Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does GAA value Camogie?

Options
  • 15-09-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Yesterday Sept 14, I visited GAA.ie to find out what Camogie fixtures were on. It's easy to find men's football and hurling fixtures and results whether Championship, League or Club; Minor, Under 21, Intermediate, Senior.

Nowhere on GAA.ie could I find even a mention of Camogie not even on the day that the final was played in Croke Park.

I tried the "Search GAA.ie" function to search for camogie - nothing.
    I could't even find a link to or a mention of Camogie.ie.

Maybe all this stuff is there and I'm blind, or maybe the GAA is a misogynist organisation.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

GFish wrote: »
    Yesterday Sept 14, I visited GAA.ie to find out what Camogie fixtures were on. It's easy to find men's football and hurling fixtures and results whether Championship, League or Club; Minor, Under 21, Intermediate, Senior.

Nowhere on GAA.ie could I find even a mention of Camogie not even on the day that the final was played in Croke Park.

Maybe all this stuff is there and I'm blind, or maybe the GAA is a misogynist organisation.

http://www.camogie.ie/..FYI.

Camogie association are separate from GAA for now and that is at their own request.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Technically it's a different organisation with close ties to the GAA.

I found the link here http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/our-games/camogie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Same as Ladies Gaa too. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

BKWDR wrote: »
    Same as Ladies Gaa too. AFAIK

I've heard that the Ladies Football aren't as strongly opposed to the idea of coming more under the GAA banner but that there are some in the upper levels of the camogie organisation who are very strongly opposed to the notion of linking up more with the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Are there plans in place to merge them all?

Edit: ok seems not, thanks Boom Boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

iDave wrote: »
    Are there plans in place to merge them all?

Edit: ok seems not, thanks Boom Boom

There are plans in the longer term from what I've heard, but is seems like things have been moving fairly slowly - it was in conversation with someone who was involved in the whole process on the GAA side and it was a few years back now.

The key thing I remember was that the higher-ups in the camogie organisation were a lot less keen than those in the ladies football.

It's one of those things that is a no-brainer for me and would make stuff like insurance for players cheaper [because of the numbers insurance for ladies is more expense] and stuff like access to pitches much fairer.

I'm not sure of the current up-to-date situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I could be wrong but my understanding was that there is a large number of the MEMBERS of ladies GAA that aren't too keen on the merge with the GAA although you are correct that the senior echelons do want to tag on.
    Some members (of ladies gaa) feel that they will get a fair roll of the dice once thrown into the big machine with regards funding / pitch allocation / telly rights etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Some Camogie people can be very hard to deal with.
    they nearly go out of their way to do things differently than the main GAA body

In saying that, Camogie isn't often given the same standing in a club and county as the men's teams, which is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Despite Rte driving down our throat that the Camogie final was on Yesterday. Nobody I know cared and either did I. To be honest if the game was in my town I still wouldn't care or bother to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Despite Rte driving down our throat that the Camogie final was on Yesterday. Nobody I know cared and either did I. To be honest if the game was in my town I still wouldn't care or bother to go.

Neither would I, I'm always surprised at the low skill level compared to their male counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Camogie association clearly don't value it all that highly as for some reason they sell the broadcast rights to RTE who in turn only show the final each year.At least TG4 give ladies football good coverage and there are matches on fairly often throughout the year.You'd wonder why the camogie association allow this to happen.

Why is camogie called camogie instead of ladies hurling?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    There are plans in the longer term from what I've heard, but is seems like things have been moving fairly slowly - it was in conversation with someone who was involved in the whole process on the GAA side and it was a few years back now.

The key thing I remember was that the higher-ups in the camogie organisation were a lot less keen than those in the ladies football.

It's one of those things that is a no-brainer for me and would make stuff like insurance for players cheaper [because of the numbers insurance for ladies is more expense] and stuff like access to pitches much fairer.

I'm not sure of the current up-to-date situation.

Its the opposite from what I know - and I've been involved with both sides. The ladies football don't want to go under the GAA as certain people would have less job titles that they currently have.

The ladies football don't have insurance, they pay into an injury fund scheme, but the €53 for adults is broken down with money going to county boards, provincial and central council for their running. I'd be highly critical of some of the spending by the LGFA, and I know that the relationship between certain people at the head of the GAA and ladies is very poor. I think the ladies resented how it was brought about by the GAA and felt they were railroaded into talks rather than invited.
    BKWDR wrote: »
    I could be wrong but my understanding was that there is a large number of the MEMBERS of ladies GAA that aren't too keen on the merge with the GAA although you are correct that the senior echelons do want to tag on.
    Some members (of ladies gaa) feel that they will get a fair roll of the dice once thrown into the big machine with regards funding / pitch allocation / telly rights etc etc

Ulster have pulled together to work promoting ladies football, the camogie had the under 21 hurling in with them but that changed. The ladies have a bigger organisation than the camogie, and securing TG4 as the title championship sponsor, Tesco as the club championship sponsor, Cork ladies having SuperValue on board as their sponsor, Dublin ladies football and camogie benefiting from the AIG sponsorship. Pitches will always be an issue and tbh before they spend millions integrating all of them, they need to examine how successful the integration of the one club model has been - build it from the ground up rather than top down first.

I don't see the organisations coming together in Ireland, but I think it would be closer to happening as a test case in Britain first. Much harder for it to work in Ireland with the politics involved

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The camogie are much closer to the GAA than the ladies football, sharing the title sponsor for their championship is the prime example of this. The higher up bodies have a much closer relationship than with the LGFA, due to a conflict of personalities. There badly needs to be changes at the top of the ladies football - its reaching saturation point and will need to change to increase the numbers playing. Camogie have a far greater range for growth if marketed properly - the politics involved in both are bloody ridiculous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Neither would I, I'm always surprised at the low skill level compared to their male counterparts.

