Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I loaded up the classic that is Call of Duty 4 on PS3 this morning and....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

Headshot wrote: »
    What I do for a next generation ww2 COD game :(

None of this ****ing ****ty futuristic crap

WWII shooters no longer sell well because the market was littered with them at one stage. If you look at the majority of console and PC shooters that were released between 1998 and 2007, nine times out of ten they were WWII-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Headshot wrote: »
    What I do for a next generation ww2 COD game :(

None of this ****ing ****ty futuristic crap

I've no doubt another WW2 set COD game will come out, but people were complaining there were too many similar titles at one stage, before COD4 every other fps game was a WW2 shooter it seemed.

COD4 is still fantastic, because its simple. I got to play Advanced Warfare for a bit recently and it's more like Unreal or Quake, double jumping? in a COD game?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

krudler wrote: »
    I've no doubt another WW2 set COD game will come out, but people were complaining there were too many similar titles at one stage, before COD4 every other fps game was a WW2 shooter it seemed.

COD4 is still fantastic, because its simple. I got to play Advanced Warfare for a bit recently and it's more like Unreal or Quake, double jumping? in a COD game?

Double jumping? Boooooo

I have bought the last few and have gotten very little play time out of them. This time I will wait till all the first reactions have finished and see if it is really any good before buying

2smiggy wrote: »
    Double jumping? Boooooo

I have bought the last few and have gotten very little play time out of them. This time I will wait till all the first reactions have finished and see if it is really any good before buying

Sure does, it also has homing mines, and danger close is back. You can also slam yourself into the ground like fcuking Superman to damage enemies. COD as a series takes one step forward and three back with each new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Dayum wrote: »
    COD4 and MW2 were the best Call of Duty games.

The stuff they're making these days is a slap in the face to that heritage.

Whenever someone says they play COD these days, it's just cringe.

Heritage lol, and you didn't even mention COD2, by FAR the best COD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

COD MW2 ?
    The spawn of IWNet ?
    One of the worst matchmaking systems I ever came across at the time.
    Dedicated servers being removed, no options for mods or community created maps....which HUGELY extended the life of both COD2 and COD4

Something wrong if you're putting MW2 up there with COD4 and omitting COD2 like Bur says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WWII shooters no longer sell well because the market was littered with them at one stage. If you look at the majority of console and PC shooters that were released between 1998 and 2007, nine times out of ten they were WWII-based.

The market was littered with ****ty WW2 games. When COD came out it was at the height of that saturation and stood out for being a quality game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great maps in cod4 but not enough.

Cod died after mw3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Modern Warfare 2 is gold compared to ghosts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thread makes me want a decent COD game. The recent games have turned me completely off FPSs.

It's definitely one of my top 10 games of the last generation.

And double jumping? Sounds like I won't be buying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

bur wrote: »
    Heritage lol, and you didn't even mention COD2, by FAR the best COD.

Heritage as in the 1-4. And I played 2 to death back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

For years I remember games magazines had nothing but deluge of reviews for WW2 FPS every issue it seemed, it was pretty radical for a major-ish series that had made its name on nothing but one historical war to go to a modern day setting, what conflict would they depict and our current world

I think the resonant beliveable nature of it and its maps make it hit home in a big way. It's iconic. I remember the mission with AC130 black and white vision mode and could feel a bit unsettled like it wasn't too far from what the somebody was doing right then; The methodical feeling, no music or sounds, just intermitternt radio chatter to confirm the kills.

Far more unsettling than MW2 hyped airport mission.

bus map/long street map/washing machine map (can't think of the proper name) was a classic map.
    There seemed to places to go and destinations to defend. It was well thought out simplicity.

FGTfStO-l.jpg

Shipment might be the greatest, most chaotic, hilarious game to ever grace four player split screen player.

http://mp1st.com/2014/02/10/5-things-made-call-duty-4-modern-warfare-iconic/#.VBleVfldXYk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Keno wrote: »
    I think people are looking at MW2 through rose tinted glasses.

Commando along with One Man Army + Danger Close + Noob Tubes made the game unplayable at times.

It was annoying. But there is a lot to be said when people moan about a 2 second reload time single shot weapon.

I thought the commando perk in MW2, coupled with the faster running perk was the worst. One click insta death from medium range in a game with lots of tight areas, where IW had just introduced serious lag for the pc platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just threw it on there. Only had one game, but it wasn't hacked. There was a 2mb update first, so maybe they've patched things up. Although I doubt it, last time I played it was nigh on unplayable. I used to be decent enough, but I just went 4-22 and I lucky to get those kills. Even the movements feels wrong/off/floaty to me now. Such a great game, it was what finally made me embrace multiplayer gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Keno wrote: »
    I think people are looking at MW2 through rose tinted glasses.

Commando along with One Man Army + Danger Close + Noob Tubes made the game unplayable at times.
    Yeah but One Man Army + Danger Close + Riot Shield + C4 was absolutely hilarious :pac:

I loved MW2 to be honest, but it's not a patch on COD4. The maps (Crash, Strike), the weapons, the sound, everything was just perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Adamantium wrote: »
    For years I remember games magazines had nothing but deluge of reviews for WW2 FPS every issue it seemed, it was pretty radical for a major-ish series that had made its name on nothing but one historical war to go to a modern day setting, what conflict would they depict and our current world

Battlefield made it's name with WW2 shooters and transitioned to the modern day FPS setting before COD. It wasn't so much that COD4 was revolutionary in that sense, it was just that Zampella and West created a fun game.

