Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

illegal irish

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Do many of ye know many Irish living illegal in the states. Do they find that they are looking over there shoulder a lot in case they are deported back to ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

cena wrote: »
    Do many of ye know many Irish living illegal in the states. Do they find that they are looking over there shoulder a lot in case they are deported back to ireland

Yes, we know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

duckcfc wrote: »
    Yes, we know

We know what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

As long as they obey all the traffic rules, don't need healthcare, don't go to Arizona and don't need to leave the country for any reason whatsoever....they will be fine

I know of one, back east. He was a friend of a friend and ended up trying to get a kickstarter campaign to fund his treatment for a broken leg.

As long as they obey all the traffic rules, don't need healthcare, don't go to Arizona and don't need to leave the country for any reason whatsoever....they will be fine

I know of one, back east. He was a friend of a friend and ended up trying to get a kickstarter campaign to fund his treatment for a broken leg.
    What's wrong with Arizona? Hardly worth not having healthcare with the price of medical bills in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Things changed completely after 9/11. It used to be that whether you were legal or not was the INS' problem and nobody else's. When I came here in the mid-90's I worked for a guy from Mayo who had originally come over here illegally. He had health insurance, owned his painting/redecorating business, with employees, vans and insurance. Filed tax returns for himself and the business, owned cars, a house, had his daughter in school, his wife working for a major department store chain. All while illegal. Very little of that would be remotely feasible today.

• Advertisement

Gandhi wrote: »
    Things changed completely after 9/11. It used to be that whether you were legal or not was the INS' problem and nobody else's. When I came here in the mid-90's I worked for a guy from Mayo who had originally come over here illegally. He had health insurance, owned his painting/redecorating business, with employees, vans and insurance. Filed tax returns for himself and the business, owned cars, a house, had his daughter in school, his wife working for a major department store chain. All while illegal. Very little of that would be remotely feasible today.

Petty it isn't easy these days

What's wrong with Arizona? Hardly worth not having healthcare with the price of medical bills in the states

In Arizona any officer, whether it is police or immigration has the right to demand ID to check your eligibility to be in the country when they have reason to suspect you.

I was in Tucson recently for work, and was stopped at a ICE roadcheck twice on a Saturday driving home from visiting friends on the American side of the US/Mexico border in Nogales. This was about 10 miles north of Nogales and again about 20 miles south of Tucson.
    At one, I showed my passport with my visa and up to date entry stamp and was on my way in less than 30 seconds. The next time I was pulled over, interrogated and let go after they made some other checks.

Petty it isn't easy these days

yeah it's a pity that a country has made it harder for people to break their laws.

it's a pity that people from other countries are forced to go through hoops in order to live legally in a place.

yeah it's a pity that a country has made it harder for people to break their laws.

it's a pity that people from other countries are forced to go through hoops in order to live legally in a place.

I'm not on about breaking the law to stay. It seemed easier before 9/11 to sort of stay illegal.

I am sure people have found loop holes in the system to they can stay.
    I would give my right arm to be able to stay pass the 3 month holiday visa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Not true. Any decent job that offers insurance will make healthcare pretty affordably. I paid a lot more in France (in PRSI which funded health) than in the US.

Though insurance isn't an option when you're illegal.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Not true. Any decent job that offers insurance will make healthcare pretty affordably. I paid a lot more in France (in PRSI which funded health) than in the US.

Though insurance isn't an option when you're illegal.

Totally agree with this - have seen it from a couple angles

1. My wife is a doctor, i've seen the matrix that they use to charge patients. It is mind boggling - insured and non insured

2. When she was hospitalized and subsequently miscarried our child, our costs - thanks to our healthcare were minimal (around $500) with our provider picking up the additional 15000 in costs that we were charged. We are lucky in that my company provides 100% healthcare for us (and an amazing package) with an extremely low co-pay.

We're lucky in a lot of ways, but we would be a lot poorer without insurance.

Totally agree with this - have seen it from a couple angles

1. My wife is a doctor, i've seen the matrix that they use to charge patients. It is mind boggling - insured and non insured

2. When she was hospitalized and subsequently miscarried our child, our costs - thanks to our healthcare were minimal (around $500) with our provider picking up the additional 15000 in costs that we were charged. We are lucky in that my company provides 100% healthcare for us (and an amazing package) with an extremely low co-pay.

We're lucky in a lot of ways, but we would be a lot poorer without insurance.
    Mind me asking what you do for a living?

Mind me asking what you do for a living?

I'm an IT Manager for a global pharmaceutical company.

You must be on a good wage. Are they in Ireland too?

You must be on a good wage. Are they in Ireland too?