Some women's sports seem to catch on, some don't. Tennis and athletics seem to be at virtually the same level as the mens, but the likes of golf, soccer etc have nowhere near the same profile.

And obviously the same for football and camogie in our context.
    Don't really know why that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Nastily negative much lads?

Watch what you want to watch but there's no need to be an a**hole about games you don't want to watch - go play golf or Ludo or whatever floats your misogynistic boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Watch what you want to watch but there's no need to be an a**hole about games you don't want to watch - go play golf or Ludo or whatever floats your misogynistic boats.

I don't think it was overly negative, I made in my opinion a valid point. No need to be insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Why should we go play ludo. It is sexist now not to like some women's sport. Pathetic that people can't speak their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Misogynistic? Haha, what a load of hyperbolic crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

I don't think it was overly negative, I made in my opinion a valid point. No need to be insulting.

Fair enough, maybe it wasn't "overly" negative.

I too made, in my opinion, a valid point.
    I also agree - there is no need to be insulting - even about games you don't like or value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't like that you can drop the hurley.
    And that goals can be scoring as a handpass.

having those two rules dumbs down the game.
    I've actually seen camogie coaches with under 10s practicing handpassing the ball into a net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Is it only at inter-county that there is this divide between the Ladies GAA and Men's?
    From what I have seen at club level, the ladies teams come under the same umbrella of club officers as all the mens teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Why don't the GAA just have Women's Hurling?
    I don't see why that might not work better.

Genuine question...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

robbiezero wrote: »
    Is it only at inter-county that there is this divide between the Ladies GAA and Men's?
    From what I have seen at club level, the ladies teams come under the same umbrella of club officers as all the mens teams.
    Nope. Ladies Football and Camogie are completely different organisations which are self financing and organising.
    At your club level you might dovetail the mens and ladies team organisation, but even for registrations the ladies and camogie are separate, and GAA separate again
    Meaning a lady who plays football and camogie (edit, even for a club) needs to be registered twice to play as a ladies football and camogie association member, and a third time if they also want to be also a member of the GAA proper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ultimately, the GAA only have ties with Camogie, thus don't influence the game. The camogie circles are extremely political and I have found this to hamper the game. Specifically, Dublin underage camogie is where I have seen this.

I have no issue watching womens sport. I watch womens tennis, would only ever watch womens curling and gymnastics (not that I'd watch that on a regular basis). However, I have a few gripes with camogie.

1. People often say camogie is not as skilful as hurling. Complete nonsense, there is no reason the woman cannot do the same tricks and flicks as men. Anyone who watched the final on Sunday would see, the game is quite skilful. However, the game is not as fast. I do not get why they don't play on a smaller pitch. The amount of times I watched ladies football and camogie where they have struggled to get out of their own half is ridiculous. Make the pitch smaller and the game speeds up.

2. The promotion of womens sport is atrocious. The promotion of womens sport stars, notable exceptions Katie Taylor, Sonia in her day etc. I don't get why RTE are not forced to have a female footballer and hurler on their panel for the mens games. There are no role models for young girls. I grew up longing to emulate Dessie Farrell or DJ Carey. Girls don't have these role models.

3. Why in Gods name do they play the final in Croke Park. I understand, for the girls in question, it is a massive deal for them. I'm sorry, but if you want the sport to grow, you have to make sacrifices. I've been to a few Camogie finals and there is literally zero atmosphere. Its even worse on Telly and does nothing to promote people to go. Move it to a smaller stadium and try and create and atmosphere. Put in singing sections, give people drums etc. Look at how other sports artificially create an atmosphere.

I have noticed with ladies football, particularly this year, that the top teams now play a similar defensive style to the men's teams, getting big numbers back in defence when they lose the ball.
    I found both of the ladies football semi-finals to be quite disappointing to watch due to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

robbiezero wrote: »
    I have noticed with ladies football, particularly this year, that the top teams now play a similar defensive style to the men's teams, getting big numbers back in defence when they lose the ball.
    I found both of the ladies football semi-finals to be quite disappointing to watch due to this.

How dare they try and defend properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Some women's sports seem to catch on, some don't. Tennis and athletics seem to be at virtually the same level as the mens, but the likes of golf, soccer etc have nowhere near the same profile.

And obviously the same for football and camogie in our context.
    Don't really know why that is the case.

I suppose after watching the Williams sisters dominate for far too long I'd be inclined to agree. ;)

How dare they try and defend properly.

It made for a poor spectacle. Two bad games to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

With the exception of when the womens national rugby team does well, Camogie and Ladies football are by a long shot the most visible and promoted sports for women in Ireland. Big games always have the results mentioned in sport news, TG4 show bucket loads of ladies football at all levels, there's also often camogie highlights sections on the sunday game.

In comparison I've never heard a thing said about matches in our womens soccer league, I couldnt even tell you who the champions are. Same with domestic womens rugby, we all hear about it for a few weeks if the national team does well, but aside from that there's no coverage or info out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

A good point. While there is room for improvement I would think the exposure ladies GAA gets in Ireland is far in excess to what other women's sport get in Ireland or, for the most part, other women's sports around the world, tennis being a notable exception. Ladies soccer gets little or no coverage in Britain for example and I think there's a professional league there. Ladies rugby is similar in Britain and even hockey has nothing approaching the level of coverage ladies GAA gets in Ireland afaik.

Not sure why Camogie and ladies football haven't agreed to join the GAA yet, the GAA wants them in so the reason they are not lies with the ladies associations.

Advertisement