Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Problem with iPhone 5s

• 14-09-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I have a problem in that the apple logo is stuck on the screen with a dark background. It's been like that for a few days now. Anyone ever experience this and how did you fix it?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you tried a full reset? Hold the home button and the power button till phone shuts down (screen goes black)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

5s is still in warranty. Ring Apple if a reset doesn't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Have you tried a full reset? Hold the home button and the power button till phone shuts down (screen goes black)

Plugged it in to the laptop and did a factory reset. Lost everything :mad: Apps, 2000 photos, contacts, conversations, messages, wifi connections etc. Absolutely everything. Back up where possible, folks!

cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If it's a 5S it should have iCloud backup enabled. Have you checked?

Zcott wrote: »
    If it's a 5S it should have iCloud backup enabled. Have you checked?

No I haven't checked actually. It seems some apps are stored on iCloud but I'm not sure if I ever backed it up myself. How do I check? Back in to iTunes is it?

• Advertisement

In Settings, check under iCloud and then usage to see if a backup was made. If so, just reset all settings and data under general > reset and restore from iCloud backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

BOHtox wrote: »
    No I haven't checked actually. It seems some apps are stored on iCloud but I'm not sure if I ever backed it up myself. How do I check? Back in to iTunes is it?

The support page has a lot of details... http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4036

Any joy?

Thanks lads. I'm pretty busy with college and work so only had a look at this now. Looks like I didn't back anything up but it looks pretty simple to do. I'm definitely gonna have a look at doing it every few months. And the morale of the story is definitely keep a back up when you can! Imagine the trouble I could have been saved? Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Always back up to the cloud, people. Has The Fappening taught us nothing?!?

• Advertisement

One thing I have noticed is things like "cellular data" now says "mobile data" and a few subtle differences like. How can I change that back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

One thing I have noticed is things like "cellular data" now says "mobile data" and a few subtle differences like. How can I change that back?

For that you just change the language from English (read American) to UK English. As for backup, I find iCloud handy, but the standard free 5GB is hardly sufficient and the charges for more storage are a bit steep (as usual with apple).
    I generally back-up on my MacBook, but recently found a charge cable with back-up built in. Now if only apple would make this their standard cable (not gonna happen):
    Easiest back-up as far as I'm concerned (but be prepared to wait about a year to get it):
    http://igg.me/at/bleep/x/4033518

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

flyguy wrote: »
    For that you just change the language from English (read American) to UK English. As for backup, I find iCloud handy, but the standard free 5GB is hardly sufficient and the charges for more storage are a bit steep (as usual with apple).
    I generally back-up on my MacBook, but recently found a charge cable with back-up built in. Now if only apple would make this their standard cable (not gonna happen):
    Easiest back-up as far as I'm concerned (but be prepared to wait about a year to get it):
    http://igg.me/at/bleep/x/4033518

So you think 20gb of cloud storage for €10.99 a year is worse value than paying $40 for a 16gb device that you will get god knows when?

Sounds like you were using US English before but now you're using UK English.

Settings > General > Language & Region

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

guil wrote: »
    So you think 20gb of cloud storage for €10.99 a year is worse value than paying $40 for a 16gb device that you will get god knows when?

And which could easily be broken or lost.

I can't imagine anything easier than iCloud for backup. 5GB is plenty. I have 2GB free remaining and I backup an iPhone, an iPad and a two MacBooks. It's the essentials like settings and documents that matter most. Media can be stored elsewhere.

guil wrote: »
    And which could easily be broken or lost.

I can't imagine anything easier than iCloud for backup. 5GB is plenty. I have 2GB free remaining and I backup an iPhone, an iPad and a two MacBooks. It's the essentials like settings and documents that matter most. Media can be stored elsewhere.

I guess various users suit different solutions. I don't like te hassle of different backups in various locations.
    All in one place (including videos/photos etc) daily and easy.
    With the iPhone 6/6+ and the ever larger file sizes I think/hope most -smart- users will opt for the 64GB version, as 16GB hasn't been enough a while unless you were already storing most files in a cloud.
    So iCloud and cable both good options, however if you like it all in one place 5GB or even 20 won't do, the next level is 200GB/€3.99month (afaik yearly option is gone). Obviously the 16gb cable won't do either, it would have to be the 64 (would have preferred 128).
    Compare those 2 and you'll spend less if the cable lasts beyond 18months.
    For me the added benefit of not having to access iCloud while roaming (out of Ireland weekly) and the fact most people need more than 1 cable anyway (@€;19) seems the cable is a better solution for me.
    Lastly I don't think the average user will be as internet/tech skilled as most here so they either won't backup (how many stories here of lost/broken phones without backup) or want it all in one place.
    Like I said, different users diffent solutions...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iCloud Backup is pretty non-techy friendly in fairness. Most people probably don't even realise that it's making nightly backups. What its backing up in most cases is the essential stuff for most people - contacts, camera roll, settings, etc, stuff that doesn't use much space. Apps don't need to be backed up. Music is usually stored elsewhere or if purchased from iTunes (as is likely with non-techies) doesn't need to be backed up either.

But I agree that 16GB iPhone storage and in turn 5GB iCloud storage probably isn't enough anymore, especially now with iCloud Photo Library.

I noticed this morning when I woke up that my phone was complaining that my iCloud was full. Turns out that iCloud backups were automatically enabled after the update. I promptly disabled it; I back up my phone to my computer and want nothing up there.

Karsini wrote: »
    I noticed this morning when I woke up that my phone was complaining that my iCloud was full. Turns out that iCloud backups were automatically enabled after the update. I promptly disabled it; I back up my phone to my computer and want nothing up there.

I suspect you're in the minority for this one. For the normal user, iCloud backup is a godsend.

To be honest I don't trust keeping anything in the cloud, and I think the recent leaking of celebrity photos justified my stance. I work in the IT sector too!

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    To be honest I don't trust keeping anything in the cloud, and I think the recent leaking of celebrity photos justified my stance. I work in the IT sector too!

Celebrities are always going to be ripe for having their accounts socially engineered. The average person has nothing in their account worth stealing. Use a secure password with 2 factor authentication enabled and make sure the email associated with the account is also secure and you have little to worry about.

iCloud Backup is pretty non-techy friendly in fairness. Most people probably don't even realise that it's making nightly backups. What its backing up in most cases is the essential stuff for most people - contacts, camera roll, settings, etc, stuff that doesn't use much space. Apps don't need to be backed up. Music is usually stored elsewhere or if purchased from iTunes (as is likely with non-techies) doesn't need to be backed up either.

But I agree that 16GB iPhone storage and in turn 5GB iCloud storage probably isn't enough anymore, especially now with iCloud Photo Library.

I completely agree that iCloud is great. Problem is people don't set it up or there's isn't enough storage on it. I also agree that lots of things don't need to be backed up, however -and even apple said this in the last keynote- most of us now use the iPhone camera as their only camera. My cameraroll alone is 13GB (iphone2/3G/3GS/4/5/5S) and that's without most videos which I often move my Mac.
    You can't deny that the "bleep" backup cable http://igg.me/at/bleep/x/4033518 is very handy. It pretty much does what icloud does but local (covers those afraid of the cloud) and is a one-off instead of a monthly recurring expense.
    Best solution though would be Apple giving you the same (free) iCloud storage as you have on your device... If only...

Advertisement