Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help determining sex of cat

• 15-09-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Evening all,

we have recently been adopted by a stray cat. just a little bit of background info. We came across her (at least we think its a she, but we have no idea) about a year ago as a kitten, she was in a ditch near our house. We fed her whenever we saw her but for the past year, she would pop up now and again in the garden, never staying for more than a few minutes and wandering off again. She was always very thin and not looking her best. However in the past few weeks she has made herself well and truly at home and has become quite friendly. She will let me pet her and even brush her. We feed and water her twice a day and she even has a little house in the garden now. We have treated her for fleas and worms, and she just finished a course of antibiotics as she had discharge from her eyes which thankfully looks to have cleared up. We are hoping to gain more trust from her and to get her neutered soon. She has put on weight, and looks a lot better than she did, even grooming herself now.

We have called her Mercy, as we think she originated in the derelict convent beside our house (the convent of Mercy, over ran with cats), but we were wondering if she should be called Percy! I've managed to take a couple of pics so if anyone would enlighten me it would be great. We are dog people, never had a cat before, and we just want to help her out. Thanks in advance :)

Mercy.jpg

Mercy1.jpg

Mercy2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

She, it'd be a tom cat if she had a broader head and if the holes were further apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

She looks REALLY old too, poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Thanks for the replies, Mercy it is so :)

We actually think she is only just over a year old, as we think she was a kitten when we first came across her last summer. Unless it was a completely different cat altogether. She seems happy out in the garden for now, she goes for her little rambles in the afternoon and is back by tea time, so however long she is here, we will make her at home, and go ahead with our plan to get her neutered next month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

From that angle I'd say yes, it seems to be a girl... this is my "technique" for establishing if blue or pink collars should be bought:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91763701&postcount=11
    and see photos of what I mean here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91768351&postcount=19

Hope it helps. Please give her a rub behind the ears and under the chin from me - thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

have you got any more photos of her face? i can barely see her pupils in that picture, it's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Not to be crude but if it was an unneutered adult male you'd see the balls a mile off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I would say 99% a girl, but could eh a possibility of being a neutered boy. Doubtful but it's hard to tell just from a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I would say 99% a girl, but could eh a possibility of being a neutered boy. Doubtful but it's hard to tell just from a picture!

Same here, but you say you've been feeding her for a year? If so it's likely that she's neutered, otherwise you'd certainly have kittens by now.

oh, reread and see that she would disappear on and off, probably having kittens then. Could very well be pregnant now, neuter as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

A quick update on Mercy. She was at the vet yesterday to be neutered and while on the operating table, the vet discovered she had already had the op done before, so its likely that she is older than we think and was a pet at some point or else part of a t/n/r scheme. She has no microchip and the vet commented that it was obvious from her condition that she had been living rough for an extended period of time.

I feel awful that we put her through such a rough day yesterday, but at least we know now she is neutered and she was given a full health check etc, back for the results and stitches out in 10 days. She was very well behaved last night, she stayed in the house, but was itching to get outside the whole time, so she is happily perched in her favourite spot at the moment. And thankfully she doesn't seem to be holding a grudge, she was very happy to get cuddles this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

carleigh wrote: »
    A quick update on Mercy. She was at the vet yesterday to be neutered and while on the operating table, the vet discovered she had already had the op done before, so its likely that she is older than we think and was a pet at some point or else part of a t/n/r scheme. She has no microchip and the vet commented that it was obvious from her condition that she had been living rough for an extended period of time.

I feel awful that we put her through such a rough day yesterday, but at least we know now she is neutered and she was given a full health check etc, back for the results and stitches out in 10 days. She was very well behaved last night, she stayed in the house, but was itching to get outside the whole time, so she is happily perched in her favourite spot at the moment. And thankfully she doesn't seem to be holding a grudge, she was very happy to get cuddles this morning :)

Don't feel awful, she's a very lucky cat to have been found by you. Not your fault that someone abandoned her. If she was a TNR she'd have an eartip removed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement