Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iOS 8 GM

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

So Apple updated their iWork apps with "iCloud Drive compatibility" but didn't actually include iCloud Drive compatability. Your documents are still siloed inside their respective app folders with no access to the documents stored elsewhere in iCloud Drive. WTF Apple?

Is that true, I haven't downloaded this but as I recall you should be able to get compatible files from any app or extension which vends those files to you.

for instance:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2685032/box-has-high-hopes-for-ios-8-doc-picker-extension.html

As to why they don't do it themselves I don't know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Having no dedicated app like Dropbox or Google Drive is a cardinal sin.

I don't think it's essential. Indeed if its properly implemented you shouldn't even notice that it's not there. Why would you need an iCloud Drive app when there's a document picker accessible if/when you need it? Apple's approach to the cloud is "dumb cloud". The cloud is something in the background that supports what you are doing. It's a feature not a service. This is why Dropbox is going to have to expand into other areas to survive.

Dropbox's idea of having an app with access to all your cloud based documents was always a compromise anyway. I never open it except to import documents into apps that don't support Dropbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Went to update last night it now says update requested and I will be notified when downloaded that was 20 hours ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I don't think it's essential. Indeed if its properly implemented you shouldn't even notice that it's not there. Why would you need an iCloud Drive app when there's a document picker accessible if/when you need it? Apple's approach to the cloud is "dumb cloud". The cloud is something in the background that supports what you are doing. It's a feature not a service. This is why Dropbox is going to have to expand into other areas to survive.

Dropbox's idea of having an app with access to all your cloud based documents was always a compromise anyway. I never open it except to import documents into apps that don't support Dropbox.

Would be handy to be able to backup all my photos and videos to iCloud then view them as I need to and not have them taking up space on my phone. Even that would do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Would be handy to be able to backup all my photos and videos to iCloud then view them as I need to and not have them taking up space on my phone. Even that would do.

You'll be able to do that with iCloud Photo Library. It's currently in beta but you can enable it if you want. But you might need to buy more space.

http://www.apple.com/ie/ios/ios8/photos/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

It's buggy. I'm finding lags all over the place and is anyone else having a issue with text message search? i.e. Not searching at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I am getting some horribly slow download speeds, 9 hours left on my download. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

You'll be able to do that with iCloud Photo Library. It's currently in beta but you can enable it if you want. But you might need to buy more space.

http://www.apple.com/ie/ios/ios8/photos/

Sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks.

Where do I enable it?

[Edit - Looks like Apple have disabled the feature. ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I don't know if it's a bug or intentional but in the weather app now tapping on the temperature in the app doesn't give you more info. Before it'd show you stuff like % chance of rain, humidity, wind and what temp it felt like. Perhaps it's because the data now seems to be supplied by the weather channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Brophs if you scroll to the bottom on the weather app you now get that info

• Advertisement
Advertisement