Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway...where to live?

Options
  • 15-09-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I just got a job offer to start next week in Galway city so I'm in a bit of a panic to get something sorted for living. I'm coming from Waterford and I honestly don't know anything about Galway like places to live, buses, parking for work etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where is best to look. I have a car so if parking isn't too expensive and traffic into the city isn't too bad the distance wouldn't be a problem. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Live the same side of the river that you're working/parking.

There are other threads around about advice for people moving to Galway that you can search through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In general, live on the same side of the river as you are working on. Tell us where you will be working (the area, not the company) and we will give you some suggestions.

If you're working in the city centre .... tell us what sort of place you'd like to live, (eg young and party-hard house share, family in the suburbs, hard-out GAA-head, going home to Waterford every weekend, etc)

Oh .. and dverything you need to know about buses is here: www.galwayTransport.info :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The most important question is where you will be working. It's a major pain to cross the Corrib during rush hour, so your best bet is to live on the side of Galway you work in.
    Don't commit to any place to quickly. Make a deal with a B&B for a week or two. Once you had a good look around, talked to colleagues it will be easier to make an informed decision.

Also have a look at the Galway Transport Info website it has a lot of neighbourhood maps and maps of bus routes.

Good luck!

Also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Plenty of advice on similar threads on here, search for them. But....traffic is often bad. Rent is cheaper further out. Buses are good, esp the 409. Parking can be cheapish at the Cathedral or Dyke Road car parks, 4-5 euro for all day, but get there early.

Have fun in Galway and good luck with the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Older threads www.google.ie/search?q=Moving+to+Galway+site:boards.ie but it mainly depends in what area you will be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Thanks a million for the replies. The job is near Jurys Inn Hotel....I think that's pretty central? I'll have a look at the past threads now and hopefully be able to narrow down my search from there :) thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

To find accommodation use daft.ie and classifieds.advertiser.ie
    If you work so central (Jury's Inn is at the bottom of Shop Street (the main street)) I would recommend getting a place within city limits and just have a bike to get to work.
    If you have to drive you can live anywhere and park as close as you can and walk the last bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thanks a million for the replies. The job is near Jurys Inn Hotel....I think that's pretty central? I'll have a look at the past threads now and hopefully be able to narrow down my search from there :) thanks everyone

Have a look at the Claddagh and Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That's a good location in terms of options. I'd second Claddagh and Salthill, but you could also stretch up to Newcastle, Shantalla, Rahoon (within half hour walk all), and even Knocknacarra (some parts further). All doable on bike or bus, some walking.
    I found living and working in town a bit much sometimes, so if you are working in town maybe have a think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

If you can find somewhere in the docks your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Would anyone know anything about parking in the city longterm? If, for example, I got an apartment that doesn't have parking. If I could walk to work and not worry about having to pay a crazy amount on top of rent to park the car somewhere. I'm heading up Thursday so want to make a few appointments to view places but if I'd be caught for a parking spot it's hardly worth my while looking at apartments. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Once you move in, you can get a parking permit from the council. Initially get visitors permits from them - costs 2.50 per day, a resident has to buy them.

fwiw, I live in the city-centre, and don't see any need to own a car. I just rent one every few weeks if we want to go someplace on the weekend.

Advertisement