Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Whippets?

• 14-09-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Anyone an owner of a whippet or such type? We're getting our first foster tomorrow, a lovely fawn whippet by the name of Lindy. I've never even touched one before, I've heard they are great couch potatoes, but is there anything else I should know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They HATE the cold! I'd get a few blankets for her if she doesn't have her own. Don't take much walking either. They make lovely house dogs, so I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

They HATE the cold! I'd get a few blankets for her if she doesn't have her own. Don't take much walking either. They make lovely house dogs, so I'm told.

Ooh, never even thought of cold, I've never had a short-haired dog before! Got some blankets I knitted for the baby so I'll hoke them out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Anyone an owner of a whippet or such type? We're getting our first foster tomorrow, a lovely fawn whippet by the name of Lindy. I've never even touched one before, I've heard they are great couch potatoes, but is there anything else I should know?

I've fond memories as a lad of goin ferreting of a morning and watching the whippets at work. Fantastic little whirlwinds. Any I knew seemed to work with a smile on their face. I never saw one with a bad bone in it's body!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oooohhhhh :o
    I've never met a bad one, to be honest.
    Great characters in an understated sort of way, they don't shove it in your face that they're hilarious, they just are! I hope that makes some sort of sense.
    They can be a little shy and take a little while to warm up to strangers, but not in a bad way. They're just not an in-your-face sort of dog.
    Great choice, I think they're a fantastic all-round family dog. I think we'll be looking at a sighthound convert in a couple of weeks:o

DBB wrote: »
    Oooohhhhh :o
    I've never met a bad one, to be honest.
    Great characters in an understated sort of way, they don't shove it in your face that they're hilarious, they just are! I hope that makes some sort of sense.
    They can be a little shy and take a little while to warm up to strangers, but not in a bad way. They're just not an in-your-face sort of dog.
    Great choice, I think they're a fantastic all-round family dog. I think we'll be looking at a sighthound convert in a couple of weeks:o

Yeah the lady that's bringing her down did say she was very shy and quiet and needed a lot of TLC. I'm beside myself with excitement - took Shadow's dog bowls back out of the press and washed his squeakies for her and everything.

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to utterly fail at fostering? :o

• Advertisement

Ooh, never even thought of cold, I've never had a short-haired dog before! Got some blankets I knitted for the baby so I'll hoke them out :D

Welcome to the world of pyjamas for sighthounds :D
    http://www.houndstoothchic.com/pyjamas.html
    The last whippet home I was in, all four of the whippets fell out the door to greet me in their jimmy-jams, delighted with themselves :cool:

DBB wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of pyjamas for sighthounds :D
    http://www.houndstoothchic.com/pyjamas.html
    The last whippet home I was in, all four of the whippets fell out the door to greet me in their jimmy-jams, delighted with themselves :cool:

Oh my god.
    :pac:

Actually just found a few patterns for knitted and crocheted ones.
    I may give my human baby up for adoption, I'll not be able to afford to clothe them both :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whippets are absolutely adorable. Healthy dogs too, generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Did you know that I was actually going to suggest a sighthound for you in your last thread?

I think the breed would be a lovely fit. Can't wait to see what you think of your foster!

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    Did you know that I was actually going to suggest a sighthound for you in your last thread?

I think the breed would be a lovely fit. Can't wait to see what you think of your foster!

We're very much missing a doggy presence in the house, so I'm BESIDE MYSELF with excitement to meet her! It certainly helps that she is nothing like Shadow physically. She's to get a checkup at the vets this evening and if she gets the all clear, she's being dropped down to us. I wouldn't be surprised if she never leaves :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I fostered a Whippet last xmas and I utterly fell in love. I only had her for 2 weeks but I was a snivelling mess handing her back to the shelter. :o She was adorable, so gentle and was happy with a sprint around the park once a day with a few shorter walks in between. Fantastic dogs and the hardest foster to hand back by far for me as I've always wanted one.

The ooooonly negative thing I have to say is I didn't 100% trust her around cats. She would happily tolerate them up on the couch, walking around etc but any quicker movements she was fully engaged in what was going on....and did give the odd chase. I never left them on their own together just in case, but they can integrate perfectly well with cats over time though.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I fostered a Whippet last xmas and I utterly fell in love. I only had her for 2 weeks but I was a snivelling mess handing her back to the shelter. :o She was adorable, so gentle and was happy with a sprint around the park once a day with a few shorter walks in between. Fantastic dogs and the hardest foster to hand back by far for me as I've always wanted one.

The ooooonly negative thing I have to say is I didn't 100% trust her around cats. She would happily tolerate them up on the couch, walking around etc but any quicker movements she was fully engaged in what was going on....and did give the odd chase. I never left them on their own together just in case, but they can integrate perfectly well with cats over time though.

Well we have no cats, and no family or friends do so in that sense it should be fine. I did have two pet rats which I was taking into consideration, but they've both passed away now, so we're totally pet-free :( If anything, I will be getting a troop of dogs, always wanted as many as I can fit into my house :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'm very jealous :P You'll have to post a pic now this evening when you get her.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm very jealous :P You'll have to post a pic now this evening when you get her.

