Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste disposal, Waterford city.

Options
  • 15-09-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just moved to Waterford, Ballybricken area. ours is a street fronted terraced house and as such doesn't have a wheelie bin as there's nowhere to put it.

our landlord said it is possible to buy "city corporation" orange bin bags from corners shops etc. no shop i've visited knows what i mean and look at me as if i have two heads. i asked in the civic offices and they said "i don't know what people do, but we haven't supplied the bags in around 5 years".

however i do see the orange bin bags dotted around the city so they must be available somewhere. can anybody shed any light on this for me? we'd rather not sign up to a years policy, pay as you go bags would be perfect.

thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

They've a big bin waste disposal thing up in the Texaco beside the Hypercentre. €6 for 2 decent sized bags.

Not what you are looking for but might be of use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They've a big bin waste disposal thing up in the Texaco beside the Hypercentre. €6 for 2 decent sized bags.

Not what you are looking for but might be of use :)

might do for the short term :P been here a fortnight so it's starting to become an issue! just google'd big bin, had no idea of such a thing.

Good stuff. If you do find a solution to this let me know as it could come in handy for me, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

How are your neighbours disposing off the waste? Are you sure they are not keeping the bin in the backyard? A 140l, roughly half the size?
    Haven't seen waste bags for years now.

As for the companies operating in the city:
    http://www.greenstar.ie/account/domestic/new
    https://www.oxigen.ie/app/index.php
    http://www.wastepal.com/webclient/webclient_page/1
    https://www.qrl.ie/webclient/splashpage

Other than that - suggested earlier:
    http://www.bigbin.ie/locations/

beazee wrote: »
    How are your neighbours disposing off the waste? Are you sure they are not keeping the bin in the backyard? A 140l, roughly half the size?
    Haven't seen waste bags for years now.

As for the companies operating in the city:
    http://www.greenstar.ie/account/domestic/new
    https://www.oxigen.ie/app/index.php
    http://www.wastepal.com/webclient/webclient_page/1
    https://www.qrl.ie/webclient/splashpage

Other than that - suggested earlier:
    http://www.bigbin.ie/locations/

Thanks for that :)

the house on one side is empty and the other side is a business. i appreciate the 140l for example is much more slender but pulling it through the living room and kitchen to store it out the back isn't too appealing.

the prices advertised for the wheelie bins are keen though, would consider getting one and leaving it on the street (secured to the house with a bungee etc) if it was legal and hopefully wouldn't be subject to vandalism etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

If you PM me I will let you know where to buy the orange bags, they are only available in one shop and you need to arrange collection with the service provider also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If you PM me I will let you know where to buy the orange bags, they are only available in one shop and you need to arrange collection with the service provider also

Is there any reason why you cant post the name of the shop as other people might want to buy them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Is there any reason why you cant post the name of the shop as other people might want to buy them too

I work for the company concerned and the mods on here won't allow me to post anything that promotes the company

Got sorted for the bags with Oxigen waste on the Meagher's Quay :)

Got sorted for the bags with Oxigen waste on the Meagher's Quay :)

How do these work?

How much does it cost, per bag? (How big are the bags).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Can someone explain or am I missing something.
    Oxigen have a standing charge of €160 + €9.50/black bin and €4 for a green or a brown bin. so if you put out 2 black bins per month and 1 each of green and brown that is €27 per month

€27 x 12 = €324 or 1 each of Black/green/brown = €210

So at minimum total is €370 or at max €484

Green star are set at €289 for the year?

Are Oxigen taking the pee or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

I am with quality recycling (formerly Mr binman).
    It is a standard charge of 25 per month.
    Week one black bin
    Week two green & brown bin.
    Total per year is 25 x 12 is 300 per year
    No messing about with tags or lump sum charge
    Very good service.

So Oxigen does look very expensive versus both Greenstar and quality recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Crankyflynn

Oxigen are doing an all in for €25 a month too, 3 bins every fortnight. No tags either

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Hi

Sorry to hijack this thread. Does anyone have a number for the local oxigen office on the quay? Can't get through to the call centre.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Mini wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry to hijack this thread. Does anyone have a number for the local oxigen office on the quay? Can't get through to the call centre.

Thanks

051-850425

Santa-10-june.gif

Oxigen are doing an all in for €25 a month too, 3 bins every fortnight. No tags either

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone else having problems with Greenstar? I'm pissed off with their poor service and plan on changing back to qrl when my current contract with Greenstar is up next month.

