Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont load bios or OS

Options
  • 15-09-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Laptop wont load bios or OS

Interesting issue here.
    When I press the power button, the HD activity led light comes on for just a second, I feel the HD spinning up and running, the fan kicks in and runs, then nothing. No leds flahing, just power led, no beeps, no screen and no bios.
    I'v discharged static build up (battery out, power button held down 30") and tried both mains & battery to no effect. There were no precursors to this issue.
    So I can deduce the laptop is unable to complete POST in pre bios, despite the lack of beeps yet can power fan & HD.
    I'm backed up and use my second laptop so nothing urgent, just a opertunity to learn.
    I am interested in hearing from hardware geeks and their thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What brand/model laptop is it? i'm guessing it has a Nvidia 8xxx series GPU and its failed :( ..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Disconnect the battery and remove the hard disk and optical disk, and reseat the RAM. You don't need any of those to boot to BIOS setup.

But as yoyo said, could possibly be fried (well self-desoldered) graphics chip. Post the model #.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

yoyo wrote: »
    What brand/model laptop is it? i'm guessing it has a Nvidia 8xxx series GPU and its failed :( ..

Nick
    Now I'm impressed, GPU GForce 8400m GS, spot on!
    Advent 5401. Now trust me I know this brand is dodgy. I'v had a exceptional life span with it. I'v had it since '08, yep '08, in daily use, often clean out air flow, used a cooler underneath as I read about the Nvidia GPU failures and have replaced the fan as I heard ball bearing begining to reveal themselves.
    Now I understood that a failure of the 8xxx series usually presented a degraded screen, lines etc rather than failing post.
    As I dont imagine its worth a reflow & I have a 5401 disassembly PDF I'm considering digging deeper. Is there a visual clue on the MB / GPU that would confirm this diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK no, and it writes off the mobo bar a reflow. So its time to start shopping.

Advertisement