Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shelbourne or The Marker Hotel?

Options
  • 15-09-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I want to book a 2 night stay over the New Year in Dublin as a surprise and I want to make it as special as I can on a budget of about €500.

I got a quote of €554 for B&B in The Shelbourne in one of their refurbished rooms. However, The Marker was substantially cheaper at €448 for a Superior King B&B. The Deluxe King is €508, the only difference between the two rooms being the view. The Deluxe has a view to the front and the Superior to the back.

I know there are other 5 star hotels in Dublin but I was looking for a spa and a city centre location so I'm down to these two.

Anyone with any for and/or against views on either would be much appreciated. I'm leaning slightly more towards The Marker because it's cheaper and the pool looks incredible but on the other hand for some reason I have always wanted to stay in The Shelbourne and it's location is super.

I'm looking for opinions on rooms, food quality/price, pool area. I understand the room in The Shelbourne has been refurbished but I don't know if the photos on their website portray this as the rooms look a bit old fashioned.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'd go with the Marker, plenty more space inside and around for a more luxurious feeling (I haven't seen the rooms though). The Shelbourne is smaller and the town will be packed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know the Marker is new and probably better value, but personally, I'd go with the Shelbourne because it is the Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I think it depends on your personality and age group. The Shelbournes target market is older, with a bit of American tourist and snootiness mixed in. Nothing wrong with it, very proper and old school, but some of the rooms are a little tired. It does have a refined atmosphere.
    The Marker is more modern, and the fixtures and fittings are new. The Rooftop Bar is lovely, but can be tricky to get into on a nice evening - check if guests get priority. The Marker is hip, but manages to stay off the "I'm too cool for you" ledge that make a 5* intimidating.

If I was choosing, it would be the Marker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd go with the Shelbourne. There is no where like it. I've no idea what the bedrooms are like (other than hearing that they are quite small) but the public areas have a more traditional five star vibe to them than The Marker does. The Marker is very hip, but I wouldn't consider it to be all that posh.

OP, what are you planning on doing, apart from doing the pool/spa thing? With the Shelbourne, you have a lot of things right on your doorstep...restaurants, bars, pubs, Grafton St shopping, museums, galleries, nightclubs etc etc. The Marker is a good bit away from all that. It's dead handy if you are going to a show at the Board Gais theatre. There are a few restaurants clustered around Grand Canal Dock, but that is about it. I'd say that there would be a much greater buzz and atmosphere at the Shelbourne, especially at that time of year, as it is right in the heart of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I'd go with the Shelbourne too, purely on location. Grand Canal Dock is lovely and everything but the Shelbourne is bang in the middle of town so there should be a much better atmosphere around there. Also its nice to be able to have brekkie, then go for a walk, find a coffee shop to relax, back to the room after its cleaned, back out again if you want. The Shelbournes location means you're smack bang in the middle of everything so staying there is great for enjoying things in town but if you want to head back to the room you know you're never really much more than a 10 minute walk away. You won't have that down in Grand Canal Dock as most of the cities attractions, shopping, etc is a good 15 minute walk away from it to get into town proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I'd go with the Shelbourne too, purely on location. Grand Canal Dock is lovely and everything but the Shelbourne is bang in the middle of town so there should be a much better atmosphere around there. Also its nice to be able to have brekkie, then go for a walk, find a coffee shop to relax, back to the room after its cleaned, back out again if you want. The Shelbournes location means you're smack bang in the middle of everything so staying there is great for enjoying things in town but if you want to head back to the room you know you're never really much more than a 10 minute walk away. You won't have that down in Grand Canal Dock as most of the cities attractions, shopping, etc is a good 15 minute walk away from it to get into town proper.
    OP would have €106 to spend on taxis though. How many times would a tourist be returning to their hotel room during a typical day?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

I'd choose The Shelbourne myself. Just well because it's The Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've never stayed in any, but I've eaten and drank in both, so i know what services and atmosphere is like. My choice would be: The Merrion :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I would say the marker. Mam stayed in the Shelbourne before and it was in one of the refurbished rooms. Apart from the dressing gowns there was nothing that special about it.

I am guessing that most of the time will be spent in the room or in the spa so you want them to be super nice. I would go to the newer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've never stayed in any, but I've eaten and drank in both, so i know what services and atmosphere is like. My choice would be: The Merrion :pac:

The Merrion as fabulous as it looks, is wayyyyy out of my budget, it's around the €1000 mark for 2 nights with breakfast and around €900 without breakfast. Thank you anyway.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your replies, you have all been very helpful. I'm now leaning towards The Shelbourne for the buzz and location primarily. As one poster said above, it's nice to know you can pop back to your room without being miles away.

