Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assortment of ingredients- need your help!

• 15-09-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

I need your help to come up with a recipe for a tasty meal using the ingredients left in the fridge! I am in no way good enough at cooking to be guaranteed any chance of success by using my own ingenuity here so really appreciate your help!

Ingredients I have:

Brown capped mushrooms - just 5 or 6 left
    Paprika, oregano, salt and pepper
    Garlic
    Shallots
    Lettuce
    Sour cream
    Yogurt
    Rice
    Mashed potato mix
    Pasta

Et voilà! I assured the other half I could manage something good but I'm not so confident anymore. It is just too heavy on the potato, rice, pasta end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pog it wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I need your help to come up with a recipe for a tasty meal using the ingredients left in the fridge! I am in no way good enough at cooking to be guaranteed any chance of success by using my own ingenuity here so really appreciate your help!

Ingredients I have:

Brown capped mushrooms - just 5 or 6 left
    Paprika, oregano, salt and pepper
    Garlic
    Shallots
    Lettuce
    Sour cream
    Yogurt
    Rice
    Mashed potato mix
    Pasta

Et voilà! I assured the other half I could manage something good but I'm not so confident anymore. It is just too heavy on the potato, rice, pasta end.

Do you need to use all of it up in one go?

I would make pasta with a sour cream and mushroom sauce : chop and fry up the shallots and mushrooms, add the sour cream and some stock and let it simmer for about 15 minutes (add more stock if it gets too thick).

Then using the lettuce make a nice salad with yoghurt dressing (tsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 -2 tbsp of yoghurt and about the same amount of lemon juice). If you've got any fresh herbs you can throw in there, that'll be a bonus.

You could use up the rice making arancini (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17810/arancini), if you have eggs and cheese lying about somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi and thanks so much!

I have cheese but no eggs. Also ran out of oil but should have some stock.

Don't mind not using all of the ingredients at all. Just interested in coming up with a little meal. I made mushroom strogonoff a while back and this sounds similar to that so I can definitely pull that off :)

Hi and thanks so much!

I have cheese but no eggs. Also ran out of oil but should have some stock.

Don't mind not using all of the ingredients at all. Just interested in coming up with a little meal. I made mushroom strogonoff a while back and this sounds similar to that so I can definitely pull that off :)

It's not too dissimilar, but might depend on what stroganoff recipe you were using.
    This one is sour cream rather than regular cream, so the taste is a little lighter and fresher.
    Goes well with a tsp of paprika added in, though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out www.supercook.com.
    It is especially for such conundrums.

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's not too dissimilar, but might depend on what stroganoff recipe you were using.
    This one is sour cream rather than regular cream, so the taste is a little lighter and fresher.
    Goes well with a tsp of paprika added in, though :)

It was from Nigella Lawson's website (but not Nigella's own recipe):
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/mushroom-stroganoff-1296

While it did taste pretty good I prefer your idea of adding the sour cream in at the same time as stock. I added the sour cream afterwards as per the recipe above and it ended up with little strains from the sour cream all over the dish even after I had mixed it and let it heat through.

• Advertisement

Do you need to use all of it up in one go?

I would make pasta with a sour cream and mushroom sauce : chop and fry up the shallots and mushrooms, add the sour cream and some stock and let it simmer for about 15 minutes (add more stock if it gets too thick).

Shenshen would you fry this up with or without garlic?

Shensen would you fry this up with or without garlic?

I would make it without the garlic. But the more onions, the better (I usually make it with lots of leeks)

It was from Nigella Lawson's website (but not Nigella's own recipe):
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/mushroom-stroganoff-1296

While it did taste pretty good I prefer your idea of adding the sour cream in at the same time as stock. I added the sour cream afterwards as per the recipe above and it ended up with little strains from the sour cream all over the dish even after I had mixed it and let it heat through.

I usually put the sour cream in first, then add the stock little by little.
    It combines fully that way, and you can leave it a little thicker if you prefer :)

Check out www.supercook.com.
    It is especially for such conundrums.

I like the concept behind the site... I think we'll be friends :D

I would make it without the garlic. But the more onions, the better (I usually make it with lots of leeks)

I just discovered loads of fresh fennel. Would you add this or is it too far removed from leek onion type flavours?

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement

I just discovered loads of fresh fennel. Would you add this or is it too far removed from leek onion type flavours?

Thanks again!!

Ah, you got me there - I really hate fennel, so never cook with it.
    But trying to be objective, I think it could work. It does go well with slightly sour sauces, I believe, so it might be a good combination.

You could sweat some fennel down and add a bit of the sauce, to see what it's like. Then mix them together if you think it's a winner :)

If not, slice the rest as thinly as you can and throw it into the salad.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6499/lettuce-and-fennel-salad-with-orange-and-mustard-d

Would you say the fennel here looks too thickly sliced?

I just chopped some up very finely but into tiny pieces and they look like small squares rather than long fine slices? :)

Turned out great! Especially the salad which was a massive surprise! I cut up some more fennel into longer slices and it works.

Sour cream was still somewhat bitty after I'd added and mixed it through but I added paprika and that sorted out the texture.
    Sadly I did add a tiny pinch too much salt but not to any really awful degree so it is still tasty.

Thanks so much for the help. You are an absolute star! Can only imagine what your home cooking is like. Now for the other half to get home and try :D

Turned out great! Especially the salad which was a massive surprise! I cut up some more fennel into longer slices and it works.

Sour cream was still somewhat bitty after I'd added and mixed it through but I added paprika and that sorted out the texture.
    Sadly I did add a tiny pinch too much salt but not to any really awful degree so it is still tasty.

Thanks so much for the help. You are an absolute star! Can only imagine what your home cooking is like. Now for the other half to get home and try :D

Glad it worked out so well! :)
    And I hope the other half was suitably impressed with your skill, too.

Advertisement