Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Price Increases (Internet Fares)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Peter File wrote: »
    Show me online fares on that route that are reduced. You will find there are none.

There aren't any online fares on routes that are deemed commuter routes - that includes Connolly/Drogheda, due to the system not being capable of simply selling tickets as opposed to seat reservations. Daft I know, but that's the problem they have.

But it does have cheaper off-peak fares available at the station.

The normal day return fare from Dundalk to Dublin is €29.80 but off-peak (i.e. after 09:30) the fare drops to €16.80. This ticket is available from the booking office and the vending machines.

Surely that is a case of offering a cheaper fare? It's not available online, but it is perfectly easy to buy at the station. I'm not sure how you conclude that they are not offering cheaper fares - they're just not available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

lxflyer wrote: »
    There aren't any online fares on routes that are deemed commuter routes - that includes Connolly/Drogheda, due to the system not being capable of simply selling tickets as opposed to seat reservations. Daft I know, but that's the problem they have.

But it does have cheaper off-peak fares available at the station.

The normal day return fare from Dundalk to Dublin is €29.80 but off-peak (i.e. after 09:30) the fare drops to €16.80. This ticket is available from the booking office and the vending machines.

Surely that is a case of offering a cheaper fare? It's not available online, but it is perfectly easy to buy at the station. I'm not sure how you conclude that they are not offering cheaper fares - they're just not available online.
    This thread is on online fares. You cant buy cheaper online fares on that route, only from the ticket office in person, yet on that line if you are going from Belfast you can. There is no reason why they cant offer cheaper prices on the offpeak trains especially the late night ones which very few people are using

Peter File wrote: »
    This thread is on online fares. You cant buy cheaper online fares on that route, only from the ticket office in person, yet on that line if you are going from Belfast you can. There is no reason why they cant offer cheaper prices on the offpeak trains especially the late night ones which very few people are using

The problem is that they cannot sell online tickets on trains that don't facilitate seat reservations - namely the 29k sets, which operate most trains on the Northern line. It's a system issue I understand.

The same problem arises on other routes.

They get around this by offering cheap tickets at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The problem is that they cannot sell online tickets on trains that don't facilitate seat reservations - namely the 29k sets, which operate most trains on the Northern line. It's a system issue I understand.

They can and currently do for IC routes operated by 29. Sligo, Rosslare, Limerick shuttle and WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Are you saying that they charge you dearer fares because they are incompetent and if they were competent they would say charge you cheaper? Do you honestly think that those on the other end of the phone can charge what they want????

I cant take you seriously when you think that your username is cool.
    his username reminds me of the episode of the IT crowd. jen goes out with this lad called Peter File. but moss thinks its (well i'l leave you guess)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They can and currently do for IC routes operated by 29. Sligo, Rosslare, Limerick shuttle and WRC.

But they don't do it on commuter routes, which Dundalk is deemed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

his username reminds me of the episode of the IT crowd. jen goes out with this lad called Peter File. but moss thinks its (well i'l leave you guess)
    yes, that's where its from!

But they don't do it on commuter routes, which Dundalk is deemed to be.

Yeah sorry didn't read back further but it would be possible to allow online bookings if they really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Is seat booking charges a new phenomenon? Looking to go to Carrick-on-Shannon on Friday with my sone - 10 Euros per seat per journey, so 40 euros in total. Bringing a 56 fair to 96 Euros!

Edit - think I have it sussed. 10 euros to book a seat if you already have a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Is seat booking charges a new phenomenon? Looking to go to Carrick-on-Shannon on Friday with my sone - 10 Euros per seat per journey, so 40 euros in total. Bringing a 56 fair to 96 Euros!

Edit - think I have it sussed. 10 euros to book a seat if you already have a ticket

Really no need to pay to book a seat if you're travelling from Dublin. Just show up 20 mins to a half hour before departure and get on train as soon as they open it for boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Really no need to pay to book a seat if you're travelling from Dublin. Just show up 20 mins to a half hour before departure and get on train as soon as they open it for boarding.

I'm getting on the train at Maynooth and travelling to Carrick-on-Shannon, so it'll be travelling from Connolly. Anyway, have it sussed - no charge to reserve a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I notice I can travel from Limerick to Galway for 5.99 return and Limerick to Waterford for 24.99, ( and wait an hour at LJ , two trains a day at inconvenient times, and no Sunday service) funny L-W has no passengers and is likely to get the chop

WOULD somebody take IR management and remove them from their jobs. They are killing a railway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BoatMad wrote: »
    I notice I can travel from Limerick to Galway for 5.99 return and Limerick to Waterford for 24.99, ( and wait an hour at LJ , two trains a day at inconvenient times, and no Sunday service) funny L-W has no passengers and is likely to get the chop

WOULD somebody take IR management and remove them from their jobs. They are killing a railway

And you can't buy tickets online either.

Taking bets now for what year LJ-Waterford will be closed.

n97 mini wrote: »
    And you can't buy tickets online either.

Taking bets now for what year LJ-Waterford will be closed.

sometime after the next election

Probably. It certainly looks like they've no interest in running it and are trying to timetable it to death/choke it.

its been like that for years, its not the first and it probably won't be the last

To be fair the intention of the timetable isn't that bad - it's aimed at people travelling from Clonmel to Dublin and v.v., and it also facilitates Waterford/Dublin travellers in a long gap on the direct route.

The issues with the timetable really are:
    * Lack of a commuter service from Clonmel to Waterford and v.v. (Requires an extra train)
    * Lack of a third or fourth train along the entire route (Also requires that extra set)
    * Lack of a Sunday service to facilitate weekend student travel (costly due to extra staff)
    * Most trains ought to be a through Galway-Waterford service

* Most trains ought to be a through Galway-Waterford service

Limerick yes but not Galway, good connection time should be available. To many issues with such a direct service particularly as the current Limerick J-Galway causes many problems with punctually. Not easy to address without adding lots of lee way into the schedules which isn't the answer.

and should be still running through to rosslare or wexford. but to late now

The issues with the timetable really are:

More than timetable issues: No promotional fares and fares not available online. Both major disincentives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement