Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell around Cork City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

We have three dredgers working in the docks and harbour area.

One is a suction dredger it's the big one she's Volvox Olympia. This one sails up to the dredging area collects the silt and takes it out to the mouth of the harbour where it's released.

However, we have a WATER INJECTION dredger in operation as well, this is the orange one and looks like a barge, she is the Jetsed. She does not collect silt, she disturbs it and and a physical action takes place where the mud runs along the bottom sucking up more silt and making the channel deeper. This essentially is mixing up the river bed and letting it settle again wider and thinner. IMO, the action of this type of dredging could well release the gasses as described in a post above.

I must go and watch them working to see the disturbance if any on the surface.

FYI

Jetsed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVK5rLYXiM

Volvox Olympia
    http://vimeo.com/51522704

And I'm also wrong on the enclosed tank on the Volvox!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I work close to the sextant and the stench toda before lunch was awful, nearly got sick with it at one point it was so strong.

Really hope its not that bad over an extended time.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

The smell up near Capwell this evening was truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

.red. wrote: »
    Mr White was male and he had no problem being called a b!tch

?Que? And the logic is ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

gozunda wrote: »
    ?Que? And the logic is ...

Not a Breaking Bad fan I take it?

Also, I was praising your science smackdown on Red Nissan... in case that wasn't clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

I thought the ogre from town was around somewhere.

the ogre is the giant old smelly geezer down around pana and oliver plunkett street:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bacchus wrote: »
    Not a Breaking Bad fan I take it?

Also, I was praising your science smackdown on Red Nissan... in case that wasn't clear :)

No

Grand

Queer smell anyway ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

ROY RACE wrote: »
    I thought the ogre from town was around somewhere.

the ogre is the giant old smelly geezer down around pana and oliver plunkett street:P

That particular man I know well his name is John and he lives in Blackpool,a filthy gentleman out and out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    That particular man I know well his name is John and he lives in Blackpool,a filthy gentleman out and out

Not much point in mocking someone who clearly has a major problem if they're incapable of coping with basic personal hygiene.

A bit of sympathy rather than just name calling might help the guy find a shower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

V.W.L 11 & ROY RACE, please don't point towards specific people on this thread - take it off topic again or make personal accusations and you'll find yourself taking a holiday from the Cork forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tzarkahn

The stink around the City Centre this morning was horrendous.

It also smelt like mold in Ballincollig but I reckon that was just the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The smell near UCC this morning was overpowering. Rotten Eggs/Sulphur smell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yep, was fairly bad this morning, I woke up thinking "is that me?" :pac: for a second, and then remembered the windows were open.

Foul. When will it end?

#corkpong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yeah got it this morning at 7am on Model Farm Road. First time I experienced it. Very odd.

Maybe there is a super volcano under Cork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide#Occurrence

dulpit wrote: »
    Foul. When will it end? #corkpong

If it is the dredging, then we are about a week from scheduled end. Not allowing for any changes or extensions.

But as the dredging has already moved down stream? ????

They're dredging closer to the city during the night. You can hear it in Montenotte. Lots of noise over night.

I assume that's so the stench is largely faded during the day and probably to avoid disruption to the port operations.

That's why you're getting the stench in the morning.

Also the early morning fog is capturing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Grand this morning I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

There was a nice smell in Boreenmana road this evening, it was from a brewery I think, is it malt or something? I remember a similar smell from near Guinness in Dublin,

• Advertisement

It's extremely bad around Montenotte / Tivoli right now.

Smell is so bad this morning that I think I might have to move.
    I couldn't even eat breakfast. Absolutely unbelievable.

Advertisement