You guys will be totally harassed by me over the next while :pac:
    I wasn't even sure if I was ready for another dog in the house, but the original foster boy that was meant to come to us yesterday had to go to the vets and stay close by. I was utterly heartbroken!
    OH is very excited. He claims that we probably won't keep her because he doesn't really like sighthounds. Then again, he didn't like collies until he met Shadow :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Those pjs are sooooo cute, I'm sending a link to a lady I know with a little whippet that won't get out of bed on cold days. :D

mymo wrote: »
    Those pjs are sooooo cute, I'm sending a link to a lady I know with a little whippet that won't get out of bed on cold days. :D

Bit like myself then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Whippets are a fantastic dog to have as a pet. We have had Bertie for a couple of years now and he has been a great dog and i would recommend them to anyone.

If you want a dog who is quiet in the house - They literally sleep or at least rest 18 hours a day but are ready to go at a moments notice.

Is affectionate and loving - They will greet you every time with massive enthusiasm and a wagging tail. They love to cuddle up with you on the sofa and will lean on you and use you as a pillow given half a chance.

Need relatively little walking - A couple of half hour walks a day should suffice but they really love a good sprint so a nice secure space once in a while is ideal. They will also walk for hours if you let them. We took Bertie to the Lake District last year and walked up and down mountains for hours on end and he was as happy as larry.

Is good with children - as long as they are taught not to be boisterous around them. They will take a certain amount of play then retire to there bed when they want to be alone.

Eats relatively little - Bertie certainly isnt food obsessed and is happy with his 2 meals a day. He often leaves food in his bowl to return to when he wants it rather than gobbling up a whole bowl at a time.

Good with other dogs - Bertie loves all dogs and loves a sniff and play with all shapes and sizes over the park if there owners let him.

Relatively low shedding. I was surprised at how many short little hairs ive found all over the house but nowhere near as bad as some breeds.

On the negative side is there prey drive. Bertie hates cats with a passion and goes mad at the mere sight of one. Also no matter how much training he has had his recall is only about 80% as the tunnel vision when chasing and running takes over and nothing but nothing can stop him.

As said before they hate the cold and need a good warm blanket at night. After saying that Bertie wont wear his specially designed and very expensive coat when out for a walk. He starts limping and acting all hurt and down trodden when you put it on. Walking around in the cold and wet doesnt seem to bother him at all but he loves warm blankets and a soft bed at home.

Sorry if i have ranted on but I really think that whippets and sight hounds in general are overlooked and under appreciated as pet dogs and should be given a chance to prove how great they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Of all the visits to maxi zoo Limerick, and all the dogs we've met, this pic for me, sums up the one day that sticks out in my mind.

Such a lovely breed of dog. Best of luck SSB!

8EA8C879-DB71-4881-93F6-CB047E495EF5-1615-000000D68A1F4534_zpsc459f859.jpg

Hooked wrote: »

Such a lovely breed of dog. Best of luck SSB!

Thanks, I'm super excited! Just hoping she gets the all-clear at the vets this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I was a very happy of a Whippet for 17 years (Yes, Seventeen)

- they don't like the cold. in winter a coat is a must have and if the weather is really nasty, they probably won' even want to step out of the house

- they are very lazy indoors and will always be found on the couch / bed

- they are NOT suitable for long walks. a few sprints once or twice a day and they're happy

- despite what ignorant and uneducated people will throw at you , comments such as "feed your dog" etc dont pay attention to them, they have a good appetite

- no real health issues as long as they are kept indoors but watch out they have a sensitive stomach, stick to the same food, that's generally the rule for most dogs anyway but especially for Whippets

- Never met a bad tempered Whippet, they are very gentle

- give him/her Calcium supplements from the very start so he/she get(s) the "proper Whippet ears"

- get a proper "Whippet collar"

... that's all I can think of for now. You will never regret being the proud parent of a Whippet, great dogs !

Well we have blankets at the ready and I'll knit some coats and jumpers if she's coming to stay with me.
    On the topic of food, what is best for the breed? I can't remember from when I fostered with them before if they supplied me with food or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd ask the rescue what she was fed on and get some of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

My fella lego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Any news?

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Any news?

She got delayed after her vet visit, won't be coming to me until Saturday at the earliest! :(
    Feel a bit silly after buying all of these toys :pac:

She got delayed after her vet visit, won't be coming to me until Saturday at the earliest! :(

Don't worry, you'll get to pick all the pieces of them off the floor over the coming months I'm sure :p

She will be soooo worth the wait. I have a lurcher and sighthounds will just melt your heart. Cannot wait to see pics and subscribed to this thread. :D

I've been informed she is already booked to travel to a rescue in the UK, but here's the picture of her that I was sent.
    Such a beauty!

Her name is Lindy, but I feel like she should be called Sheba, or Queen Elizabeth or Duchess!
    FemaleinAshtonAug142014_zpse97c60a1.jpg

• Advertisement

OMG, she is gorgeous. I got my lovely lurcher from a rescue in the UK who was rescued from Ireland. Its mad cos where I walk her now after having her in the uk for many years is actually the area where she was rescued from. I often wondered why she was so clingy (not in her nature unless shes poorly) when I took her for certain walks.

Advertisement