Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Whippets?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

She doesn't look like a pure whippet to me. Would imagine she has some saluki in her too. The saluki types can be a little more shy and sensitive than a full whippet, and oh yeah, stubborn!! She's lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah def a bit of saluki in there. She's gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

She really is beautiful, Im beside myself with excitement waiting for Saturday. Shes going to rescue early next month and has a lot of interest already! Ill cry like a baby when they take her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    She really is beautiful, Im beside myself with excitement waiting for Saturday. Shes going to rescue early next month and has a lot of interest already! Ill cry like a baby when they take her!

You could become a "failed fosterer" if you want to i.e.keep her....just sayin :P

anniehoo wrote: »
    You could become a "failed fosterer" if you want to i.e.keep her....just sayin :P

Two people have already applied to rehome her with the UK rescue she is going to, so I'll be happy to let her go and make room for another!
    Yeah, happy... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Two people have already applied to rehome her with the UK rescue she is going to, so I'll be happy to let her go and make room for another!
    Yeah, happy... :pac:

She's gorgeous ShaBear :), will no doubt be a though day considering doing some fostering myself but think I would have a lot of trouble letting go, currently have a greyhound they're fantastic dogs 45mph couch potatoes :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

DBB wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of pyjamas for sighthounds :D
    http://www.houndstoothchic.com/pyjamas.html
    The last whippet home I was in, all four of the whippets fell out the door to greet me in their jimmy-jams, delighted with themselves :cool:

Whippet onesies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If I had to describe how fox felt about his in a word....I would say...

Embarrassed?

FlplFgm.jpg

No embarrassment, he looks FABULOUS :D

I'm really hoping to hear something back about her today or tomorrow. I got so excited about her and the rescue in the UK has promised to keep me updated on her (the first dog I ever fostered was a 3 month old lurcher that went to a rescue in Scotland and despite best efforts from me and the associated Irish rescue, I never heard about him again :( He was, out of all the foster dogs, the one that I wish I could have kept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

We took in a greyhound a number of years ago. She was skin and bone and had very bad mange. (ex racer, boo to the racing industry :()A lady we got in touch with fostered greyhounds and lurchers and had contacts in the UK for rehoming (apparently they are more into rehoming them and we are way behind) She took her in to "foster" and...they lived happily ever after! She couldn't bear to give her away! :P

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We took in a greyhound a number of years ago. She was skin and bone and had very bad mange. (ex racer, boo to the racing industry :()A lady we got in touch with fostered greyhounds and lurchers and had contacts in the UK for rehoming (apparently they are more into rehoming them and we are way behind) She took her in to "foster" and...they lived happily ever after! She couldn't bear to give her away! :P

I imagine I'll have one of those eventually. Hoping to get a foster in here soon, a family friend of my MIL has been hassling us to take one of her most recent litter of pups or she'll put them all down on us :( I'd not give into the scare tactics even though I know she'll do it, they are pitbull x godknowswhat. I'd have no objection to the breed whatsoever, but the hassle you'd get in this small town for having one around a baby or out on the streets around other people would be headmelting. Never mind not being able to get pet insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Just wanted to say well done for fostering after losing your own dog (belated condolences ) so recently.

Be warned Greys/lurchers are like infectious mould they kind of grow on you and whats worse its hard to have one :D

Your foster girl is gorgeous. She has saluki ears and eyes that would melt your heart.

I would recommend getting a martingale collar for her - rescue should give you one as they can slip out of regular collars very easily.

Enjoy the sight hound experience.

Inexile wrote: »
    Just wanted to say well done for fostering after losing your own dog (belated condolences ) so recently.

Be warned Greys/lurchers are like infectious mould they kind of grow on you and whats worse its hard to have one :D

Your foster girl is gorgeous. She has saluki ears and eyes that would melt your heart.

I would recommend getting a martingale collar for her - rescue should give you one as they can slip out of regular collars very easily.

Enjoy the sight hound experience.

We're going to collect her at 5 tomorrow. I am BESIDE myself with excitement. I miss doggy cuddles and kisses so bloody much! They said they have everything ready for her so I'll double check for the collar. Don't mind getting one myself anyway :p

Two hours and counting.