I've no idea when my bins will be collected, phoning them is a waste of time as I'm left hanging on for ages and then told my green bin contents would be collected today and they haven't been and no text messages either. My brown and black bins are normally collected together but they didn't empty the brown bin last week. I'm sick of having full bins not being emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

deisemum wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with Greenstar? I'm pissed off with their poor service and plan on changing back to qrl when my current contract with Greenstar is up next month.

I've no idea when my bins will be collected, phoning them is a waste of time as I'm left hanging on for ages and then told my green bin contents would be collected today and they haven't been and no text messages either. My brown and black bins are normally collected together but they didn't empty the brown bin last week. I'm sick of having full bins not being emptied.

We were with Wastepal, who have been taken over by Greenstar since January 1st. I called them last week to change over bank details for DD (Greenstar apparantly don't take monthly CC debits) and they said all was grand, money will be taken out today (Thursday) and green bin collected tomorrow morning. Also asked them about the chip on the bin and she kind of fobbed me off and said it was alright, they'd be collected without it.

Well, no money's been taken out of the account and I'm starting to get worried they won't actually collect the bins tomorrow at all. We really need the bins collected too, as we haven't had a collection since before Christmas (our collection day with Wastepal was a Thursday, (which really screwed us over this particular yuletide season!) and the rubbish is piling up big time. We have bags of the stuff left outside the back door, as they won't fit in the bins at this stage.

Reading their site, they seem very strict about bin weight and having your lid closed, whereas I found Wastepal much more accommodating on that front. Never had an issue with them. Going by what you're saying, I'm not confident Greenstar will be a patch on Wastepal. If our bin doesn't get collected tomorrow, someone's going to be getting a pretty irate phonecall!

By the way, when you say changing back to qrl, who do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

By the way, when you say changing back to qrl, who do you mean?

http://www.qrl.ie/webclient/

Used to be Mr Binman

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

CAH2011 wrote:
    Hi Dark Crystal, I work for Greenstar. If you have access to Facebook, can you please go onto the Greenstar Ireland page and pm us your Account number and full address and we will look into this for you.

well maybe you might let us all know . I put out my bins yesterday morning despite no text and as letter said service as normal presumed it was green bin as that what was due .

spent half a hour trying to get through to you today to a girl who basically would not listen to me and said would log a complaint and I would get a call guess what nothing . My parents the same bins are full . not good enough and will be going to quality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Did I miss a post from Greenstar directed at me?

Anyway, yeah, bins not collected today, nor anyone else on the street who were formerly with Wastepal. There's a load of bins outside houses just waiting to be collected, all of whom haven't had a collection since the week before Christmas.

Looks like my cynicism about this company was well founded. I'll be switching to the other crowd on Monday too.

Edit> They've just come and collected the bin at 6.40 pm! Hallelujah!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

We too have been missed by Greenstar after the change from Wastepal. Not one house in the estate has been collected and rubbish starting to fly around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yeah, another disgruntled greenstar customer here too, bins jam packed and nary a sign of them being emptied. My gruntle really is dissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Greenstar customer here too. Collection day was Tuesday. Got two letters from Greenstar last week re Wastepal takeover & change of collection day. First letter said Thursday, second letter said Wednesday & to ignore first letter.
    Black bin was put out Tuesday night. No collection Wed. Rang & was told collection day was Thur! No collection Thur. Rang and was told 'something went wrong' & bin woild be collected on Fri. It was, after 6pm.
    Our street is littered due to bins left out for three days. No communication from Greenstar. Not good service at all.

I received a phone call after lodging a complaint yesterday that my bin would be collected still not collected but I see others have . It's a disgrace they are full after the Christmas. looks like I need to ring again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got a phonecall from Greenstar yesterday afternoon and was told my refuse would be collected this morning and it was. They said everything will be back to normal next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I've been on the phone to them twice.
    The first time they said put the bins back out, they'll be picked up. I rang back a few hours later, got through to the same girl who told me she had registered my complaint with the local office, and she would get back to me when they got back to her.
    I'm still waiting. The bins are still full.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I see some bins out tonight, are they collecting tomorrow!

• Advertisement

No idea if collecting tomorrow but I have had enough was promised another phone call today never happened bins still there uncollected

Advertisement