Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppys poo is always soft/sloppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

andreac wrote: »
    Try and go for the best you can afford and as much meat in it as possible. Stay away from anything that has grain or derivitives as the first or main ingredient.

Ok thanks. But should i give him another few days on these nuts as there was a big improvement since i took him off the meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Ok thanks. But should i give him another few days on these nuts as there was a big improvement since i took him off the meat?

How long has he been on just nuts? If you are certain that hes improving a lot then you could give him another few days but i wouldnt leave it too much longer.

How long has he been on just nuts? If you are certain that hes improving a lot then you could give him another few days but i wouldnt leave it too much longer.

Its been 7 or 8 days, it is improving but sometimes i noticed that the first half of his poo is solid and then turns soft all of a sudden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

if your puppy is on ONLY nuts, and he's got very soft stools, it would suggest that the nuts you are feeding him are not agreeing with him... If he were mine, I would be looking at buying a small bag of the best quality nuts you can afford (endless discussions on the topic here), and try him on those (after introducing the new feed slowly/carefully and giving him time on them to assess his reaction)

It may be that your puppy has a sensitivity which is another discussion. Im an advocate of home-cooked myself (others on here are raw fed fans - pro's and con's to both) an alternative to commercial kibbles, and worth trying - boil veg, meat or fish, potatos or brown rice in a big pot enough for a few days - again introduced slowly and give him time to see if it improves matters.

If he does have a sensitivity things wont change overnight, so patience and more patience to find what suits him will be in order. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You may also simply be overfeeding him, which could indicate why his poos have hardened up a bit by taking the meat out. Are you going by the guidelines on the packet? Remember that they are only guidelines, each dog is different.

• Advertisement

Im goin to give him another few days before i change food, thinking about burns, fairly expenisive tho . Not sure if i can afford it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Im goin to give him another few days before i change food, thinking about burns, fairly expenisive tho . Not sure if i can afford it
    Don't go for Burns; it's overpriced if you look what goes into it.
    Contains:
    Chicken Meal (30%), Brown Rice (21%), White Rice (21%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Vitamins & Minerals.
    That's 42% rice at 4 EUR per kilo; compared to 4.72 EUR per kilo for Taste of the Wild containing this (which you'd also feed less of due to higher quality):
    Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, pea protein, rapeseed oil, tomato pomace, smoked salmon, salmon meal, natural flavour, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E), dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, tomatoes, blueberries,...

Or Markus Muhle Black Angus Junior at 3.60 EUR per kilo
    Ground dried Black Angus meat (20.2%), ground brown wholegrain rice, ground dried duck meat (9.1%), ground wholegrain corn, ground dried herring (5.6%), ground millet, ground amaranth, fresh green herbs, linseed, dried algae mix, herring oil, cold pressed vegetable oil mix, beet pulp, gelatine, dry peat (2%), dried ground yucca schidigera, fennel seeds, dried blueberries, powdered egg yolk, siliceous earth (1.5%), muscle meat extract from green-lipped mussels (1.5%), green mineral soil (1.5%), sea mollusc protein from green-lipped mussels (1%).

Or Nutrivet Instinct and growth (4.33 EUR per kilo):
    Chicken (min. 30%), lamb (min. 11%), turkey (min. 10%), potatoes, peas, chicken oil and fat (min. 9%), dried salmon (min. 5%), whole eggs (min. 4%), dried chicken meat (min. 4%), dried lamb (min. 4%), dried pea protein, salmon oil (min. 3%), beet pulp, green beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes,...

Making sure your puppy eats correctly and grow properly is going to make a huge difference for the life of the dog; it's an investment that will pay itself back over the dog's life in vet bills and what not so don't skimp on doing it correctly.

Forgot to add; all price comparisons done based on Zooplus.ie and 12/15kg bags.

Maybe taste of the wild so? My gf brother uses it on his husky , how long does delivery take from zooplus?

Cut down his food today and i must say it did him good, all solid poop all day. Maybe i was overfeeding him? He vomited while ago tho? not sure why but hes im good form anyway.

Cut down his food today and i must say it did him good, all solid poop all day. Maybe i was overfeeding him? He vomited while ago tho? not sure why but hes im good form anyway.

Yep, most times pups with diarrohea is caused by overfeeding. When was the last time you fed him? When their stomachs are empty, it can actually make them vomit, but it tends to be just bile.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yep, most times pups with diarrohea is caused by overfeeding. When was the last time you fed him? When their stomachs are empty, it can actually make them vomit, but it tends to be just bile.

I fed him just before 9, the vomit was his nuts all mushed up and when i brought him out to toilet there it was soft again. Im changing his food anyway cos its not fair on him

Have you had him checked over at the vets?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Have you had him checked over at the vets?

No not yet , will be bringin him down early next week hopefully. My vet is kinda weird thou , like he kinda brushes things off sayin its normal etc. Will bring him down anyway and see what he says

Hes been on black angus now for 2 weeks, just the nuts and its stil the same . Im worried now , time for the vet i tink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You should try giving her probiotics, not the human ones they dont have the correct ingredients for dog, but a dog one. I swear by Pet Dophulis by Jarrow which you can buy from iherb online, if you order by courier you'll have them in a few days at a cost under 20 euro. Its a powder you can mix into a small bit of wet food or something similar. I use this one for my dog who has a sensitive tummy and its absolutely brilliant, its certainly worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

one of my springers a few years back she was nearly 22 weeks at the time and had an issue just like yours

my vet advised a week of a probiotic type paste given 2 times daily as he said some dogs can take a while for their digestive systems to kick in but usually not at her age it seemed to work with her

but then again if your vet is not attentive enough to your concerns get a second opinion

high protein levels from the wrong source can play havoc with some dogs stomachs

Ya maybe will look into them probiotic things. He isnt getting any protein bar whats in the nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ya maybe will look into them probiotic things. He isnt getting any protein bar whats in the nuts

Are you feeding him anything else at all apart from the nuts? Milk etc?