Shopping will be a big one, Grafton St, Jervis and Dundrum. Wanted to go to the zoo as well and a walk on Dun Laoighaire pier. Have a friend out near Dundrum as well. Wanted to head the fireworks on NYE too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Probably the Marker mainly due to having gone to a wedding in the Shelbourne (which was lovely it has to be said) but everyone who stayed there said the rooms were really quite small. That said, location-wise, the Shelbourne is far superior.

reprazant wrote: »
    Probably the Marker mainly due to having gone to a wedding in the Shelbourne (which was lovely it has to be said) but everyone who stayed there said the rooms were really quite small. That said, location-wise, the Shelbourne is far superior.

Thanks for your reply. How long ago was the wedding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

About 5 or 6 years ago. It was just after the big refurbishment. They may have done another one since then, not sure, but that was a major one. I think the hotel was closed for a bit while they did it. While the fittings may have changed since then, I doubt they have changed the size of the rooms.

The people who stayed said that while the rooms looked nice and the fittings were all nice, they were just really small. It didn't seem to fit with the price paid. That might have been because they were all with the wedding though, might be different for others.

I've just noticed that overnight parking at The Shelbourne is €25?! That adds about €50 to my budget. Anyone know of anywhere else nearby where parking would be cheaper? Could get the train up and leave the car behind I suppose, would save on petrol too. We're about 2.5 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The multi-story car parks at Setanta Place, Stephens green and Drury street do overnight parking for €7 or €8, but it's only from the evening to the morning. If the car's going to be out all day, it might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP were you intending on parking the car up from when you arrive till you depart? If so that could work out expensive no matter where you park it as there is little free in Dublin city centre. A good few places do overnight rates of €9-12 but then it'll cost more if you don't move it out by a certain time, which is just hassle.

If as you say you're mainly here for the shopping of Grafton St and Dundrum then you've got the Luas on St.Stephens Green that goes right to Dundrum Shopping Center and if you stay in the Shelbourne both the Luas and Grafton St are a 3 minute walk from the front door. So for what you are visiting Dublin for public transport is perfectly feasible while you're here and then a taxi from the Shelbourne to Connolly or Hueston won't cost the earth.

If you really did want to arrive by car and wanted to save on parking costs altogether then there are spots slightly outside of the city centre where you could park on street for 2 days and with it being New Years Eve and lots of people being away and others coming and going, etc you'd be fine. Another option you have is to use the Luas Park and Ride at one of its locations, you'll get cheaper parking there and a Luas direct to town. Check first that they allow cars to remain overnight though, I'm not 100% on that.

If you're really stuck give me a shout, I've got two car park spaces in Dublin 11 and only a motorbike between the two of them so you're more than welcome to park up there for free. I'm a 25 minute bus ride to the city but my bus does go right in front of the Shelbourne and through the middle of the city.

But overall if I were you I'd just leave the car at home. Once you have a hotel with a good location and the Luas on your doorstep you won't need a car in Dublin city centre at all and it'll just end up being either an extra cost or an extra hassle. If you park it near the Shelbourne it'll cost you a fair bit for two nights and days, if you leave it further out in the suburbs it'll cost less but take longer to get into the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Esel wrote: »
    OP would have €106 to spend on taxis though. How many times would a tourist be returning to their hotel room during a typical day?

If I'm paying 500 a day for it then I wouldn't leave the fcking thing.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you're really stuck give me a shout, I've got two car park spaces in Dublin 11 and only a motorbike between the two of them so you're more than welcome to park up there for free. I'm a 25 minute bus ride to the city but my bus does go right in front of the Shelbourne and through the middle of the city.

Thanks a lot for that offer, very good of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

OP, I've stayed in the Shelbourne and been there for a few functions. The rooms are quite small but they are comfortable. For me personally a small hotel room doesn't bother me as long as the bed is comfortable and all fixtures and fittings work.
    The thing that would put the Shelbourne in front for me, particularly at Christmas time, is that their decorations are the traditional decorations. I have been there for 2 Christmas parties and they don't do the minimalist "chic" look and I love traditional old style decorations.
    I'm not sure what your plan is for the actual midnight celebration of welcoming in the new year but they will make it memorable, sing songs in the bar, everyone jovial enjoying themselves, if that's your sort of thing.
    I've never stayed in The Marker, it does look lovely but may be a bit cool for a traditional Christmas celebration - I may be wrong, that's just my experience with more modern hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

You cant beat the vibe in the Shelly at christmas! Have never stayed in the rooms but have enjoyed many a drink there over the xmas period - the decorations make it!

Advertisement