Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a newbie cardo vs weights ratio

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hoping somebody might be able to help me as I've read so much conflicting articals. I am currently pretty overweight (5ft 4in almost 14st female 27) and have been working out 3-4 times per week. I do two days cardio on gym machines for about 50mins and then the other 1/2 days I do 10mins cardio warm up and then 9 different weights machines in the gym in 3 sets x 12 reps.

My query is should I just focus on the cardio at the min to try lose as much fat as possible? Then bring back in the weights in say 2 months?

All help appreciated as total novice at the gym :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Seeing as your goal is weight loss, why not do cardio and weights each session? I strongly recommend you to do both as together they are most effective. Also, wherever you can, stick to free weights (dumbells and barbells) as it's more natural movements and you'll make use of your stabilizers too. Also you don't HAVE to stick to 3x12 for each exercise. Mixing it up will keep things fresh. Don't be afraid to go high weight low reps one day and the opposite the next, just focus on making some strength progression over time.

As an example of a plan, you could do a few mins warm up, 40mins of weights and then the rest cardio. Have a look at HIIT training too, seems like the most effective type of cardio, so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LauraM87

Thanks for the advice will def take it on board. I train 3/4 days in a row so was told to do my weights every other day to rest my muscles - not sure how necessary that is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

LauraM87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice will def take it on board. I train 3/4 days in a row so was told to do my weights every other day to rest my muscles - not sure how necessary that is

If you could space out your sessions during the week that'd be better. If not, then train weights ever 2nd day then, or do an Upper Body/Lower Body split. Do whatever fits you best, if you still feel sore one day, then stick to the cardio if you want. Just be consistent and work with some intensity, focus on your diet and you'll see results. Doesn't matter what regimen you're on, if you're not in a caloric deficit, you won't lose weight.

Advertisement