Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppys poo is always soft/sloppy

• 15-09-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

He is 4 months old, he gets nuts 3 times a day and nuts with raw steak mince once a day. I was mixing the odd can of fish with his nuts if i was out of meat but the last month its just been the nuts and meat. Sometimes his sh!t is solid but its mostly soft or gooey its hard to explain tbh . Im startin to thnk its the meat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What brand of nuts are you feeding? The meat is a natural product, so shouldnt be causing him any problems, Id look first at the quality and contents of your dry food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They say you're not supposed to mix raw meat and dry food because of the different digestion times...but at the same time I read somewhere that that's a myth(!). Could you be over feeding him - that would upset his tummy and affect his poo? Failing that it could be that the food you're feeding him isn't agreeing with him. There's plenty of food threads to find ideas on a better quality food that might suit him better than GAIN - you've a few open yourself with suggestions from everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What brand of dry food is it?

Also as someone else said you shouldn't mix raw and dry in the one meal as they are digested at different rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Its gain nuts . Ok i wil try giving him the raw meat seperate from now on. I dont think i am over feeding him although sometimes he wont look at his food so maybe?

Ya tk123 i have a thread about dog food alrite but i dont think its the nuts for some reason.

• Advertisement

Try feeding them separately and see how it goes or maybe just try feeding the dry for the moment and leave out the meat altogether and see does it get better.

If it does then it could be the raw meat causing it.

andreac wrote: »
    Try feeding them separately and see how it goes or maybe just try feeding the dry for the moment and leave out the meat altogether and see does it get better.

If it does then it could be the raw meat causing it.

Ya i think i wil stop the raw meat for a few days and see if it helps. If not then it must be the nuts

This is the full ingredients of the gain nuts i feed him

Dried chicken and turkey (min 27%)Rice (min 20%)Wholegrain maze, dehulled oats, poultry fat , maize gluten, sugar beet pulp, fish meal, chicken gravy, egg, linseed, fish oil , sodium chloride, fructooligosaccharides (0.3%)Trucal milk mineral complex, glucosamine hci (300mg/kg), methylsulphonylmethane(300mg/kg MSM).Products from processing of plantsCrude protein 27%Crude oils and fats 14%Crude fibre 2.5%Crude ash 7.9%Calcium 1.5%Phosphorous 1.1%Omega 3 fats 0.8%Omega 6 fats 3.8%

What ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I have the very same issue with my 12 wk old springer spaniel. When I took delivery of him at about 6 weeks his poop was pretty solid. The breeder had him on Red Mills puppy(or RM 27???). When I took him home I had him on Gain and within a week and a half his poop was gone softish or plain sloppy. Tended to be softish but formed in the morning but as the day wore on it got sloppy. He is 12 wks old now and I have since been trying to put this right and nothing has changed much except for a 48hr period he had pure diarrhoea , literally squirting liquid, I starved him for 24 hrs to fix this. I now have him back on the Red Mills puppy and hopefully this will work but I have been told that several things can cause this, the change of food, environment and daily routine. I am going to stick with the red mills puppy and see how he gets on. The problem is he tends to eat anything he finds when we are out walking in the park, deer poop, horse poop, snails at night in the garden and even mushrooms that grow out the back garden so it's kinda impossible to narrow it down. I do of course try and keep an eye on him but he gets the better of me sometimes. I have met lots of other dog owners while out with my pup and most have had similar issues from time to time. I hope I can get it right as I feel for the poor puppy even though it does not seem to affect his spirit at all. Any tips gratefully received.

Maybe it is the gain food seeing as we both use it and both our pups have the same prob?

My pup is the same, tries to eat everything he finds on the ground. I stop him 90% of the time but sometimes im too late

• Advertisement

It could be that the beef mince is too fatty/rich for him too. If you leave that out and find he improves without it maybe try a different protein source like chicken?

tk123 wrote: »
    It could be that the beef mince is too fatty/rich for him too. If you leave that out and find he improves without it maybe try a different protein source like chicken?

Im not goin to use it for few days and see if he improves . I was thinkin of chicken alrite? Like chicken fillets maybe?

