Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social neighbours in rented property

Options
  • 15-09-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with anti social neighbours in a rental property?

Since the family moved into the area two months ago we've had gardai up on a regular basis. The house is privately rented and the landlord is registered with the PTRB but I have no contact details for him and he never seems to be around.

Does anyone know if I can request these details from the PRTB or get them to contact him on my behalf?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with anti social neighbours in a rental property?

Since the family moved into the area two months ago we've had gardai up on a regular basis. The house is privately rented and the landlord is registered with the PTRB but I have no contact details for him and he never seems to be around.

Does anyone know if I can request these details from the PTRB or get them to contact him on my behalf?

LL is responsible for disruptions caused by his tenants if they have been brought to his attention and he does not take reasonable steps to overcome issue. I dont know if this information can be given out though. Is there a management company? They may be able to deal with LL as they would have details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    LL is responsible for disruptions caused by his tenants if they have been brought to his attention and he does not take reasonable steps to overcome issue. I dont know if this information can be given out though. Is there a management company? They may be able to deal with LL as they would have details.

Thanks for the reply, no there is no management company here. I wouldn't say he is aware of how bad things are, if he did he might be a bit more hands on but I have no way to contact him to give him the heads up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Anything and everything, constant blocking of my driveway by their cars, loud music at night, fighting on regular basis...all this I was able to live with - just about but its gotten worse over the past two weeks. Its a traveller family and they have become involved in a feud that has escalated over the past week or two, I had to phone gardai this morning as I couldn't leave the house to get to work, a guy was outside with a machete threatening the people in the home. I'm right next door and have a young child and I'm scared of damage to my car and home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Anything and everything, constant blocking of my driveway by their cars, loud music at night, fighting on regular basis...all this I was able to live with - just about but its gotten worse over the past two weeks. Its a traveller family and they have become involved in a feud that has escalated over the past week or two, I had to phone gardai this morning as I couldn't leave the house to get to work, a guy was outside with a machete threatening the people in the home. I'm right next door and have a young child and I'm scared of damage to my car and home.

Christ above :eek:

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if I can request these details from the PRTB or get them to contact him on my behalf?

Write to the PRTB, give a brief outline of the problems.
    they will give you the name and contact details of the landlord.
    I had problems with a rented house next to me a few years ago, the PRTB give me the contact details, I sent a registered letter to the landlord, and in fairness to him,he dealt with the issues straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ouy if curiosity way County are u in?

Blazer wrote: »
    Ouy if curiosity way County are u in?

I'm in Dublin. I've contacted gardai numerous times and they have been great but they can't do much about the little things.

I contacted to PRTB and have the form to get his details so I'll do that and hopefully he'll sort it out before it gets too bad. I'm in my own house 13 yrs and have had more gardai visits in the past two months since this lot moved in than in the whole of the previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

That sounds like a horrible situation to be in - I have to say I would hate for that to be thrown on me, whether it is a rented place or owner-occupied, so I have great sympathy for your situation.

The big difficulty you *may* have is that even if the LL is reasonable and motivated to take action, given the kind of people the tenants appear to be, you could be stuck with them for up to a year (or more) if they refuse to a)quieten down, b) vacate the premises peacefully and easily. If they are willing to break the law and behave to such an anti-social extent then I fear that they are likely to put the LL through the full rigors in terms of eviction process.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    That sounds like a horrible situation to be in - I have to say I would hate for that to be thrown on me, whether it is a rented place or owner-occupied, so I have great sympathy for your situation.

The big difficulty you *may* have is that even if the LL is reasonable and motivated to take action, given the kind of people the tenants appear to be, you could be stuck with them for up to a year (or more) if they refuse to a)quieten down, b) vacate the premises peacefully and easily. If they are willing to break the law and behave to such an anti-social extent then I fear that they are likely to put the LL through the full rigors in terms of eviction process.

Is it really that hard? They have already caused damage to his house, the inner pane of his double glazing has been smashed in one of the upstairs bedrooms and the guy this morning kicked the front door to such an extent I could see damage when I left. On that basis can he not get rid of them before they do more serious damage?

Is it really that hard? They have already caused damage to his house, the inner pane of his double glazing has been smashed in one of the upstairs bedrooms and the guy this morning kicked the front door to such an extent I could see damage when I left. On that basis can he not get rid of them before they do more serious damage?

The appropriate notice has to be served and if they leave in accordance with that grand, but if they don't, (and they don't sound like reasonable people) then the LL will need to start court proceedings, all the while the tenants can sit it out, rent free.

Eventually the sheriff would need to be called in etc.

The whole thing, including damage and clean up is likely the set the LL back a fair whack of money.

Paulor984 wrote: »
    What is the issue

see post 5 for some indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is it really that hard? ....

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A friend had similar problems with neighbours. The LL got her out but it cost him some cash to do so. She wrecked the kitchen the night before she left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

see post 5 for some indication.

You complained about other people in that post, not about your neighbours. Unless your neighbours were standing outside their own house with a machete threatening themselves?

srsly78 wrote: »
    You complained about other people in that post, not about your neighbours. Unless your neighbours were standing outside their own house with a machete threatening themselves?

WTF?

I didn't claim anything. I am not the OP.

