Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iOS 8 GM

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How do ya access iCloud drive?

From within the document picker of a compatible app. There’s no DropBox-type app if that’s what you are asking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just want to confirm if the iCloud drive is the same as iCloud backup?

And Safari moved my bookmark tab to the opposite side, feckers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Getting the same - hopefully that's temporary cos my phone is now currently bricked...

Same here, cant use it now til I can get the update, annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

kceire wrote: »
    Just want to confirm if the iCloud drive is the same as iCloud backup?

No. They are both different features of iCloud. iCloud Drive is for storing documents and data, kind of like Dropbox. iCloud Backup is for backing up your device - text messages, photos, settings, etc.

No. They are both different features of iCloud. iCloud Drive is for storing documents and data, kind of like Dropbox. iCloud Backup is for backing up your device - text messages, photos, settings, etc.

Right then, I've always used iCloud to back up my devices. So should I turn the drive off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My iPad 3 is requiring 4.7GB to install.

FFS it only has 16.

Not going to bother my arse.

kceire wrote: »
    Right then, I've always used iCloud to back up my devices. So should I turn the drive off?

If you like. But then apps won’t be able to use iCloud to store documents or data.

Dades wrote: »

FFS it only has 16.

Just delete some heavy apps, movies etc, download and install. It doesn't use up that amount of space, it just needs that space in order for the update to go through, once it's done you will have the same or similar space let on the iPad.

If you like. But then apps won’t be able to use iCloud to store documents or data.

Just had a look,more back up feature is still on, and it shows my last back up from 4.11 today, so it's obviously still backing up as normal and reading the back ups as normal. I'll see how it goes, thanks SP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Dades wrote: »

FFS it only has 16.

Update via iTunes and it doesn't need all that space as the update is not downloaded to the device before installation.

Yeah it works fine via iTunes. Just make sure you click update and not restore. And make sure you have a recent backup in iCloud or iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I said it in the other thread but why can you not delete the podcast app ? It was a disaster first time around and I've a nice app that works all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Have had it a few hours now and I'm finding the phone VERY sluggish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Have had it a few hours now and I'm finding the phone VERY sluggish.

My phone seems fine to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

11 hours to download...servers taking a hammering

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Photos issue now.
    Under albums, I only have 3, in a recently added folder.
    But in collections, all my photos are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

I've been downloading OTA since about 6.15pm - 1.1GB for iPad 4 and there's still 22 minutes left ffs. I thought this came out yesterday:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Shred wrote: »
    I've been downloading OTA since about 6.15pm - 1.1GB for iPad 4 and there's still 22 minutes left ffs. I thought this came out yesterday:(

Nope. 4 hrs ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

11 hours to download...servers taking a hammering

Looks like everything in Apple is.

68mb Itunes update is taking over 20 mins to download and I have 200mb broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup I was using Apple Maps earlier, was taking ages to find anything*

* wait I'm am I trying to kid, that's just Apple Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liking the full auto full screen on safari when scrolling. That wasn't there before right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭davehey79

anyone getting a vpn error? its asking for a user authentication !! i havent got a vpn login and its not turned on also can;t connect to the net !! god damn it why did i update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I can't get it :(

Well actually, it said it'd send me a notification when the download is ready to begin... This was a while ago.

Any ideas? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I can't get it :(

Well actually, it said it'd send me a notification when the download is ready to begin... This was a while ago.

Any ideas? :(

My friend got the same on a 5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I have to say, boards is acting very weird. I don't know if it's a boards problem or an ios8 safari problem. But it's throwing random icons all over the place. Is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have to say, boards is acting very weird. I don't know if it's a boards problem or an ios8 safari problem. But it's throwing random icons all over the place. Is it just me?

Just you. But I am using m.boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How big is the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Installed it yesterday over wifi. So far so good.

Hootanany wrote: »
    How big is the update

Different for everybody. Go into the update on your device and it will tell you how much free space you need.

So Apple updated their iWork apps with "iCloud Drive compatibility" but didn't actually include iCloud Drive compatability. Your documents are still siloed inside their respective app folders with no access to the documents stored elsewhere in iCloud Drive. WTF Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So Apple updated their iWork apps with "iCloud Drive compatibility" but didn't actually include iCloud Drive compatability. Your documents are still siloed inside their respective app folders with no access to the documents stored elsewhere in iCloud Drive. WTF Apple?

Having no dedicated app like Dropbox or Google Drive is a cardinal sin.

Advertisement