Seriously, can you guys tell how excited I am? Me and OH sat up all night reminiscing about Shadow and it ended very much on a "Seriously, a dog NEEDS to be in this family" note. I'm so nervous too, it's just been Shadow and me for the past 11 years, I have no idea how I'll adjust to a completely different personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Best of luck, I know how you feel, we were the same before we got our rescue. You will fall in love just think of cuddles you'll get tonight :-)

Her Royal Highness, Queen Duchess-Regent of Lindy :pac:
    She is the most beautiful thing I ever laid eyes on. I cried when I kissed her for the first time! She loves Abigail (my 8 week old daughter) and is sound asleep on the armchair, save for VERY waggy tails when I come into the room (I see why they call them whip-pets :p )

10708321_10152349139847227_1888925643_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Uh oh ShaShaBear.... how on earth are you going to let her go? :o

She's fab :)

DBB wrote: »
    Uh oh ShaShaBear.... how on earth are you going to let her go? :o

She's fab :)

I'm trying not to think about it, really! She's perked up so much since she got settled and to be honest when I think about her leaving it makes me really upset! :( But I definitely can see a sighthound making permanent residence here at some point!

She has her legs all stretched out and dangly and it looks hilarious.

How do you guys not end up on Animal Hoarders every week?

10601126_10152349212547227_1811421384_n-1.jpg

Aw, she looks very settled already. She's lovely. Sighthounds really do have a way of getting under your skin!

Two things:

A. I wouldn't walk her in that collar. It could easily slip over her neck. She needs a sighthound specific one (martingale) or a harness.

B. Beware of certain types who will be very interested in her for all the wrong reasons (ie hunting/breeding) Never leave her outside alone when you go out or tied up outside shops etc. Be prepared that these people may stop you when you are out walking and be sure to let them know that she is spayed/chipped and has some kind of medical condition that makes her rubbish at hunting.

Enjoy her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

She is beautiful! Know that she is going to a home that really wants her but what you are doing for her is so precious...My lil guy came from a fosterer and I couldn't thank the person enough for letting go of such a sweet, well rounded dog and what they did to help him become that after a tough start.

• Advertisement

Vel wrote: »
    Aw, she looks very settled already. She's lovely. Sighthounds really do have a way of getting under your skin!

Two things:

A. I wouldn't walk her in that collar. It could easily slip over her neck. She needs a sighthound specific one (martingale) or a harness.

B. Beware of certain types who will be very interested in her for all the wrong reasons (ie hunting/breeding) Never leave her outside alone when you go out or tied up outside shops etc. Be prepared that these people may stop you when you are out walking and be sure to let them know that she is spayed/chipped and has some kind of medical condition that makes her rubbish at hunting.

Enjoy her!

We got given a martingale one for her to walk with, this one just has her rescue tag and her microchip tag on it so we're going to keep the other just for walkies :o (It just looks really uncomfy!)
    We always kept Shadow inside when we went out anyway, so it's not a change to do it for her :) and we both walk together as we have the baby in the pram and she's a bit wary of the wheels to walk her beside me alone just yet so she'd never be left outside if I had to go to the shop (honestly don't know why people do that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

She is so beautiful shashabear, really looks at home with you

Okay guys, here's a new one for me.

Why does she keep flipping her bowl of dog food? She's on the stuff the rescue gave me and she has no problem eating it, but insists on using her paw to flip the bowl upside down to knock all the food out before she will touch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So does she then eat the food from the floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

She is like the love child of my two (a saluki and a whippet) I love her.

I use the heavyish dog bowls with a wide base, otherwise the containers get flipped around.

muddypaws wrote: »
    So does she then eat the food from the floor?

Yeah, but we just mixed it with a little bit of gravy and she had no problem polishing the entire bowl off without tipping it :p
    fits wrote: »
    She is like the love child of my two (a saluki and a whippet) I love her.

I use the heavyish dog bowls with a wide base, otherwise the containers get flipped around.

She's got such a lovely long, fluffy tail like a saluki! And has spent all day on the couch with me :p Just crocheting a jumper for her, can't wait to see it on her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you know where she came from? Maybe if she lived in a kennel, she had a bowl attached to the door, so just isn't used to the bowl being on the floor. Glad you found a way round it :D

I used to send the odd dog to the rescue that Lindy went to and am a member of their forum. Look who I spotted today! Her new foster mum is a professional photographer as you can see!

D3S_2342.jpg

Lindy_zpsf04d0793.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That top picture is the funniest thing I've ever seen :D

• Advertisement

She did indeed. There was many a tear shed as she was packed up and sent off, but her new foster mum keeps me updated daily and I've been told she has wooed just about everyone in the rescue!

524142_679323175509216_3089895128010322482_n1.jpg

Advertisement