Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Foreign Exchange Fees List

Options
  • 15-09-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a site that shows all the creditcard issuers and the Foreign Exchange Fees they charge. I had an MBNA card and stupidly haven't changed it even though I feel I'm getting ripped off every time I buy something non euro.

Not too bothered in Interest charges for purchases as we pay off monthly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

You will need the bank conversion fee rate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For what it's worth, there is a 2% foreign currency conversion fee on an Ulster Bank Visa card for non-euro purchases. Other than that, it is the prevailing FX rate as applied by Visa on the day. No charges for euro purchases made in Ireland or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Drewgt wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know if there is a site that shows all the creditcard issuers and the Foreign Exchange Fees they charge. I had an MBNA card and stupidly haven't changed it even though I feel I'm getting ripped off every time I buy something non euro.

Not too bothered in Interest charges for purchases as we pay off monthly.

Here is what i know (because I recently looked into the same).

Avantcard 2.65%
    Tesco 1.75%
    PTSB ICE 1.75%
    Ulster 2.00% (Classic Card, Gold Card, Zinc, World)
    AIB Visa 2.75% (Visa World Region), 1.75% (Visa Europe Region) for click, be Visa and Visa Platinum
    AIB Mastercard 2.14% (Rest of World) and 1.85% (Europe Region) (this is the total consistent out of 1.75% by AIB and the rest by Mastercard)

Avantcard (Ex-MBNA) indeed charges a larger % than others but not as high as AIB visa (the Europe Region % is only applicable on non € payments).

If you travel frequently you might want to look into a prepaid multi currency card which might give you a better rate for most common currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Drewgt

Exactly what I needed thanks. Avantcard were in my opinion very sneaky about the way they increased charges over the MBNA card. Have to talk to Tesco or PTSB about getting a card. Also a prepaid might be a good way to go with Online transfer of funds onto the card if planning travel or online purchases (if this is possible).

Thanks a Lot. Good Info.

Advertisement