Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Electronic Items

Options
  • 15-09-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Im returning home just before christmas and had planned on buying my brothers a ps4 when I got back. Looking at some of the bundle prices here though, they are far better value for money than at home ($450 for a ps4 and 2 games. At home its €399 just for the console!!!). This is pretty standard with most electronic goods.

What I want to know is, is there any complications in bringing electronic goods back to Ireland eg Voltage requirments etc.? I know the plug will be different but thats a minor detail.

Any catch im missing?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Power supply should be ok. Only thing is if they want to use it to watch Blu-ray, some discs are region locked.

Other key thing is warranty. Check the fine print on that to ensure you get same level of cover back home. Modern consoles are pretty complex pieces of kit and can be expensive to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kmart have the PS4 reasonably cheap with Knack and Killzone (average games but still it's cheap).

http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue#view=catalogue&saleId=7130&page=31

Keep an eye out on here: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/?page=1

Normally some great bargains to be found on that for electronics.

As for warranty. PS4 in Australia is on PAL, which is same as Europe. I believe the warranty is based on it's region and thus should keep it in place, with Sony atleast. Same goes for Blu-Ray. Both Australia and Ireland are in Region-B for blurays. I've brought blurays home to ireland and they worked straight away with my families bluray player and visa-versa. I have not checked the PS4 bluray though. But if Region-B blurays work in the PS4 here then why wouldn't they back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

irishmover wrote: »
    Kmart have the PS4 reasonably cheap with Knack and Killzone (average games but still it's cheap).

http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue#view=catalogue&saleId=7130&page=31

Keep an eye out on here: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/?page=1

Normally some great bargains to be found on that for electronics.

As for warranty. PS4 in Australia is on PAL, which is same as Europe. I believe the warranty is based on it's region and thus should keep it in place, with Sony atleast. Same goes for Blu-Ray. Both Australia and Ireland are in Region-B for blurays. I've brought blurays home to ireland and they worked straight away with my families bluray player and visa-versa. I have not checked the PS4 bluray though. But if Region-B blurays work in the PS4 here then why wouldn't they back in Ireland.

Yeah this is actually the deal I was referring too. It seems mad to not buy it and go and spend a couple of hundred quid more when I get home. I take it from your positive response that iys a no brainer?

Hopefully there is no hassle bringing it back in carry on luggage..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Yeah this is actually the deal I was referring too. It seems mad to not buy it and go and spend a couple of hundred quid more when I get home. I take it from your positive response that iys a no brainer?

Hopefully there is no hassle bringing it back in carry on luggage..

If you have the space in the 30kg bag I'd keep it in the original box and wrap some clothes around it. If not then it should fit inside a carry on (largest size possible) with some clothes around it as a buffer. My preference would be carry on as it's with you at all times and judging from what I've seen baggage handlers do I wouldn't be able to travel home comfortably if it was in the hold!

I bought my PS4 for $350 from a guy who got it with his Sony TV (part of that promotion). He never opened it and comes with full warranty from Sony. Couldn't beat that bargain! But I bought it knowing well that I should have no problems with it in Ireland. Saved alot of euro on that one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Blu-rays and power supply are both compatible. DVD's are not though. Bit of a pain as I have to have a second DVD player to watch DVD's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

You can also get the refund of the GST when leaving Australia .. it's 11% and administered at the airport.

I think they say your should have the product on you (hand luggage?) though I wasn't asked to show the items when I applied (Ipad & Iphone).

Took about a week and was put back on to my Visa card.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4461.asp

Advertisement