Are you feeding him anything else at all apart from the nuts? Milk etc?

Nope nothing atal only the nuts.

He doesnt eat them either sometimes. Was thinking would it be better to feed bigger meals twice a day rather than smaller one 3 times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

According to your post here you got the MM on the 10th so 12 days ago. That's not long enough (imo) to switch a dog over gradually - did you mix the old food in or just do a straight swap? You should be gradually switching over 2-3 weeks.

If it was me I'd either feed chicken/fish (tesco do frozen value white fish fillets for cheap enough) and rice/potato or if you're lazy :P a wet food like NatureDiet or RC Sensitivity/Hills I/d which you can get from your vet* and get him to the stage where the poos are ok. Once they're fine SLOWLY start adding the new food in over 2-3 weeks. Start with small amounts often and if he's ok with that then you can think about 2 larger meals.

+1 for the Jarrow probiotics. I use them too from time to time and find them brilliant.
    http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-2-5-oz-70-5-g-Powder/4295#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=jarrow%20pet&rc=1&sr=null&ic=1

Or you can get the paste online
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/vetuk-clinical-nutriments-c-1392_1404_1396/vetuk-probiotic-kolin-paste-p-20356

*Be prepared when you go to the vet - they'll probably just push their Hills/RC prescription foods - they're very expensive though. I think my friend pays over €80 for a bag of the RC stuff and the dog's poo is still terrible and smells terrible.

Agree with tk123, you could also try Rocco tinned from zooplus, if you buy in bulk from zooplus.de its pretty reasonable even for a big dog. It was the Rocco food and probiotics that sorted out my dogs tummy, I still give her probiotics a few times a week on a permanent basis to maintain her gut health. Over the years her tummy got stronger and I alternate a few different varieties of zooplus wet food now, but Rocco, which is grain free, was her only food for a long time while her tummy strengthened up.

I only mixed the old food for 3day then i ran out , 70% of his poops are solid but stil gets the bad ones . He got it bad this morning so kinda freaked out, il give it another week and see , i must order more nuts tomorow but it could be a waste of money if these nuts arent agreeing with him .

What actualy are probiotics thou , like are they for diherea just of what?

Probiotics will restore the balance of bacteria in the gut, you have good bacteria and bad bacteria present, when there is too much bad bacteria present symptoms can include diarrhoea, excess wind and stomach cramps. So yes, if the dogs problem is a bacteria imbalance it should really help to get his poos back to normal.

edit to add; its the probiotics that provide the good bacteria, just to be clear in case I waffled there!

maggiepip wrote: »
    Probiotics will restore the balance of bacteria in the gut, you have good bacteria and bad bacteria present, when there is too much bad bacteria present symptoms can include diarrhoea, excess wind and stomach cramps. So yes, if the dogs problem is a bacteria imbalance it should really help to get his poos back to normal.

edit to add; its the probiotics that provide the good bacteria, just to be clear in case I waffled there!

Thanks for information, he didnt eat much today and seems very down and sick . Fairly worried bout him

If hes losing his appetite and seems sick you should take him to the vet.

maggiepip wrote: »
    If hes losing his appetite and seems sick you should take him to the vet.

Ya i will tomoro , his poop lookd dark green tonite. Hope he is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

You could phone the UCD emergency clinic for advice.

Their contact details are at Out of hours emergency vet clinic and while I appreciate that you may not be in Dublin and able to whisk your dog to their premises for treatment, their expertise may help you get your dog through the night and to the vet's clinic in the morning or help you decide to pressure your own vet for a home visit. Either way, I'd be texting your boss/employees tonight to advise that you'll be absent for a bit tomorrow AM. I hope it all works out for you and the pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dubl07 wrote: »
    You could phone the UCD emergency clinic for advice.

Their contact details are at Out of hours emergency vet clinic and while I appreciate that you may not be in Dublin and able to whisk your dog to their premises for treatment, their expertise may help you get your dog through the night and to the vet's clinic in the morning or help you decide to pressure your own vet for a home visit. Either way, I'd be texting your boss/employees tonight to advise that you'll be absent for a bit tomorrow AM. I hope it all works out for you and the pup.

Get him thru the night?! It sounds like he has an upset tummy - an inexpereinced owner reading your post would be thinking the poor dog is about to drop dead(!)

I'd skip one meal and start on chicken and rice/potato with some natural yoghurt mixed in - a few tablespoons of the mix every few hours. If there's no improvement in 24 hours then I'd be thinking of going to the vets. My dog had sloppy green poo this morning - I'm not calling work or asking the vet to come over because she's like that from eating the cut grass and muck in the park yesterday. >_<

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments lads but ive got a bigger problem with him now. Theres a problem with his leg . My familys rotweiler had to be down last xmas as she was carryin a tumor for the last 2 years of her life and she had a lame leg for 5 or 6 year that couldnt be fixed. I cant go threw that again watching my puppy being hurt . Starting to think there must be problems with rotties bones/joints. I know their hips can be weak but i dont know realy. He is going to the vet at 6, he only opens 6-7 as hes a farm vet by day

Advertisement