The OP didn't just mention people outside with a machete either.

Loud Music, blocking driveway, fights etc.

Not sure what your problem is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭EmilyHoward

I would advise getting out of that property asap. The gardai, PRTB, landlords, management companies, letting agents, courts, etc are ridiculously slow in dealing with these kind of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

are you just trolling?

If the machete is intended for the neighbour then they have a right to complain about the neighbour

I would advise getting out of that property asap. The gardai, PRTB, landlords, management companies, letting agents, courts, etc are ridiculously slow in dealing with these kind of issues.

The OP might own the house/apartment or it might be within their rental budget etc. so not as easy to move on perhaps (especially given it is Dublin).

• Advertisement

He's their son and he was living there up until last week. It's not just that, there are other things as well that I posted, the late night music, the constant shouting and screaming that goes on until all hours, the cars that are parked in front of my driveway blocking my access despite the fact they have an empty driveway they never use. This incident has been the final straw, we've had gardai up a lot and when they arrive we feel under siege. Its a quite street with families and old people and we really don't need this trouble being brought to our door.

The OP might own the house/apartment or it might be within their rental budget etc. so not as easy to move on perhaps (especially given it is Dublin).

I'm a home owner so no chance of leaving and tbh I don't want to, its a nice neighbourhood with great people. Its only since this family moved in things have gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Sounds similar to a problem tenant I had ... I let the house out via an agency and they let the property to a family who sounds familiar to the one the OP describes.

From a LL point of view this is a total nightmare; the neighbours were calling me and filling me in on everything that was happening ... the reality was that I could do nothing apart from follow the proper eviction route.

The crux of the story is that I was blackmailed by the tenant in to giving over cash to get them to move (I didn't give as much as they demanded) .. the house was wrecked and cost a fortune to put right. Fortunatly the neighbours were understanding and we didn't fall out over it.

From instigating the eviction (notice or arrears etc ... ) it took just over four months, so I was left about 6 months with no rent, moving money to get them out and two months where the property wasn't fit to rent out again plus all my cleaning / repair bills.

In my case the guards had been to house on a couple of occasions, arrested the tenants etc .. but I still had to walk on egg shells as I knew one slip up on the procedure would trigger a compensation grab by the tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Op I feel your pain, I too had to put up with living beside not one, not two but three successive problem tenants. Two of the families were members of the travelling community. The land lord did not give a flying f*ck so long as he got his money.

Those four years were a nightmare! I had a single parent with her alco boyfriend who was handy with his fists on a regular basis, it isn't easy listening to little kids screaming "daddy stop, daddy no" and hearing things hitting the walls every night. They finally moved out after day of drinking turned into an all out brawl in their driveway and him driving off with her hanging on to the windscreen wipers, naturally the laws of physics dictated that she would fall off at some point and when she did she took the wiper with her. His punishment for this was to punch her full force in the face and knock her out in front of her children. Que the fire brigade, guards, ambulance and the Garda helicopter hovering over the road. I hope to god she left him after that!

Next family were travellers seemed nice at first, usual rows and drinking sessions ensued spilling out of the house on to the street. The did have a lovely brand new merc though, white it was, it was strange though as no one in the family appeared to have a job of any sort. They also had a love of horses preferring to park theirs up at the side of my house when I objected they very kindly let their horse eat my bay trees before bring them through the house "into the wesht" style to their postage stamp back garden to live.They left in the dark of night after a feud had escalated into the front door being broken down and the father being stabbed with a screwdriver in the chest.

The third and final family were travellers also and were trouble from the get go. I was woken up one morning at 6am by 3 guards in my back garden standing on the roof of my car to gain access to the back of their house. They kicked in the doors to the front and the rear and took out the mother kicking and screaming along with a few brown paper "evidence" bags. She had been dealing out of the house, heroin I think. So while mammy is in the slammer the eldest son decides to have party central in the house, gangs of traveller teenagers enjoying their selves as only traveller teenagers can. Apparently it's the norm to use a sledge hammer for fun these days.

Now I'm a fair believer of what goes around comes around so I figured that the land lord having not been interested before really didn't want to be bothered with the information that his house was being demolished from the inside out! Well there was nothing left of the inside of that house when they were finished. Gaping holes in all the walls, sanitary ware destroyed, bathroom covered in excrement, gas boiler ripped out without the gas switched off!, water left leaking into the house you name it they did it. The house has been derelict ever since.

If you can force the landlord to do something I would and as soon as possible too. I'm now paying a mortgage on a worthless property because of the actions of a rouge landlord, no one will buy my house untill the house next door is sorted that's for sure. Sorry for the long post !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

You not informing the landlord worked out well for you ...

Lol, I see your point, however what would you say if I told you this landlord has more than one house he allowed this to happen to? I had a visit from a summons server trying to trace him on behalf of a county council elsewhere in the country bringing an action against him for allowing another house to become derelict ! Even the guards can't trace him , car not registered to him etc!

Also I reckon if your a landlord who doesn't care that there are horses in your house i would say it's probably fair to say that you don't care about your house or the people who live beside it!

It did work out well, I got a bit of peace and until you've lived like that you've no idea of how much value you would place on that! Trust me telling this man would have achieved nothing at all.

Advertisement