Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Santry/Ballymun

Options
  • 15-09-2014 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal is with the supposedly new store in Santry (bordering on Ballymun)? There are some signs on the Ballymun Road outside the entrance to Northwood. One of them indicating that the new store will be coming soon.

Where will this be located? I couldn't find any mention of it online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sign is years old. They used to have a lidl warehouse in Gullivers Retail Park but they closed that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

January wrote: »
    Sign is years old. They used to have a lidl warehouse in Gullivers Retail Park but they closed that also.

No there is a new sign saying they are opening Lidl Santry, as in a proper Lidl and not the usually warehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

January wrote: »

New sign. I'll take a picture later.

OK. So I'm not going mad. I noticed another sign when I went into Omni earlier. The LIDL is currently being constructed behind the Topaz garage next to Omni. It's on the land behind the furniture store on the main road. Unless they knock through (doubt it), access would be the next turn after Omni, beside AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What supermarket anchors in the Omni? Doubt they'll be too happy about Lidl moving in on their patch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What supermarket anchors in the Omni? Doubt they'll be too happy about Lidl moving in on their patch.

Tesco, I'd say they're not too happy indeed

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Tesco, I'd say they're not too happy indeed

Especially as Aldi/Lidl seem to be who Tesco are hemorrhaging market share to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Good, Tesco is overpriced for brand names, and the equivalent "own brand" aren't a patch on the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

Good, Tesco is overpriced for brand names, and the equivalent "own brand" aren't a patch on the Germans.

That Tesco is pretty crap anyway, needs some competition,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

Dundalk got a brand new tesco when the Germans opened next door to the old one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Contacted Lidl today and they said it will be open before christmas

Took a picture of the planning permission sign a while back but have no option to upload it :/

There's also 2 new shops going up beside dealz in omni. Does anyone know what's going in?

Dord wrote: »
    New sign. I'll take a picture later.

Did you take the picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Lidl's going in (can't exactly describe where) but in between McDonalds and the carwash... The green bit of field up there. Work has already started. :P

I heard it was a Nando's going in beside Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lidl's going in (can't exactly describe where) but in between McDonalds and the carwash... The green bit of field up there. Work has already started. :P

Seriously? That would be brilliant. There is a serious lack of decent spots to eat in that part of the world.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Seriously? That would be brilliant. There is a serious lack of decent spots to eat in that part of the world.

Yup, according to someone who works in one of the shops there... Although I don't know how true it is.

I also looked up the Wiki page for Omni Park, and it has M&S listed... I can't remember there ever being a M&S, has there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope, no M&S there. The north side really is crying out for a M&S. I know that Blanchardstown is technically northside, but it is more west Dublin than it is north.

Did you take the picture?

ksNeCcIl.jpg

fxxuOnBl.jpg

Just did a quick search on Nandos Omni Park.... The result is from March 2013 though.

Said they have plans to open up a restaurant....

Could *maybe* be finally happening. :P

Nandos has been confirmed. The unit it's going into has been divided into 2 separate shops. Nandos will go to the left of the building which leaves space for another shop between Nandos and Dealz

• Advertisement

Just did a quick search on Nandos Omni Park.... The result is from March 2013 though.

Said they have plans to open up a restaurant....

Could *maybe* be finally happening. :P

I contacted them today and they said they hope to open early next year :)

I am pleased with the news of Nandos :)

I am pleased with the news of Nandos :)

It will be a great addition to the area. Serious lack of decent restaurants around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is Nandos actually seen by some people as a "restaurant"?

It's a tarted up fast food place, a bit like Eddie Rockets.

What would you consider a restaurant?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Nope, no M&S there. The north side really is crying out for a M&S. I know that Blanchardstown is technically northside, but it is more west Dublin than it is north.

Yeah I live in Finglas and love some of M&S foods. But I just can't be arsed driving to Blanch to shop there, even though the m50 gets you right there its also almost like a psychological barrier. Traffic at the SC doesn't encourage me either. If I'm over there for other things I'd pop into M&S but would never make a trip especially.

I'm surprised they didn't try to penetrate north side areas more. Maybe its because when new shopping centers open up the likes of Dunnes/Tesco would always outbid them to be the main anchor and also insist there was only one supermarket in the shopping centre. Though they do co-exist with larger supermarkets in Liffey Valley, Blanch and Dundrum I think too. Come to think of it their Blanch store is actually quite small, more of a mini-market size than a supermarket one.

I'm suprised though that M&S havent tried to penetrate north Dublin with their smaller stores, like the one you see in the IFSC. A few of them dotted around Sutton, Howth, Clontarf, Raheny etc would do well IMO. Or if they found a good greenfield site in Dublin 9 somewhere with good access and parking I've little doubt they'd do well. It would certainly freshen things up because we lost an operator in Superquinn who had proved that there is a sustainable higher end of the market to be served.

Thats what I thought, someone described Nandos to me as like KFC but with plates and cutlery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a place that sell chicken covered in sauce. I genuinely don't understand why some people have a massive love for it. Tried it once, nothing whatsoever makes me want to go back.

KFC with plates is pretty much spot on.

What would you consider a restaurant?

I'm sure everyone would have their own definitions but for me one certain criteria is that all of the food they are serving has to be prepared and cooked from fresh in the same kitchen that is on the premises. That for me would be a key difference between what I'd consider to be a restaurant or a fast food joint. The likes of McDonalds don't fill that criteria because the food is cooked in industrial kitchens then frozen and delivered so it can be re-heated and served.

Its a system that allows a chain of restaurants deliver a consistent product all around the country. If you cook all your meat in one centralised unit then you have ultimate control in ensuring consistency.

Now I don't don't know if Eddie Rockets or Nandos have a centralised industrial kitchen somewhere where workers in white suits power hose chicken with piri piri sauce but I would be surprised if there isn't some sort of centralised control over how the food tastes that removes the responsibility for the taste, flavour texture of your food from from the chef and places it somewhere where no deviation from a singular recipe is allowed. The fact that chicken I have in Nandos in Cork should taste the exact same as the chicken I have in Nandos in Dublin shows that the 'chef' who has cooked it isn't really a chef at all, he's a cook who is employed to warm up food to an exact formula. He is not allowed individuality or creativity because he's not employed as chef, which for me is a key difference between a restuarant and something else.

• Advertisement

It's far better than KFC to be fair. I wouldn't call it a restaurant though, it's fancy fast food but a level above McDonalds, Subway, KFC etc.

Advertisement