Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Research on Psychics.

Options
  • 15-09-2014 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Has there been any (academic/credible) research carried out on Irish or British psychics.

I was watching Colin Fry this morning on the 6th Sense, and he is extremely convincing.

I cant see why psychics are not given more credibility by thorough research or other means.

Perhaps this has been done and results inconclusive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Plenty of times. Jaes Randi has a couple of good demonstrations on a TV show of various psychic abilities failing.

There was also a programme done where various water dowsers tested their methord on a building site in Australia; oh and Dawkins did a show called Enemies of Reason I believe where a university professor tested dowsers.

Apart from the last point there I'm not personally aware of any other reputed/academic research. To be perfectly honest I think it's because much of it is so obviously a fraud. If people could really predict the future or talk to the dead life would be a lot simpler and we would know a lot more.

Dr Phil? Are you serious? I couldn't stomach more than a few seconds, but that nonsense from 5.30 - 6.30 is classic cold reading.

He is throwing out bits of random information and letting the audience latch on to it. Not to mention the barnum statements, the information is very vague. I would be a lot more impressed if he pointed at someone and said you are x years old, you were born in y month, you have z number of kids, on the 25th of July 1992 you had a car accident. ie non vague specific information that would apply only to one person.

Skimmed through it a bit more. "Do you know a Linda, or Lindsey or an L?" LOL. He is a good fisherman. Honestly hurts to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Yes I am serious Gumbi and I think that's it very very poor. I did not post it up as evidence. I posted it up to see what it contained. It is crap.

You obviously are totally dismissive of it all, I am not, but I am open minded.

In the meantime I am looking for any pointers for UK or Irish research. (see first post).

I am open minded to anything that is backed up by solid evidence, and to be honest, all I've seen is not only dismissable, but laughable.

It's a disgrace that guy was given a platform to peddle his nonsense and exploit people (this part is particularly disgusting, the exploitation of vulnerable people), he wasn't even a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Gumbi, have you any recommendations for credible research into UK or Irish psychics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

I believe that Gordon Smith Scottish psychic has worked with many paranormal groups with an excellent success rate (so I heard).

Not2Good wrote: »
    I believe that Gordon Smith Scottish psychic has worked with many paranormal groups with an excellent success rate (so I heard).

Not definitive in any way, but it seems like another classic case of cold reading according to this article/blog http://freethoughtblogs.com/ashleymiller/2012/11/13/bad-psychic-gordon-smith/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not definitive in any way, but it seems like another classic case of cold reading according to this article/blog http://freethoughtblogs.com/ashleymiller/2012/11/13/bad-psychic-gordon-smith/

Everyone is entitled to their own view. For me in my opinion, Gordon Smith cannot be lumped in with untrained mediums who cold read or chance their arms. I might be right, I might be wrong, I haven't met the man.

Granted some critics have said that about him but those same people won't ever find a medium up to their high standards i.e. they do not believe in mediums whatsoever and accordingly will always say 'cold reading' or whatever … you need an unbiased critic who is open to the idea that some people possibly have special gifts. …..

Everyone is entitled to their own view. For me in my opinion, Gordon Smith cannot be lumped in with untrained mediums who cold read or chance their arms. I might be right, I might be wrong, I haven't met the man.

Granted some critics have said that about him but those same people won't ever find a medium up to their high standards i.e. they do not believe in mediums whatsoever and accordingly will always say 'cold reading' or whatever … you need an unbiased critic who is open to the idea that some people possibly have special gifts. …..

I am open minded to believe anything given enough evidence... Would you care to provide why you think Gordon Smith shouldn't be lumped in with the others?

You seem to think those who disbelieve in mediums have high standards... I mean you're kidding right? They damn well better be high standards when someone is claiming to literally perform magic, like talking to the dead or predicting the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You need a thorough double-blind test. Which no psychic has ever passed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The OP has asked for academic research. Google Scholar is a good place to search for academic articles, however I would say that much of the research has been done decades ago and almost without exception finds zero evidence to support claims of psychic ability.

In fact the overwhealming evidence against psychics, faith healers and alternative medicine practitioners etc is typically used when teaching critical thinking skills. A key part of having a open mind, unlike what some of the posters here would have you believe. Even tonight Derren Brown tore strips out of psychics on his Channel 4 show to great effect.

5uspect wrote: »
    The OP has asked for academic research. Google Scholar is a good place to search for academic articles, however I would say that much of the research has been done decades ago and almost without exception finds zero evidence to support claims of psychic ability.

In fact the overwhealming evidence against psychics, faith healers and alternative medicine practitioners etc is typically used when teaching critical thinking skills. A key part of having a open mind, unlike what some of the posters here would have you believe. Even tonight Darren Brown tore strips out of psychics on his Channel 4 show to great effect.

Gonna check that out! Derren Brown is good. Here is a link for anyone who wants to watch it on 4OD. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#3759363

Advertisement