You could try chicken fillets or chicken legs - the bones are soft so would be fine for him. If all goes well with the chicken then you could get some from slaney or dogsfirst and save a few €€s! ;)

Whats slaney and dogsfirst? I think my local butcher would do a deal if i bought in bulk . I would cook the chicken tho , wouldnt gve it raw

They're raw food suppliers that you can buy in bulk from. If you're cooking then don't give any cuts with bones - raw bones are fine but cooked will splinter. It'll cost you a fortune though if you're feeding him fillets from the butchers. Maybe buy a whole chicken or trays of legs to cook and strip the meat off the bones? Why cook the chicken though if you were happy to feed raw beef?

I read somewhere that dogs can get samenela from raw chicken and eggs?

Raw chicken and eggs are fine. Obviously you need to handle and store it like you would if you were going to eat it yourself. So don't leave it sitting out, don't refreeze unless it was defrosted in the fridge etc etc

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Whats slaney and dogsfirst? I think my local butcher would do a deal if i bought in bulk . I would cook the chicken tho , wouldnt gve it raw

Dont give cooked bones to dogs!! You can feed raw, its perfectly safe and very good for them. Dont ever give cooked bones to dogs.

Dont give cooked bones to dogs!! You can feed raw, its perfectly safe and very good for them. Dont ever give cooked bones to dogs.

I dont give him any bones

tk123 wrote: »
    Raw chicken and eggs are fine. Obviously you need to handle and store it like you would if you were going to eat it yourself. So don't leave it sitting out, don't refreeze unless it was defrosted in the fridge etc etc

So raw chick fillets 100% ok ? Is it better raw than cooked

• Advertisement

I dont give him any bones

Raw bones are actually very good for them. You can feed chicken wings, drumsticks etc raw. You will be broke feeding chicken fillets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Raw bones are actually very good for them. You can feed chicken wings, drumsticks etc raw. You will be broke feeding chicken fillets.

Be careful with chicken wings especially if it's a larger breed dog or a dog that gulps its food. I have an alsation cross and a jack russel, the smaller gets wings but I wouldn't give to the Alsation (she gets legs) in case she tries swallowing without chewing properly and they get stuck in her mouth/throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

So raw chick fillets 100% ok ? Is it better raw than cooked

Either raw or cooked is fine, it can be a personal preference really but as mentioned, raw bones are good for your dog -they clean their teeth for one. Raw is also a lot easier to feed, if you cook it you have to pull off the meat and discard the bones, fillets obviously dont fall into this category. I found mine were putting on weight when the chicken was cooked when fed the same quantity as they were raw so be careful of that too.

I'm sure you know but always introduce a new food gradually - increasing the amount of the new while reducing the amount of the old over a few days.

Thanks for all the comments. He is just gettin dry nuts for the next few days and if the poo is stil the same its obviously not the mince doing it to him. Il look into changing to some kind of chicken if it is the mince causing it.

Ok so for the last week he has been getting dry nuts only, it improved but its still not right . If he had to hold it for 2 long would it cause it to b soft?

No, that shouldnt make it soft.

If he has only been on the nuts then its obv the nuts that are causing it. So maybe its time to try out a different one.

When you say hold it for too long, how long are you talking about? How old is the pup now?

It has improved alot tho since i just gave him nuts, ah nt lng realy , maybe hes alone 4 2 hours max sumtimes. He is just over 4 months nw

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rottie 11, would you mind not using text speak when you're posting, as it makes it difficult for others to read.
    Thanks.
    DBB

With mod hat off, I have a German Shep whose poop becomes soft if she gets very wound up before a walk, it's fine at all other times. I don't know if this might apply to your dog, but if not, and his poops are still a bit runny, then there's a problem with the food, or his response to the food.

Sorry about the text typing. Ya its probably the nuts, i will have a look in petmania later for new nuts

• Advertisement

Sorry about the text typing. Ya its probably the nuts, i will have a look in petmania later for new nuts

Try and go for the best you can afford and as much meat in it as possible. Stay away from anything that has grain or derivitives as the first or main ingredient.

Advertisement