Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My immigration experience (Vancouver-IEC 2014)

Options
  • 15-09-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I'm here, I made it. It's my third day in Vancouver and MAN is it hot! I wasn't expecting the weather to be like this, but it's beautiful all the same. I thought I'd just give a little run down for anyone thinking of coming here and what to expect throughout your travels.

I got a mid-day flight out of Dublin on Friday and just before I went through the gate, I was asked to see my papers before getting on the flight, I was just quizzed over a few questions like why I was going, if I had a visa etc. I showed them my P.O.E and that was fine, off I went. 7 hours later, I arrive at Toronto airport where everyone is ushered into the same area (If you're worried or wondering what a visa applicant has to do once getting there, there's no need to fret as you're literally directed to the location you need to be at).

The first area you're brought to is the foreign visitor or Canadian resident section where you just cue up depending on what you are, and hand in your declaration card when it's your turn in line. (A card which is provided to you on the plane prior to landing which you fill out). Once you're through there, depending on what was written on your declaration card, you'll get it checked at the next check point and either ushered into the visa applicant line, or allowed to head on straight to baggage claim. As I was a visa applicant, I got into that line and waited for a while until I was told to go and sit and wait for my number (I got a sticker with the number 3 stuck my paper's folder). Where I was sitting,I was surrounded by individual booths where visa officers were dealing with applicants. It felt a bit weird, almost like an interrogation process, but once called in they were really lovely.

What I found odd, even though I had proof of funds, proof of insurance, I wasn't asked for any of it! I asked if she'd like to see it and I just got a "Nahhh, you're ok". I was taken back a bit as up until this stage, all the reading I had done made it seem like you would be grilled over such things. So, after just showing her my P.O.E, she printed out my work visa and stapled it into my Passport. She then offered to get my SIN (Social Insurance Number) at that stage too, which was great! I thought I'd have had to get that when I got to Vancouver. Well, it seems like I still do as I was unaware of one big issue when applying for your SIN. They ask you a question about the accommodation you're going to be staying at. I told her that I'm staying there for 18 days, and she found that unacceptable. She told me, if I had said a month or so, she could give me my SIN there and then, but as I was under the threshold (which I didn't know existed) I wasn't given it.

So, today I'm going to get it, but might have tell a porky in order to get it as I start work tomorrow! Moving on! I left that area a few minutes after, and went to baggage claim. You pick up your bag even though it has been booked to continue on to your final destination. You pick it up and bring it out of that area (follow the purple signs for connecting flights) and you get your bags re-checked in the next area. It's not a long process like your initial checking, you just bring it up to the correct counter and it's done in a matter of seconds, then you leave that area and more than likely you'll be getting the train from terminal 3 to terminal 1 if you're needing to connect onto another destination. (Super fast and short train which is suspended above the ground, which is pretty cool).

You just find your gate number and head towards it, having to go through another security check zone, but it's really quick and simple. It felt more relaxing going through theirs than it did Dublin Airport (which I thought would have been the opposite feeling). They were really curtious and friendly.

From that stage onwards, you just do the normal thing of heading to your gate and wait. I had one more flight to take which would take just a bit over 5 hours to Vancouver international. I was so nervous going through all of this process by myself, but by the near end I was laughing at myself for how easy it really was. If there is anyone out there who has a nervous disposition like myself, be reassured that the trip is much more easier than you might think!

What I would suggest, is that anyone going to Toronto and onwards elsewhere, to make sure you have ample stopover time. I had 4 hours but the flight was delayed by 40 mins getting in, and by the time I had done everything, I had just under an hour left to sit at the gate. It's amazing how time flew past.

EDIT: Some further information. Regarding obtaining your SIN, there are "Service Canada Centers" all over any state you go into, They're about as frequent as a post office and that's where you'll obtain your insurance number. You'll need it in order to obtain any level of work. All you need is a passport, work permit and an address WITH the postal code.

Regarding a phone service to go with, it's best and probably the only option once you land to get a prepaid service. It's a bit more steep than our european companies, but they do offer some good plans. I chose a prepaid plan with "Fido". It's a younger/funkier sub company of "Rogers" which is as big as BT or UPC back at home. You can of course do your own research, but through my own I thought they seemed like the best for a temporary mobile plan.

