Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightbulbs - rented house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cerastes wrote: »
    For what I used to calculate, replacing 40 watt filament bulbs with 11 watt energy savers, the calculation is spot on, plus I put in a figure for hours usage that may not suit everyone, its probably more than I use but, others may not switch off bulbs if they have left the room, which I do, unless Im going back shortly.

Plus, the cost of replacing standard bulbs with LED's would cost more, I was going on one year of useage comparing kwhs but including purchase. In a house share, the cost per individual goes down and the saving up.

For returns of faulty bulbs manufactered by major manufacturers, eg phillips, Ive found retailers will do or say anything to get out of refunding where possible, for a start you'd require to keep the receipt, they still might say you could have damaged it, and they might could claim if you had something faulty in your wiring that its not their fault. Worth a try, and you could even try contact the manufacturer. I havent kept bulb receipts, I probably should have, but some cheap ones have gone in a very short time, so no saving on those.

I havent come across anything that suggests it would be a bad idea to mix bulb types, if you can come up with something that suggests this is correct fine, each bulb should just draw the current its respective circuit requires, maybe there are issues with dimmers or energy savers useable on dimmers.

Of course in any subsequent years or however long the bulbs last, the savings will be continuous, so you could add the usage cost of yr 2 to yr1 and divide that by 2 to see what the annual cost is per year.
    Still the more expensive the replacement energy saver bulb, the longer it lasts but the longer it takes to recoup the cost.

In a tenants case, they could bring their energy saver bulbs with them and refit any standard incandescant bulbs fitted, after all they should be paying the bill and make the saving.
    The landlord gains little or no benefit from fitting anything but standard bulbs, as they dont recoup any of that cost and add to the problem in case they are broken and not replaced or taken,

brings me back to believing a bare bones letting, no white goods, no bulbs would be a good idea for all involved, let the tenant furnish/maybe even decorate it all to their taste within reason, so long as its back to all white walls/ceilings/undamaged when they leave.

an 11watt is an CFL which is pretty much obsolete these days.

You should be looking at modern lamps not old CFLs. I've written a paper on replacing lamps with LEDs in a domestic environment and conducted real world tests using the SSL guide and average run times.

The payback is a couple of months and much greater than what you said which is based on obsolete lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Fiskar wrote: »
    I think OP has got the message, has not posted since, close thread!

Why?
    ted1 wrote: »
    an 11watt is an CFL which is pretty much obsolete these days.

You should be looking at modern lamps not old CFLs. I've written a paper on replacing lamps with LEDs in a domestic environment and conducted real world tests using the SSL guide and average run times.

The payback is a couple of months and much greater than what you said which is based on obsolete lamps

11watts is an improvement on 40/60watts.
    How much are LEDs? Ive seen 11watt CFL's havent seen much in the way of bayonet replacement LEDs, how much are they?
    Can we see this paper? link to it?

Advertisement