Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8 problem

• 15-09-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am using Windows 8 and I find it ok but every other day for apparently no reason my keyboard changes to a mode where a lot of the buttons become shortcuts, for instance if I try to type R the "run" tab comes up.

Currently my only solution is to shutdown/ restart the computer.

Is there any other way to turn off this feature?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sounds like StickyKeys. Can be turned off in Accessibility, under the Windows Control Panel.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

could also be a sticking windows key - press it a few times to see if that stops it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Neither of them worked, happened again this evening. I press R and run menu comes up etc Really annoying. Cannot find anything online about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

try an alternative keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Overheal wrote: »
    try an alternative keyboard

Yes, the odd time I use a wireless USB and a monitor with the laptop and it never happens.

I am using a Windows 7 interface program on Windows 8, it must be a bug it that. I can live with this minor bug but could not face Windows 8's interface day to day. Whoever is ultimately responsible for launching this OS should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

How old is the keyboard in question? I had a similar experience with some very weird behavior from an old Dell keyboard I had in the press a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

no always age either, the left click on my laptop sticks and it pisses me the **** off. Except the laptop was free and I got it 18 months ago. Mostly I'm pissed it happened and the MSRP was a grand

Advertisement