Salary...by european standards, yes I am on a great salary, but for San Francisco I am comfortable but by no means loaded.

yeah the company are in Ireland - i'm obviously not going to name them - my company sponsors people in on on the L visa category as soon as they meet certain criteria/salary levels

It was a tough road, but after 8 years of busting my arse up the ladder from service desk level 1 (turn things off and on) in different companies and countries, I got to a stage that I could apply for a job that would get me a visa and transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Gandhi wrote: »

I used to work for a guy from near Mayo in NY who was in the same situation as above and this was after 9/11.

Just googled the company and it's still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I'm not on about breaking the law to stay. It seemed easier before 9/11 to sort of stay illegal.

I don't follow you. Staying illegally is breaking the law, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I don't follow you. Staying illegally is breaking the law, right?

people who overstay their visa dont get thrown in jail
    breaking the law- to many cop shows mate!

I know of a lad that moved to the states after a fight in a night club. Parents shipped him off to family that week. He is a tiler by trade. He was living there with no green card etc for years and got married last year or so.

I would have to say only married so he can stay in the states. He has brought herself over a few times and left her with his parents while he is out drinking all day.

ekimiam wrote: »
    people who overstay their visa dont get thrown in jail
    breaking the law- to many cop shows mate!

it is breaking the law - it's a felony to be in the US without proper authorization.

As for being thrown in jail...you're technically correct...as soon as you're caught (when/if it happens) you're kicked out on the next flight, and are usually held in a holding cell until your flight

• Advertisement

you're kicked out on the next flight, and are usually held in a holding cell until your flight

It's actually much worse than that I believe. Paperwork takes time to sort out and you can be held in a detention facility (privately-run prison) until your case is seen by a judge and the deportation order signed. Approx 50% (I'll try to find a cite) of immigrants who are found without a visa are locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

It's actually much worse than that I believe. Paperwork takes time to sort out and you can be held in a detention facility (privately-run prison) until your case is seen by a judge and the deportation order signed. Approx 50% (I'll try to find a cite) of immigrants who are found without a visa are locked up.

I've also herd that 6 month stays are not unheard of due to a backlog of cases. So, basically, internment. In jails.

So is that a bit like on cop shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Almost all the time, if you are willing to leave and pay for your own flight, you can leave immediately. Of course that usually means admitting to the overstay and being banned for an amount of time.
    If you are fighting the deportation or not paying for the flight home then yes, it can take longer as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

silja wrote: »
    Almost all the time, if you are willing to leave and pay for your own flight, you can leave immediately. Of course that usually means admitting to the overstay and being banned for an amount of time.
    If you are fighting the deportation or not paying for the flight home then yes, it can take longer as outlined above.

Yes and if you don't have a valid passport with you then it's custody for several weeks until a travel document is issued. Most Irish deported from the USA will have spent time in custody regardless of the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's wrong with Arizona?

The cops are permitted to ask for your papers if they pull you over ...but that's for Mexicans. Surprisingly, being on the border has lead to a high amount of illegal immigrants in the state and they are trying to bring in tough laws to help curve it. It's very sad but at the same time, it's probably good for any place to be tough on illegal immigrants

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The cops are permitted to ask for your papers if they pull you over ...but that's for Mexicans.

Well technically they can ask anyone that they are suspicious of which if you get a cop on a bad day could be you :)

Well technically they can ask anyone that they are suspicious of which if you get a cop on a bad day could be you :)

Was asked twice in one day. The first stop, he looked at my passport ( which I now don't carry usually when in the US) and let me go in 30 seconds.
    Second stop he had me pull over, asked for all kinds of things that I didn't have in me (work contract etc) and let me go after his superior cleared me.

Was asked twice in one day. The first stop, he looked at my passport ( which I now don't carry usually when in the US) and let me go in 30 seconds.
    Second stop he had me pull over, asked for all kinds of things that I didn't have in me (work contract etc) and let me go after his superior cleared me.

But that's not all that strange. I've been interrogated when driving from Phoenix to San Diego and back and also from Seattle to Vancouver and back.

When going back into Seattle, the guy didn't like my answers and after checking my ID, made me get out of my car and let him get in and check around it and open the boot and all of that. I didn't take it personally though.

And that wasn't even Nogales which is notorious for drug smuggling and it's many, many tunnels...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Wompa1 wrote: »
    But that's not all that strange. I've been interrogated when driving from Phoenix to San Diego and back and also from Seattle to Vancouver and back.

When going back into Seattle, the guy didn't like my answers and after checking my ID, made me get out of my car and let him get in and check around it and open the boot and all of that. I didn't take it personally though.

And that wasn't even Nogales which is notorious for drug smuggling and it's many, many tunnels...

There's kind of a difference between driving across an international border and driving around INSIDE the United States while minding your own business. Arizona's attitude towards Hispanics and people in general is simply disgusting.

• Advertisement

There's kind of a difference between driving across an international border and driving around INSIDE the United States while minding your own business. Arizona's attitude towards Hispanics and people in general is simply disgusting.

I wasn't stopped at the border. They have checkpoints inside Arizona and California close to the border too. Not talking about the actual border crossing part.

Advertisement