Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC for photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop

• 14-09-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I an Looking for new PC and trying to save a little by not buying Mac, so wonder if anyone can advice on specs.
    How important graphic card is for photo-editing? Read through few discussions and it looks like there is no agreement on this.
    I am looking at the following specs at the moment:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
    Intel Core i5 CPU with 4x 3000 MHz
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 2500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I use a imac myself so won't comment on the monitor / graphics card. However, I will say that you should try and match the package you buy (cpu, monitor, ram, graphics card etc) to the type of editing you do. I use a D800 and regularly have file sizes in the 2-3gig when doing compositing using raw files. What kind of user are you or plan to be? (heavy duty - lots of PP with big files sizes, or light touch / moderate editing?)

I ended up buying more RAM to cope with the workflow and filesizes I had. In general, I reckon you'll find 8gb way too low - particularly if using raw files. Would up this if you can afford it to 32bg. If the RAM slots are accessible - it may be cheaper to buy these online, seperate to your main purchase, and fit them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Here's a link to an Adobe tech discussion on building a PS machine. Bit old but I think it covers the needs for a p.c. dedicated to PS. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/09/how-to-set-up-a-great-photoshop-machine.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Up until recently I had been running this setup for PS/LR

i5 2500k (4 cores 3300 mhz)
    4 GB Ram
    1GB graphics card

Now I didn't find the setup to bad if I was just running PS or LR but I couldn't use both at the same time, I was pushed to upgrade the ram (to 12GB) because one of the plug-in I was using required a minimum of 8gb. Now with more ram I could use PS and LR at the same time without any problems. If I was you I would (assuming your budget allows) aim for 8GB as a minimum with the 16GB as a preference if your work flow relies on using both programs at the same time.

With that said the single best upgrade I have made with this computer is moving from a standard optical drive to and SSD as my primary drive. The speed at which you can open / save or move files is a great help. You don't have to get a large one, I only got 256 GB and still have my standard hard drives for mass storage so I move the files off the SSD once I have finished editing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned above, it depends a lot on what your camera is.
    if you're using a camera which has a 12 MP 8 bit output, your working file sizes will be one sixth of what a 36MP 16bit output camera would produce.
    the first will produce an image size of ~36MB, the second will produce one of ~216MB. which will place a much greater burden on your RAM requirements.

Advertisement