Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubble and Fly retrieval technique

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I am wondering how do I retrieve a bubble and fly and I will be using wet flies?Do I reel it in slowly or do I do something else?

Is bubble and fly considered fly fishing?

I have fished in a lake around me and caught a small brown and forgot to set the hook in the other.But that was just leaving the hook out there and I just wanted to know how to properly retrieve it.Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are many YouTube clips that show the technique. It is not considered fly fishing and is usually done using a pole or spinning rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Its a form of fly fishing.

Very popular on the moy for salmon, and effective too.

For trout I would have my doubts, mainly due to presentation, maybe in fast water, but in slow water or loughs the splash of the bubble and the movement / wake of the bubble will surely spook the trout.

Generally its retreived slowly.

On a clam lake you could try casting it out with a few dries attached and leaving it sit (this can work with conventional dryfly) but be prepared for a long wait (to wait for the fish to come back after initial spooking, if they do come back that is)

Personally I beleive a fly rod would be more effective.

Advertisement