Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iOS 8 GM

• 15-09-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone install it? I was too impatient and installed it Saturday. Works very well and I love the predictive keyboard. Most apps work fine on it but a few times facebook has froze.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

sure did...

Only problem I found was that iTunes didn't see my phone wireless,

But sorted that out and all is well..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Only problem I found was that iTunes didn't see my phone wireless,

Make sure to update iTunes as well ;)

The GM is fine, a few small issues. I'd expect a lot of app updates this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm finding the new keyboard in message a bit clunky with the predictive text bar, but it's a great improvement. I'm also using the beta of Yosemite on a MacBook Air and got to use Handoff with my phone and SMS on Friday (SMS gone now till oct). Very impressed with it over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Antone else getting the message tone with no message? Probably happened 3 or 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

GM is great, no bugs from my daily usage, also i think i maybe right in that the handover aspect present in GM will not be there in the release this week. If anyone upgrades from GM they may lose this... Have to say i love it. sms and asnwers calls and converse without the need to pick up the phone.... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Anyone find any apps that use ios widgets yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm sure my 5s runs much cooler than before. It would frequently get very hot playing games etc.

BrookieD wrote: »
    GM is great, no bugs from my daily usage, also i think i maybe right in that the handover aspect present in GM will not be there in the release this week. If anyone upgrades from GM they may lose this... Have to say i love it. sms and asnwers calls and converse without the need to pick up the phone.... ;-)

The GM is the final version and it will be the same version released on Wednesday if no major issues are found.

Handoff requires Yosemite which won't be available for everyone until Oct/Nov - but if you're on the public Beta or dev release, it should work.

guil wrote: »
    I'm sure my 5s runs much cooler than before. It would frequently get very hot playing games etc.

There will be no change in this regard. A game requires the CPU/GPU to do lots of work, hence it generates heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Have it on my 5s... Not seeing much of a difference to be honest, bar the keyboard and Shazam integration in Siri...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Running on my 5S without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have had no problems on my iPad Air but on my 5S I have had an issue with wifi. Few times its dropped wifi connection for no reason and won't connect again unless I turn wifi off and back on again. Did a fresh install and happened again so something I'll keep an eye on. Never happened on iOS7.

theothernt wrote: »
    Make sure to update iTunes as well ;)

The GM is fine, a few small issues. I'd expect a lot of app updates this week!

am on 11.4, but this evening , did not find the phone via wireless

11.4 still see iPad wireless, but the ipad is not on ios 8??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This is where the 64 bit chip shines. Updating iPhone 5 from iOS 6 to 7 last year, you could feel it was a newer update as the A6 struggled slightly with it. I know 7 to 8 isn't as big of a leap in terms of changes to the OS but the 5s can run 8 as smooth as it ran 7 if not better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Apologies for the stupid question, but where can I get it? My Iphone 5 says that I have the latest version 7.1.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Fuseman wrote: »
    Apologies for the stupid question, but where can I get it? My Iphone 5 says that I have the latest version 7.1.2

Some download links here but at this stage you might as well wait until the official release tomorrow.

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ios-8-gm-leaked-heres-download-ios-8-your-iphone-right-now-0157312/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

bucks73 wrote: »
    Have had no problems on my iPad Air but on my 5S I have had an issue with wifi. Few times its dropped wifi connection for no reason and won't connect again unless I turn wifi off and back on again. Did a fresh install and happened again so something I'll keep an eye on. Never happened on iOS7.

I've had similar problems with wifi on my 5S. I was tempted to go back to ios7. It could barely keep a wifi connection. I restored to a backup a few times and the problem was still there. Finally I restored it and set it up as a new phone and it's back working as normal. It's a fair bit annoying as I don't like losing my backup.

am on 11.4, but this evening , did not find the phone via wireless

11.4 still see iPad wireless, but the ipad is not on ios 8??

My iPhone also disappears from iTunes sometimes. Don't know of a single fix, but usually restarting iTunes, then the Mac/PC, then the phone itself works.

I blame iTunes though, it's a turd :pac:

Aodhagan wrote: »
    This is where the 64 bit chip shines. Updating iPhone 5 from iOS 6 to 7 last year, you could feel it was a newer update as the A6 struggled slightly with it. I know 7 to 8 isn't as big of a leap in terms of changes to the OS but the 5s can run 8 as smooth as it ran 7 if not better.

Typically Apple target their new hardware first (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc) and optimise for that. I'm sure they do additional work on a few older devices but not all of them, which is why iOS 8 won't be as super-smooth on the 4S.

Also, iOS 8 on the 5S is not perfectly smooth. There are small issues with animation all over the place. And as usual, after a few updates I'm sure it'll be fine.

theothernt wrote: »
    My iPhone also disappears from iTunes sometimes. Don't know of a single fix, but usually restarting iTunes, then the Mac/PC, then the phone itself works.

I blame iTunes though, it's a turd :pac:

Defo something wrong, Itunes does not see the phone at all unless I reboot phone, restored to 7.1.2 and no problem finding it wirelessly

• Advertisement

8.0.1 is apparently in testing and 8.1 should be out next month alongside Yosemite to enable SMS relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    8.0.1 is apparently in testing and 8.1 should be out next month alongside Yosemite to enable SMS relay.

8.1 next month? Normally that's 5-7 months after release.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    8.1 next month? Normally that's 5-7 months after release.

Yep, you're right. For some reason I had it in my head that they went straight to 7.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

questions for GM ios8 users, has anyone got the voice rec/send option on messages? i see it in the tips but the grey mic icon is not on the input area so cannot be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

BrookieD wrote: »
    questions for GM ios8 users, has anyone got the voice rec/send option on messages? i see it in the tips but the grey mic icon is not on the input area so cannot be used?

Maybe the server isn't live?

Works ok for me.

Zcott wrote: »
    Works ok for me.

Might be disabled for someone who isn't on iPhone or iOS8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Any idea what time the iOS 8 public release is happening?

5 or 6pm given what's happened before. They usually do it then so the US isn't woken up by notifications saying their phone needs an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Usually 6 pm our time.

Advertisement