Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell around Cork City

Options
  • 15-09-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, since Saturday evening I've noticed a fairly rotten smell around town, it comes and goes but when it's there it's really strong, like rotting eggs.

Am I going mad, or do other people get this smell? Anyone know what the cause is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey guys, since Saturday evening I've noticed a fairly rotten smell around town, it comes and goes but when it's there it's really strong, like rotting eggs.

Am I going mad, or do other people get this smell? Anyone know what the cause is?

They are doing some work down in the docks - either the sewage interconnector or dredging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

dulpit wrote: »

Got it as well, More late sat night/ sun morning. Smelled like an open sewer.
    Made my stomach turn was so bad. Had to close the windows in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Phew, I thought it was coming from our garden or our pipe work in the house.
    At times, it seems to make it's way into the house and when you go outside it isn't there indicating that it was coming from inside the house.
    Glad to here it's not.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

got it earlier in town alright. definitely like rotten eggs. So it's not just you!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Got a wiff of it around the quay there by bus station.

Rotten!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Under investigation by the Council
    www. evening echo .ie/2014/09/16/city-pong-wicked/

(delete the spaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

How does father Mathew stick it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I thought it was my underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stayed in the Clarion overnight on Saturday. Twas quite pungent on Saturday & Sunday. Felt sorry for the guests of the hotel, as there really was no escaping it.

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Under investigation by the Council
    www. evening echo .ie/2014/09/16/city-pong-wicked/

(delete the spaces)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/09/16/city-pong-wicked/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 afraidofplanes

Living just off Grand Parade - opened the windows this morning and the smell is seriously disgusting.

The first time I got the smell in the house, I thought how can such a little cat produce such a foul smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

T17cH wrote: »

Would'nt think so,If Iceland is to the north of Ireland and Cork is on the southern coast of Ireland,then the whole country would be getting the smell.

They said on radio yesterday that it was definitely the dredger causing the smell.It pulls up rotting waste etc. and the smell is from Hydrogen Sulphide which is basically rotten egg smell.

They said on radio yesterday that it was definitely the dredger causing the smell.It pulls up rotting waste etc. and the smell is from Hydrogen Sulphide which is basically rotten egg smell.
    But that doesn't explain how the smell was there before the dredging started.
    Also, in my experience the smell from dredging doesn't hang around very long and would hardly make its way from the port of Cork to Shandon Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Smell was really pungent around lunch time. People were actually leaving the shop I work in and loads of others too, people actually going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

It was really bad this evening too. Around the Marina was particularly pungent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Dredging started on 9th of Sept.
    Mariners are advised that on or after Tuesday 9th September, a maintenance dredging campaign will commence within the limits of the Port of Cork.

Dredging will be undertaken by three vessels, the “Volvox Olympia” a suction dredger, supported by the “Jetsed” and “Odin” for seabed levelling. The vessels will work within the defined navigation channels in various locations and times throughout the port.

The “Jetsed” will commence operations in Lough Mahon on Tuesday 9th September and thereafter move to various locations within the port limits for a period of four to six weeks approximately.
    The “Olympia” is expected to commence operations on or about the 18th September for a period of four weeks approximately.

Operations will continue on a 24 hour basis. The dredging campaign is expected to run for a six week duration. When engaged in dredging, the vessels will display the lights and shapes required by Rule 27 of the International Collision Regulations.

Mariners are requested to navigate with caution when in the vicinity of the dredgers. Port Operations may be contacted on VHF channel.....

http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/noticetomariners

Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end :D

In the meantime, there are great special offers on pegs if you look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Culture night is going to be hit by the stink. That's a pity but dredging needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Henry94 wrote: »
    Culture night is going to be hit by the stink. That's a pity but dredging needs to be done.

