Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed repeat exam in 3rd year HELP

• 14-09-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I had one subject to repeat in my 3rd year course and I failed it, I couldnt believe it I left that repeat exam with the biggest smile on my face and just looking at that result at 2pm on Thursday crushed me. I went straight to the Head of Department in regards to possibly carrying on a failed subject into 4th year of my course which is a separate course to the 3 yr course I was doing. He said he wasn't sure if I could or not and said they would have a meeting with my other lectures about it next week. I'm hanging on to this hope as college was the only thing I had going for me and now I don't have a degree etc everything I had planned and hoped for is all over the place. I guess I'm just wondering is it at all possible to go on to 4th year with one failed subject or should I just give up on that dream? My attendance is top notch if that would somehow help me and I passed everything else including work experience and my project which I considered was the most likely thing I would fail so I just don't know... Any help would be grateful. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

It would be worth asking the lecturer to see the paper for the subject that you have not passed.

While there ask them to check the addition of the marks if it does not look right. Also enquire about any continuous assessment done as part of the subject.

It sounds like it is an add on course and the entry requirement would be completing the course that you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Convey1

Thanks for the reply I'll see into getting my exam looked over again. When I was speaking to the head of department, one of my lecturers was there at the time and said if it was a practical assessment it would be okay to carry it on but it being a theory exam he wasn't sure, I get the feeling they didn't want to tell me I couldn't progress face to face because I keep on clinging on to this ti
    ny bit of hope. Just waiting a whole year to do it again, I just feel Im not able the past few days I been feeling really depressed a whole year of I just......:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you do have to repeat the exam next year, than that's just the way it is. It's great that you are so focused on the course, but think of the possibilities offered by a year off with just one exam to do before rejoining fourth year. It'll fly in. With only one subject to work for you'll ace it. You can work for the year. Be the only fourth year with money. You can read ahead. The college may let you audit classes during the year. You'll be way ahead by the time you do join fourth year.

It may seem bleak now, but there are positive possibilities. Crisis is opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Convey1

All my friend's have been saying more or less the same thing I really want to believe all that but I don't know where my repeat exam went wrong. I read questions im certain I knew the answer too I never felt more confident after finishing the exam so what if it goes wrong again?? Also no luck in the job department as I've been looking, were I live there isn't much going on and no car and I can't stand being on the dole. I've been told these are the situations you either come through for the better or dwell on it forever and I fear I'll become bitter because of this I see it already happening maybe im just really sad with my birthday being tomorrow. Thanks though I hope your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Happy birthday.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Convey1 wrote: »
    All my friend's have been saying more or less the same thing I really want to believe all that but I don't know where my repeat exam went wrong. I read questions im certain I knew the answer too I never felt more confident after finishing the exam so what if it goes wrong again?? Also no luck in the job department as I've been looking, were I live there isn't much going on and no car and I can't stand being on the dole. I've been told these are the situations you either come through for the better or dwell on it forever and I fear I'll become bitter because of this I see it already happening maybe im just really sad with my birthday being tomorrow. Thanks though I hope your right.

That is why it is worth getting it checked so you can be sure that there was not a mistake, and to better understand where you might have gone wrong.

It is worth keeping in contact the lecturer to make sure that there are no changes in the material this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭c.a.r.l

dingding wrote: »
    That is why it is worth getting it checked so you can be sure that there was not a mistake, and to better understand where you might have gone wrong.

It is worth keeping in contact the lecturer to make sure that there are no changes in the material this year.

Any update?

Advertisement