Now that they're gone - Treyarch, Rubin and now Sledgehammer are left to stumble over themselves in trying to re-create it but thus far with little success. In fact COD has innovated in no areas at all. I asked a COD player a couple of weeks ago what new idea or concept COD created and he replied "Zombies". :rolleyes:

Zombies is a rip-off of the 2004 Unreal Tournament mod "Killing Floor". In fact, everything Zombies does, Killing Floor did ten times better. It's an almost carbon copy right down to the wonder weapons, perk system and wave based rounds. Why should we be paying multi-billion dollar companies to steal ideas from the community that were once completely free of charge?

God, how I miss mods....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Adamantium wrote: »

FGTfStO-l.jpg

That map. That wonderful, beautiful map. F*cking glorious days I spent running around that map trying to arm/defuse bombs...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Years ago my routine used to consist of coming home from work and firing up COD4 for an hour to shake off the last of work. It was the last good COD game I played tbh. The yearly release schedule and switch to consoles as priority (to say nothing of the removal of dedicated servers) turned it into whatever the equivalent of a decent band that get tired of not being superstars and change direction to a more radio friendly sound - think Feeder - I saw them as a metal band in 99 playing support to Reef and a few years later they decided to become a pop band. Then their drummer died and of course West and Lampella left IW to start Respawn and Titanfall is the best and most fun FPS I've played since Quake 3 (and IW's offering of Ghosts was the most broken and rubbish COD game to date - I couldn't play it because it was so broken).

4 had it's annoyances as well, every other person dropping grenades at death etc. But it was brilliantly simple. I love MW2 for all it's bad points because it was fun, which is what the later games werent, there were some absolutely brilliant boardsie nights on MW2 back in the day, some great laughs.
    Plus it's smooth as hell and sounds absolutely brilliant. Yeah the graphics have aged a bit but it's still slick as hell. I'd take 60fps over 30fps with higher res textures any day.

• Advertisement

Martyrdom perk was great crack and then it progressed to being an essential in mw3 for games of kill confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

COD 4 was amazing, short but very memorable single player and one of the best multiplayer experiences ever. Sadly it was all downhill for the series after it.

krudler wrote: »
    4 had it's annoyances as well, every other person dropping grenades at death etc. But it was brilliantly simple. I love MW2 for all it's bad points because it was fun, which is what the later games werent, there were some absolutely brilliant boardsie nights on MW2 back in the day, some great laughs.
    Plus it's smooth as hell and sounds absolutely brilliant. Yeah the graphics have aged a bit but it's still slick as hell. I'd take 60fps over 30fps with higher res textures any day.

Pfft, Martyr was easy to counter by assuming everyone had it and not standing over the body. Got rid of that crass teabagging habit elegantly, a rare case of developers making better people out of gamers without anyone noticing. Now Last Stand, that was a hoor of a perk causing untold amounts of rage. So many kill streaks ended prematurely because someone magically survived a shotgun to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

COD 2 was my most memorable to be honest, the sheer hours i put into MP was crazy.

It was he first game i met a lot of Irish and Scottish players which was always good craic.

The memories of trying to shoot a guy in the head and you hitting his WWII metal helmut off instead, non the wiser to him/herself.

COD 2 will always shine for me.

Sarky wrote: »
    Pfft, Martyr was easy to counter by assuming everyone had it and not standing over the body. Got rid of that crass teabagging habit elegantly, a rare case of developers making better people out of gamers without anyone noticing. Now Last Stand, that was a hoor of a perk causing untold amounts of rage. So many kill streaks ended prematurely because someone magically survived a shotgun to the face.

True but many an annoying time was had when you were running towards someone and killed them only for a grenade with a crazy damage radius to emerge. The amount of it in ground wars was insane.

Death streaks in general were a pain in the whole, nothing worse than being on a streak and killing a guy who goes into last stand and gets a poxy kill on you because you didnt have enough bullets to finish him off :mad:

:pac:

fps%20gamers%20will%20understand.gif

Heh, in regular mode, yeah, you could empty a clip into someone without them falling over. I remember a few of my friends getting so used to "hardcore" that when they played with people who insisted on what they called "filthy noob mode", they'd just use knives and run rings around the opposition. It led to "You brought a gun to a knife fight?" becoming a common phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sarky wrote: »
    Heh, in regular mode, yeah, you could empty a clip into someone without them falling over. I remember a few of my friends getting so used to "hardcore" that when they played with people who insisted on what they called "filthy noob mode", they'd just use knives and run rings around the opposition. It led to "You brought a gun to a knife fight?" becoming a common phrase.

Hardcore was and always will be a mode for people who can't aim under pressure.

Hardcore was and always will be a mode for people who can't aim under pressure.

Shots fired!

• Advertisement

Completed MW2 again on Veteran.

Brilliant stuff altogether and is probably the best single player campaign mode in the COD series. I played about 10 hours of multiplayer over the last couple of weeks and didn't come up against much hacking.

Going to move onto MW3 and see how that compares.

Advertisement