The smell down by the Opera House this morning was horrendous - more a sh1te than a rotten egg smell. It was totally gag making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Got it today inside of work. jes tisnt that bad at all was expecting something rank just smells like eggs yummmie

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I don't think the smell is coming from the dredgers as I was down on the docks when they were working there and as previously said this smell quickly goes away. I suspect there are major blockages in the sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Getting a strong whiff of it now at home (Turners Cross direction). Was wondering where the feck the rotten egg smell was coming from and remembered this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The dredger should not be causing the smell. It is a suction dredger and the silt is piped into an enclosed hold. Out to sea it can release the silt under water.

No silt should be breaking the surface, ergo, no smell should emanate from this type of dredger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg gas) is known to result from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter (in the absence of oxygen) in mud, sediments and sewers. Being heavier than air, it tends to accumulate at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. If you live in a basement adjacent to the river works consider taking an extended holiday .

The smell is not of the mud or sediment itself but the H2S gas released from its disturbance.

H2S gases move from pockets in mud layers and moves into the water layer and eventually into the atmosphere.

Amongst other symptoms Exposure to lower concentrations can result in eye irritation, a sore throat and cough, nausea, shortness of breath etc. These effects are believed to be due to the fact that hydrogen sulfide combines with alkali present in moist surface tissues to form sodium sulfide, a caustic. The symptoms usually go away in a few weeks.

Higher concentrations ie in enclosed areas may cause loss of consciousness and suffocation. A diagnostic clue of extreme poisoning by H2S is the discoloration of copper coins in the pockets of the victim.

Interestingly specific warm conditions may allow H2S to be released at higher rates and the dredging or disturbances of sediments will likley result in the disturbance of H2S and it's release into the atmosphere.

It looks like the smell will continue until the dredging stops / cold weather arrives.

I'm actually get a slight smell of the "Great Cork Stench of 2014" in UCC at the moment.
    It's definitely reminding me of sulphur-laden hot springs in Iceland.

While Iceland's really pretty, that's what your shower smells like in the morning as they take natural hot spring water directly into the district heating system and it's piped straight into your hot tap. It takes some getting used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Red Nissan wrote: »
    The dredger should not be causing the smell. It is a suction dredger and the silt is piped into an enclosed hold. Out to sea it can release the silt under water.

No silt should be breaking the surface, ergo, no smell should emanate from this type of dredger.

Booom! Science B*TCH!! :P ;)
    gozunda wrote: »
    Hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg gas) is known to result from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter (in the absence of oxygen) in mud, sediments and sewers. Being heavier than air, it tends to accumulate at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. If you live in a basement adjacent to the river works consider taking an extended holiday .

The smell is not of the mud or sediment itself but the H2S gas released from its disturbance.

H2S gases move from pockets in mud layers and moves into the water layer and eventually into the atmosphere.

Amongst other symptoms Exposure to lower concentrations can result in eye irritation, a sore throat and cough, nausea, shortness of breath etc. These effects are believed to be due to the fact that hydrogen sulfide combines with alkali present in moist surface tissues to form sodium sulfide, a caustic. The symptoms usually go away in a few weeks.

Higher concentrations ie in enclosed areas may cause loss of consciousness and suffocation. A diagnostic clue of extreme poisoning by H2S is the discoloration of copper coins in the pockets of the victim.

Interestingly specific warm conditions may allow H2S to be released at higher rates and the dredging or disturbances of sediments will likley result in the disturbance of H2S and it's release into the atmosphere.

It looks like the smell will continue until the dredging stops / cold weather arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bacchus wrote: »
    Booom! Science B*TCH!! :P ;)

B*tch? Wrong gender ;) but ya the science part is kosher ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

gozunda wrote: »
    B*tch? Wrong gender ;) but ya the science part is kosher ...

Mr White was male and he had no problem being called a b!tch

• Advertisement

They're also using hydraulic dredgers which may be stirring up silt / releasing gas that's bubbling through the river too.

It's almost impossible to ensure totally gas-tight operations for something as messy as dredging.

Advertisement