sad to live in a world like that,
    The title of the thread is the BEST comedy of recent years, if it was called the BIGGEST you might have a point but you dont. I really couldnt be bothered arguing over nothing with you anymore, you started with the laughable claim that there is no laugh track in TBBT and continued from there, I wont bother replying to anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I love P&R it's an absolutely adorable show that makes me happy to be happy for the characters. Storylines that would be heart attack inducingly cheesey on any other show are delightfully heartwarming on P&R.
    Ben's speech where he tries to convince Leslie to start a family while she is about to tell him she's pregnant, for example.
    It is literally the nicest show on earth.

But........ Always Sunny is funnier. It's the polar opposite of P&R, an awful show about awful people but when it's on fire it really would come close to making you vomit with laughter. It's fantastic like a really vile live action South Park. It even improved Fargo for me as I watched all Howerton's scenes imagining that Dennis was playing a long con and got in way over his head.

The title of the thread is the BEST comedy of recent years, if it was called the BIGGEST you might have a point but you dont. I really couldnt be bothered arguing over nothing with you anymore, you started with the laughable claim that there is no laugh track in TBBT and continued from there, I wont bother replying to anything else.
    fair point, it is about the best, so why bother bashing, i just hate people who lie and cant back it up,

no surprise to see sunny annihilating the competition, not my number one but its a great show, im kinda surprised to see the office get so many votes, while it was a great show i thought the last 2 season had disillusioned most fans, and on the other side its odd to see HIMYM get 1 vote, cause that was also a great show once upon a time,

still none of them are as good as entourage;):p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

For me it would be Parks and Rec. 30 Rock was always good too and How I met Your Mother isn't bad though I've only seen a couple episodes. With Parks and Rec, ignore season 1 and go straight to season 2, way better.
    Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and Community are all rubbish. They are all completely unfunny and I don't understand peoples obsession with them.

fair point, it is about the best, so why bother bashing, i just hate people who lie and cant back it up,

no surprise to see sunny annihilating the competition, not my number one but its a great show, im kinda surprised to see the office get so many votes, while it was a great show i thought the last 2 season had disillusioned most fans, and on the other side its odd to see HIMYM get 1 vote, cause that was also a great show once upon a time,

still none of them are as good as entourage;):p:p

The finale pissed a lot of people off and the idea had been stretched for far too long already.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The finale pissed a lot of people off and the idea had been stretched for far too long already.
    yeah it was pretty bad alright, but the first 5-6 seasons were class,

yeah it was pretty bad alright, but the first 5-6 seasons were class,

I can only speak for myself but the entire series has been ruined by that ending. I find it extremely difficult to watch any of E4's many repeats and I just can't do it because I get so mad. Maybe there'll be a time when I am able to rewatch it but it won't be any time soon. Even when I was watching it though it rarely raised more than a chuckle from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Did nobody give My name is Earl a mention, I thought it was class.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Did nobody give My name is Earl a mention, I thought it was class.

Could never get into it and I gave it about 4 episodes before knowing it wasnt for me.

• Advertisement

With Parks and Rec, ignore season 1 and go straight to season 2, way better.

I wouldnt think this is a good idea, there's some character development that will leave the viewer confused if they jump straight in at season 2.

Besides, season one is only 6 episodes long ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I liked season 1 of Parks and Rec! I dunno why everyone says it's so awful. Sure it's not as funny as season 2 onwards but it has a few laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eastbound and Down for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Always Sunny for me. The cast are amazing and the story lines at times are ridiculously funny.

You can't beat Charlie Day and Danny DeVito.

It also taught me the D-E-N-N-I-S system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Keno wrote: »
    Always Sunny for me. The cast are amazing and the story lines at times are ridiculously funny.

You can't beat Charlie Day and Danny DeVito.

It also taught me the D-E-N-N-I-S system.

I've learned how to do an ocular pat-down because of Mac.

Such an informative show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Haven't seen all of them so it's hard to say. But then again I have seen Arrested Development, so it's actually very easy to say. Those of you who didn't vote for it have made a huge mistake.

Well it was a 3 or 4 horse race to begin with but Always Sunny is now running away with the lead on this poll so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was a couple of seasons in to IASIP but I can't remember why I abandoned it. I can't choose between Modern Family and Arrested Development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I was a couple of seasons in to IASIP but I can't remember why I abandoned it. I can't choose between Modern Family and Arrested Development.

I'll do it for you, it's Arrested Development, no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Is FRASIER to old?consistently funny for every season. Genius comedy.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Is FRASIER to old?consistently funny for every season. Genius comedy.

Finished well in 2004 so doesn't really fit into the 'last ten years' bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Parks and Rec is so good. BYE BYE LITTLE SEBASTIAN!!

Love the Office too, even though I wasn't a major fan after Carrell left. Arrested Development is up there too, they do running jokes so well and it's a subtle humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

only the lowest, you are aware big bang is by and far the most watched show on tv right now, as was 2.5 men only 3 or 4 years ago, so big that the 3 leads in big bang just signed deals for 1 million an episode, and charlie sheen was getting 1.6 for 2.5 men, im not saying their the funniest shows on but they are probably the most re-watchable shows currently being made, not all shows allow you to more or less jump in wherever you like,

im surprised not see new girl or mindy project on here, i wouldnt vote for them, but they are pretty good comedies,

I agree with the underlined. I hate 2.5 men but Big Bang has its place in the comedy stratosphere. It is one of those shows where you don't need to watch regularly but if it happens to be on tv you can jump in and enjoy it without knowing where the characters are at or worrying about any story arcs. The older episodes at least would deliver a few reliable laughs.

It's not satisfying in the way some other series mentioned here are and it won't stand the test of time like some will but I wouldn't completely dismiss it or disparage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Community, Arrested Development, The Office and It's Always Sunny are my all time favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Think the crass jokes of IASIP is easier to write than the mix of heart and fun of P&R, or the surreal off-beat of Arrested Development, or Louie's attempts to get at the heart of life through comedy. Curb isnt really a conventional sitcom and doesnt/didnt seem bound by the regular comedy. None of them are perfect and all have jumped the shark to a greater degree.

Although Councillor Jamm is brilliant, Leslie going to congress kinda shuck the momentum of the programme, and has marked time. Arrested development got itself in knots in series 3 and kinda preferred to set up clever puns/wordplay more than telling a story, Louie kinda forgot to be funny, the office stagnated for a long time before Steve Carrell left - Jim and Pam wedding, the writers copied a youtube craze, should have been the set piece of the entire series (lot of their writers had moved to P&R apparently). None fell off the cliff in terms of quality like 30 Rock, who just stopped being funny after series 4. Less Cerie, 2-for and writers room.

There seems to be a tipping point when shows gain popularity and network expectation where things falter. Characters end up being parodies of themselves. Its what sells the t-shirts and merchandise I suppose.

P&R at its best was just the most pleasant, fun, and smart conventional comedy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's 2 types of people in this thread. People who've voted for Always Sunny and people who haven't seen Always Sunny :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Little bit surprised at how "It's Always.." is in the lead. I find it quite hit-and-miss whereas the average quality of "Parks & Recreation" is far higher. P&R also has more depth where IASIP basically relies on the same character gags each week: everyone's an a$$hole to each other (and especially to Dee).

Liam O wrote: »
    There's 2 types of people in this thread. People who've voted for Always Sunny and people who haven't seen Always Sunny :p

Not true ;)

this is like any of the greatest series ever thread, 2-3 battle it out, but in the end the wire always wins, just like you know IASIP would walk this, and anyone whos watches it would know this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

From that list, I have seen:
    - The US Office (up until Carrel's departure anyway)
    - Veep
    - Two And A Half Men (a few episodes)
    - 30 Rock
    - The Big Bang Theory (about 10-15 episodes)

The Office and 30 Rock are pretty great but Veep is in a class of its own. A wonderful ensemble cast headlined by a career best performance by Julia Louis-Dreyfus with consistently hilarious scripts.

I SHOULD like The Big Bang Theory because I loved Friends and Frasier and it seems to be pitched as a mashup of the two. Sheldon could actually have been a decent character (a Niles Crane for the current generation) but he is a one dimensional character and the jokes based around his intelligence and/or social ineptitude get old very quick. Niles was much more interesting (and endearing). It tries so hard to be funny, witty and intelligent but ends up failing on all counts. It tries to market itself as a "sitcom about nerds" but it is actually very generic with a few random references to Star Trek and physics thrown in. I'm surprised it is so popular.

If you really want a funny and witty sitcom whose characters could be members of Mensa, see Frasier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement