Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this harassment?

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi guys writing this on behalf of my sister, she is working in a creche the last year and since working her manager and the owner keeps giving out to her telling her not to wear make up go clean it off, not to use the bathroom unless she asks first, not to wear pants like jeans or leggings as it shows off her figure too much,and she cuts her hour break short by only letting her off for twenty minutes before calling her back and yshe was out friday sick and the owner asked infront of other workers and childrens parents why wasn't she in.

She rang friday and explained , my sister keeps coming home really upset everyday from her, the owner also has her daughter working there and she wears heavy make up short tops skirts and is allowed have her phone constantly on her

i keep telling her to find a new job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Doesn't sound liek a nice place to work but her creche, her rules.
    She should dress more professionally and not wear so much makeup. There's a reason why she might have to ask to go to the toilet (kids can't be left unattended)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

tenifan wrote: »
    Doesn't sound liek a nice place to work but her creche, her rules.
    She should dress more professionally and not wear so much makeup. There's a reason why she might have to ask to go to the toilet (kids can't be left unattended)

She was told to wear those clothes at the start? She asks when there is another worker there with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH if your sister is coming home upset from Work every day then she should start looking for a job elsewhere in earnest. No job is worth that kind of grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and she cuts her hour break short by only letting her off for twenty minutes before calling her back

this might be a breach of employment law

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi guys writing this on behalf of my sister, she is working in a creche the last year and since working her manager and the owner keeps giving out to her telling her not to wear make up go clean it off, not to use the bathroom unless she asks first, not to wear pants like jeans or leggings as it shows off her figure too much,and she cuts her hour break short by only letting her off for twenty minutes before calling her back and yshe was out friday sick and the owner asked infront of other workers and childrens parents why wasn't she in.

She rang friday and explained , my sister keeps coming home really upset everyday from her, the owner also has her daughter working there and she wears heavy make up short tops skirts and is allowed have her phone constantly on her

i keep telling her to find a new job

Sound advice. Life is too short to be feeling unhappy every day.

Help her compile , update her Cv and don't leave until she has a new job sorted:)

• Advertisement

Hi update her boss grabbed her today by the shoulders started pulling down her top in front of the children's parents and started shouting at her for wearing mascara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Hi update her boss grabbed her today by the shoulders started pulling down her top in front of the children's parents and started shouting at her for wearing mascara

Not sure what "pulling down her top" entails.

Not sure why your sister feels the need to wear mascara, especially after getting several warnings for caking on the makeup.

She doesn't cake it on but she does have autism so she has be told things a few times to get it into her head

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someone with autism, who has to be told things a few times to understand them, is allowed to work with vulnerable people??? I'd say that goes well beyond reasonable accommodation .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Obviously the autism is a factor but depending on where she is on the scale is also a factor.

However, assault as it sounds like, is not justifiable under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

From speaking to a good few childcare workers. It is one of the most under paid jobs and the way I have heard about people been spoken to by managers. A girls father died and the manger was ringing her up to find out when she would be back the same day.

Best thing to do is to find a new job and to anyone thinking of going into childcare keep away from it with with a 10 meter stick.

Thank you for the replies I never knew how bad childcare workers get treated she is quitting anyways gave her notice awhile ago, her autism only affects her routine wise working with vunerables as you quoted Mrs o bumble does not make her dangerous or anything she is great with kids just a sensitive soul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It could have an impact hagoonbear if she needs to be told things several times before she can process the information eg Julie is allergic to nuts, Johnny needs to be given antibiotics today etc.

She may need to explore other career options.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Would she consider working as an SNA hagoonabear? She could be looking at relief work for a while, but more and more schools are starting classes for children with autism, and she could be very well placed to understand the needs of the children.

Advertisement