Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken spoke after 7,000km - time for new wheels?

• 15-09-2014 8:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

So this morning I broke a spoke in my rear wheel. The wheels have 7,000km in them (just as the spoke broke actually). I had a spoke key and was able to tighten the surrounding spokes enough to get the rest of the way to work.

Anyway, they are entry-level wheels, Shimano WHR-501, currently on sale for €125 for the pair on CRC. I only have the one road bike and I'm heavily dependent on it for commuting. Supposing my LBS tells me I need a new wheel - was I lucky in getting 7,000km out of entry-level wheel or am I better off upgrading?

I don't do any sportifs or anything, just commuting (around 250km per week).

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You could get the spoke replaced and the others checked before binning the wheel, could just be a problem with that spoke and you might get another 10k with no issues. That said, when something similar happened to me I ended up buying a set of Fulcrum 7s which have been bombproof ever since, and seemed to roll better from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You should be able to use a wheel until the rim wears out.

A broken spoke under normal riding conditions is not normal wear and tear, it's caused by manufacturing fault or badly tensioned spokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Get it checked at your LBS - if the rim is fairly good (quite straight, not too worn on brake tracks), then get a spoke fitted and ride on, but if some of the spokes are really tight from being used to pull in a crooked rim and/or the whole wheel is tired, then it might be time to invest again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

If you decide to replace them, Merlin is €30 cheaper than CRC:

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-r501-wheels-49086.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cheers for the advice.

The LBS just replaced the spoke, no need for further replacements. It was most likely caused by the rear derailleur hanger getting caught in the spokes about 1,000km ago.

Apparently I should get a good few more kms in before I need to replace the wheels. I'm tempted to get the replacement ones from Merlin anyway for when I do need to replace them. It's not a bad price and they've served me well so far.

Nigel's in Galway did the repair and were happy to do it on the spot at lunchtime :)

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭biketard

Time for a new bike, I'd say.

j/k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cheers for the advice.

The LBS just replaced the spoke, no need for further replacements. It was most likely caused by the rear derailleur hanger getting caught in the spokes about 1,000km ago.

Apparently I should get a good few more kms in before I need to replace the wheels. I'm tempted to get the replacement ones from Merlin anyway for when I do need to replace them. It's not a bad price and they've served me well so far.

Nigel's in Galway did the repair and were happy to do it on the spot at lunchtime :)

Thanks again!

Good stuff, glad you got sorted.

Advertisement