Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stainless steel sieve rusting

Options
  • 15-09-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

Is it normal for a stainless steel sieve to start showing brown/yellow oxidation after only 2 uses?

After both uses I left the sieve to dry on the rack, as I do for all my stainless steel gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've had my stainless steel sieve for almost 18 years. No oxidisation at all. Bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just curious, do you need to pay big bucks for a decent one?

I've seen them on Amazon for around €25, whereas this one was only €5 ... is €25 the sort of price you'd be expected to pay for a "decent" sieve?!?

I can't honestly remember. But even at €5 I'd expect it to last longer than 2 uses.

My stainless steel dish rack is also rusting up although I think that took a few months, I wonder is there something in my water? :)

I have very hard water & no problems with rust on any stainless steel utensils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have one that I bought in TK Maxx and have used it countless number of times and have no problem with rusting.I dry it as soon as I wash it and then hang it up (off handle of press) and leave overnight to air dry. I find that sometimes water can build up in my my dish rack so that is why I hang it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I put metal utensils in the oven to dry out in the residual heat when I've finished cooking, does the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

dee_mc wrote: »
    I put metal utensils in the oven to dry out in the residual heat when I've finished cooking, does the job :)

I do that the odd time as well. I remember having a relative to stay once and she thought that I only used my oven for storage as there were so many bits in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I put one into the dishwasher recently and it rusted, would someone have done that without you knowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Miaireland wrote: »
    I do that the odd time as well. I remember having a relative to stay once and she thought that I only used my oven for storage as there were so many bits in there.

That's funny, as I do the same

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    I put one into the dishwasher recently and it rusted, would someone have done that without you knowing?

Nope :)

Anyway I'm bringing it back today and perhaps get a plastic one instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have been looking for a totally plastic sieve for past ten days to no avail, trying to make ketchup and cannot use metal because of the acid, heading to Carlow today in my quest,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"stainless steel" would be better called "rust resistant steel", therer are varying grades. In general if its strongly magnetic its poor quality, and non-magnetic is generally good.

You do not have to go carrying around a magnet, if you go to a store selling steel kitchenware you will probably find a magnet in the same shop to test stuff, like on the back of an egg timer or something.

If it is starting to rust I would soak it in some coke or lemon juice, and then in future try and dry it off straight after use in future, as recommended already.

Thanks but I've already replaced it with a sturdier model (seemed ok when I strained rice through it last night and I made sure to towel-dry it rather than air-dry)

Interesting about the magnet though, I have several magnetised screwdrivers that might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I have been looking for a totally plastic sieve for past ten days to no avail, trying to make ketchup and cannot use metal because of the acid, heading to Carlow today in my quest,

dealz have them, although they're not the sturdiest they are only €1.49 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

lazeedaisy wrote: »

I got one recently in Home Store and More, cheap and cheerful too!:D

Advertisement