And finally, regarding a bank. I've been getting mixed reviews and point of views from people living here, but the overall consensus is to avoid the big banks even though some of them are offering free iPad Mini's with new accounts! (that's with RBC banking) (yeah, you're not going to get a deal like that at home!!!). But in the long run, they're out to bleed you dry with fees which can be ridiculous! ($3.50 transaction charges on some ATM's here). So, I've decided to go with a credit union instead. My new workmates were telling me that's what I should do and I'd trust their advice. There are no fees and they're as convenient as a big bank. "Vancity" is known to be good credit union for anyone interested! :)

If you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Welcome to vancouver! The weather is savage, isn't it? :)

Did you change your flight to Vancouver to give you longer to get through Toronto?

Weather really is something else here! I see you've a job sorted, that's good! Just to say that when I went to CIC in Calgary to get my SIN, I just gave the address of the hostel I was staying in, and they accepted that. Since you've a job on the go, you should have no problem getting a place to live here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

welcome,great info there in your post for people coming over-here only 3 weeks,that weather's been like that since i came(except one day of rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Thanks guys. Yeah, the weather is awesome Faith. I also changed my flight about a week before I had to go so instead of the 1hr 45 stopover time I gave myself, I changed it to the later flight so it gave me 4 hours.

Even if I didn't need the full 4 hours, it gave me peace of mind that I could take my time and go through whatever procedures that I needed to go through without worrying of time restrictions.

Man, I have to say I'm a bit annoyed over the SIN situation. Yesterday, I went in to get my SIN number, and they never even asked me about where I'm staying apart from my address. The worker in immigration at the airport must have been having a bad day to not allow me to get it done there as it was clearly not an issue in the OFFICAL office. But anyway, I've got it now and gave it to the HR department in my new job today.

I'm going to edit my original post about the SIN and some other new info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    But anyway, I've got it now and gave it to the HR department in my new job today.

I'm going to edit my original post about the SIN and some other new info :)

Hey, cool post - very informative. Regarding work, what is your profession if you don't mind me asking, and how did you go about having a job lined up for when you arrived?
    Cheers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

GrumPy wrote: »
    Hey, cool post - very informative. Regarding work, what is your profession if you don't mind me asking, and how did you go about having a job lined up for when you arrived?
    Cheers! :)

I'd also love to know this! I'm not sure how far in advance I should start reaching out to companies over there.

Can I ask also- how much was your flight, and did you book it one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

AmyPL wrote: »
    I'd also love to know this! I'm not sure how far in advance I should start reaching out to companies over there.

Can I ask also- how much was your flight, and did you book it one way?

Noticed he is a graphic designer - he had 5 remote interviews via Skype and had to submit work samples, too. (Read on another thread ;) )
    Most people just buy one way tickets I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

Welcome to Canada! :)

I just landed on Sunday, getting everything seemed to be easy enough and the guys in the visa office in Toronto were pretty sound, no questions about proof of funds or health insurance. I had them anyway just to be safe. All I can add in terms of advice is if you have a connecting flight to your final destination try to see if you can get one 4 hours after you land, mine was less than 2 - through Aer Lingus - and thanks to a baggage delay I missed my connection, Air Canada got me on the next flight but I was in Toronto for over 4 hours waiting. I also couldn't be guaranteed a seat, I got lucky, but I could have been waiting 6 hours if there hadn't been any seats left.

Also, if you're first destination isn't your final one, I flew Toronto then on to Vancouver, you have to re-check your bags, basically there'll be a desk at baggage claim for your airline and you bring them your bag, tell them it's yours and then they send it off for your connecting flight. (That's what caused our delay)

The hostel I'm staying in recommended phonebox for a sim. They don't charge termination fees, so you can cancel whenever you want. Plans are expensive and remember you have to pay for receiving calls and messages. So keep that in mind when you're looking at plans.

The hostel also had information on getting a SIN and it was pretty simple. Only advice is go in the morning, the girls in the office told me it would take nearly 2 hours in the afternoon compared to the 10 minutes it too in the morning.

I took a hop on/hop off tour on my first day and I recommend doing that as it'll help get you orientated in the city.

