Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We can't find a house to rent!

Options
  • 14-09-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Myself and my partner are looking to rent. We have two kids and are currently living with my mother.
    We are in cork and my god are finding it very hard. We have work reference from our permanent Jobs. Money wont be a problem. It's unreal the amount of interest on every house.
    Any advise or tips to help us out thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have heard the same from everyone at the moment around Cork. It's doubly hard this time of year because you have the students coming back as well. Students often suck up any vacant family homes this time of year by sharing.

Only advice I can give you is up the dosh, or wait until may/june.

Maybe try a good distance away from the colleges as well. Consider carrigaline, ballincollig, glanmire etc if you can't get the suburbs. All have good bus links and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oddballpost

Thanks for replying. We have been looking at all those places and even further carrigtwohill midleton etc.
    Tbh we are looking for about 3 mths. Any time we love somewhere we don't get it. Im seriously disheartened now. Is it because of our babies? Is it because we haven't rented for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Myself and my boyfriend recently moved in Cork too and after two months of searching we came to three conclusions:
    1. Its a landlords market- its a compromise of lowering expectations and/or raising the amount you want to spend on rent per month.
    2. As soon as you see the place and like it say you want it and have the agreement and deposit paid asap (there's no chance to walk away and think about it these days- when I was in Dublin it was nearly a case of the deposit exchanging hands there and then)- ring straight away and try to arrange to be the first viewers as loads of places were gone.
    3. Don't discount the places that don't have pictures up on daft- in our experience many were better than those with 20 pics up. In our places case it was because the previous tenant wasn't out yet.

Its an exhausting search and luck plays a part in it but hopefully you'll find somewhere soon!

Thanks. We have been in some odd situations. Like one house had five couples looking at once, everyone rooting through tenants stuff and one guy running down saying he will take it and owner said ok. Didnt ask for ref or anything after lists of things on the ad.
    I find the agents the worst. Houses are up for weeks with loads of interest and they never seem to let them.
    Im fed up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I found certain agents are worth avoiding. In the end we dealt with landlords directly because we had five appointments where nobody turned up and when we rang told us it was gone. The lack of courtesy of agents really rubbed on me. Hopefully after the post student rush things will ease up again. I was told that November is one of the best times to househunt down here- don't know how true that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 homerno

tinz18 wrote: »
    I found certain agents are worth avoiding. In the end we dealt with landlords directly because we had five appointments where nobody turned up and when we rang told us it was gone. The lack of courtesy of agents really rubbed on me. Hopefully after the post student rush things will ease up again. I was told that November is one of the best times to househunt down here- don't know how true that is.

five appointments where nobody turned up! thats shocking what the hell is wrong with people,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm in the same boat OP except I'm looking with my friend. We're both guys so that's already a black mark against us. We've been to 15 places in 6 weeks and made 5 offers but haven't had any luck so far. It's really disheartening. Last week we viewed a place that turned out to be very basic (ex student house). It was an open viewing and there were people queuing up to see it.

We're now looking at places that are €200 higher than our original maximum price as that seems to be our only chance of weeding out the competition. The worst thing is is that there are plenty of empty units all over the city that are tied up in NAMA or whatever. For example only 70 of the 270 units in the Elyssian are occupied.

I read in the SBP today that AIB and BOI are going putting 1500 houses on the market in the next few weeks. All repossessed Buy-to-lets in large urban areas. Hopefully that should lubricate the system a little bit because at the moment both the buy and renting markets are clogged up with hardly any liquidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

None of the things you see as obstacles to cheaper rent are actually so. Dublin needs housing built and the appropriate transport infrastructure to serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm in the same boat OP except I'm looking with my friend. We're both guys so that's already a black mark against us. We've been to 15 places in 6 weeks and made 5 offers but haven't had any luck so far. It's really disheartening. Last week we viewed a place that turned out to be very basic (ex student house). It was an open viewing and there were people queuing up to see it.

We're now looking at places that are €200 higher than our original maximum price as that seems to be our only chance of weeding out the competition. The worst thing is is that there are plenty of empty units all over the city that are tied up in NAMA or whatever. For example only 70 of the 270 units in the Elyssian are occupied.

I read in the SBP today that AIB and BOI are going putting 1500 houses on the market in the next few weeks. All repossessed Buy-to-lets in large urban areas. Hopefully that should lubricate the system a little bit because at the moment both the buy and renting markets are clogged up with hardly any liquidity.

Wouldn't you know it. Finally got a place this morning. Chin up OP

We have given up now at this stage. The prices have gone up by 200e in the areas we looking at. I mean 1100 for a 3 bed townhouse with crap furniture. Forget that. Best of luck with your new place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Any luck yet OP? What areas are you looking at? Cobh has 26 places on daft but carrigaline only has 2 places. Try the local supermarket notice boards too

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

We have given up now at this stage. The prices have gone up by 200e in the areas we looking at. I mean 1100 for a 3 bed townhouse with crap furniture. Forget that. Best of luck with your new place

On the bright side 1100 wouldnt get you a 1 bed hovel in some parts of Dublin!

Advertisement