Job hunting and house hunting is tough, I spent the last few days replying to every ad out there, even coffee shops and bars. Apply for everything, unless you're a skilled worker looking for something in a specific area I'd recommend just sending out as many applications as you possibly can. Even getting something temporary to start will help you get settled in and then you can start to look for the job you want :)

Just to add, I love Vancouver! It's an incredible city. I'm here three days and I don't want to leave!

micayla wrote: »
    Welcome to Canada! :)

I just landed on Sunday, getting everything seemed to be easy enough and the guys in the visa office in Toronto were pretty sound, no questions about proof of funds or health insurance. I had them anyway just to be safe. All I can add in terms of advice is if you have a connecting flight to your final destination try to see if you can get one 4 hours after you land, mine was less than 2 - through Aer Lingus - and thanks to a baggage delay I missed my connection, Air Canada got me on the next flight but I was in Toronto for over 4 hours waiting. I also couldn't be guaranteed a seat, I got lucky, but I could have been waiting 6 hours if there hadn't been any seats left.

Also, if you're first destination isn't your final one, I flew Toronto then on to Vancouver, you have to re-check your bags, basically there'll be a desk at baggage claim for your airline and you bring them your bag, tell them it's yours and then they send it off for your connecting flight. (That's what caused our delay)

The hostel I'm staying in recommended phonebox for a sim. They don't charge termination fees, so you can cancel whenever you want. Plans are expensive and remember you have to pay for receiving calls and messages. So keep that in mind when you're looking at plans.

The hostel also had information on getting a SIN and it was pretty simple. Only advice is go in the morning, the girls in the office told me it would take nearly 2 hours in the afternoon compared to the 10 minutes it too in the morning.

I took a hop on/hop off tour on my first day and I recommend doing that as it'll help get you orientated in the city.

Job hunting and house hunting is tough, I spent the last few days replying to every ad out there, even coffee shops and bars. Apply for everything, unless you're a skilled worker looking for something in a specific area I'd recommend just sending out as many applications as you possibly can. Even getting something temporary to start will help you get settled in and then you can start to look for the job you want :)

Just to add, I love Vancouver! It's an incredible city. I'm here three days and I don't want to leave!

Hey Micayla! Nice to know you're over here too!

I did actually mention exactly what you mentioned in your post (The extra stop over time and the connecting flight baggage). It was only after ringing Toronto immigration whilst I was in Ireland did they suggest to change my later connecting flight as they suggested that I wouldn't have had enough time. Regarding looking for work, you really are not helping yourself by only starting to look when you get over here. You really want to be putting in job applications a MINIMUM of a month before you get over here as the job process is much slower here than it is in Europe. My job interview consisted of 4 Skype interviews and a design test. That spanned about 6 weeks. For me, I had been searching 3 months , plus the 6 weeks for the interviews before coming over here. You're going to find it close to impossible to find any apartment or house willing to take you on as a tenant if you don't have a job. They're more stringent about such things here.

My implicated job area is Graphic Design, and it makes getting this job that bit more satisfying, because to get a good Graphic Design job over here is supposedly quite hard to achieve. To get one whilst not even being in the country at the time, well, you can imagine how I felt!!

To have the least amount of hassle over here , just be super organised. It will help you out so much and things will flow so much better for you. If you have one of those nagging thoughts like "should I be doing "X"? Should I be starting to do "Y" now?" I can guarantee that the answer should be YES to any question like that.

What area are you in Micayla? :)

You're going to find it close to impossible to find any apartment or house willing to take you on as a tenant if you don't have a job. They're more stringent about such things here.

That's not quite true. We applied to 3 places, we were completely upfront about not having jobs, and we were offered all 3 places. We had our pick of apartments in the end.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    That's not quite true. We applied to 3 places, we were completely upfront about not having jobs, and we were offered all 3 places. We had our pick of apartments in the end.

Yeah? well you've been very lucky. Most of the places I've been looking at require tenants to have jobs by default.

Just to counter the "if you don't have a job here before you land YOU'RE SCUPPERED!!!" streak, there's plenty of temp work available, Pristine Labour for one. Arranged a meeting last week, started work last Monday, had work offered all week so far. Once you've set up an income, then you can get into the nitty gritty of job hunting.

What I would say is try to have enough to keep you going for at least a month unpaid before you come. I'd love to get an apartment, but I have to wait until I've gotten enough from this temping work before I can even consider it. That means hostels for a few weeks!

Yeah? well you've been very lucky. Most of the places I've been looking at require tenants to have jobs by default.

It'll say it in all the ads, but in reality, as long as you're well presented and don't seem like a scumbag, most places are willing to take a chance on you. We applied to a place that got half a dozen applications, in a good neighbourhood and we were offered it.

By all means, make it crystal clear you're actively job hunting and that you have enough savings to keep you going for a few months, but there's no reason you won't be able to get a place without a job. We found a place within a week of arrival, in the heart of kits, at the busiest renting time of year.

Hey Micayla! Nice to know you're over here too!

I did actually mention exactly what you mentioned in your post (The extra stop over time and the connecting flight baggage). It was only after ringing Toronto immigration whilst I was in Ireland did they suggest to change my later connecting flight as they suggested that I wouldn't have had enough time. Regarding looking for work, you really are not helping yourself by only starting to look when you get over here. You really want to be putting in job applications a MINIMUM of a month before you get over here as the job process is much slower here than it is in Europe. My job interview consisted of 4 Skype interviews and a design test. That spanned about 6 weeks. For me, I had been searching 3 months , plus the 6 weeks for the interviews before coming over here. You're going to find it close to impossible to find any apartment or house willing to take you on as a tenant if you don't have a job. They're more stringent about such things here.

My implicated job area is Graphic Design, and it makes getting this job that bit more satisfying, because to get a good Graphic Design job over here is supposedly quite hard to achieve. To get one whilst not even being in the country at the time, well, you can imagine how I felt!!

To have the least amount of hassle over here , just be super organised. It will help you out so much and things will flow so much better for you. If you have one of those nagging thoughts like "should I be doing "X"? Should I be starting to do "Y" now?" I can guarantee that the answer should be YES to any question like that.

What area are you in Micayla? :)

The area of work that I'm looking for over here will be in film production as a runner and that means building up contacts which I wouldn't have been able to do before coming to the city. At the moment I'm looking for temp work and I have enough funds to last me 5 months unpaid. The only real issue for me is looking for a room on my own in a shared apartment is frustrating. Most ads don't have a phone number so I'm just stuck waiting to hear back. I've applied to the International House here in Vancouver so hopefully I'll hear back from them today.

I'm in the Granville area at the moment, hoping to keep within the Skytrain area though as I don't want to be miles out of the city. What about you?

For other newbies travelling over I got my bank account the other day, went with TD Bank, free banking for six months and they accepted the hostel as my address. They have a great New to Canada package :) If you're worried about cards/PINs, don't they do it there for you in branch so no having to wait a week for your card and another week for you PIN. They also ordered me a cheque book and said I can pick it up in branch. Have to say they were by far the friendliest bank I have ever been in. Even the branch manager came out to welcome me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You're in the wrong place for film production then. Toronto is the spot for the bulk of that in Canada. BC has been improving, but all the big productions still happen in Toronto. Any time you see New York in movies or on TV (Suits/Godzilla/Whatever), it's actually Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Still a relatively big film industry in Vancouver to be fair.

COYVB wrote: »
    You're in the wrong place for film production then. Toronto is the spot for the bulk of that in Canada. BC has been improving, but all the big productions still happen in Toronto. Any time you see New York in movies or on TV (Suits/Godzilla/Whatever), it's actually Toronto

Both have very big industries to be fair and Vancouver seems more my kind of place than Toronto, if things don't work out for me here I'll just move on:)

Yeah, all them sound stages you can see from the Skytrain after Rupert station are all for show........ O_o

Ever hear the phrase "Hollywood North"?

Not true at all. My OH is in film production. We weren't here a wet week before he started getting freelance work. BC historically is the main spot for filming in Canada. Because of tax incentives, work spread out to Toronto, but the industry has recovered nicely in Vancouver.

You really have got to stop listening to stereotypical views on places like this. I was told that getting a Graphic Design job was near on impossible in the current climate here in Vancouver, and I ended up landing a design job better than most people can obtain.

My point is that there's no point in pointing such things out when the person is already here, it just serves to reinforce negative support. Only those who are in the industry would be able to say such things and have it be a credible statement. One or two people have a bad experience and people tend to jump on the bad wagon of "This is how things are".

No matter what job you're aiming to get here, you have to be persistent and focus on getting what you want. The competition is higher here, it just means you have to work harder to get the job that you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement