Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppys poo is always soft/sloppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thing is with insurance. If you don't get them done straight away, once you insure them, anything they already suffered with won't be covered as it's pre existing condition. So all this stuff he has won't be covered on the policy.

I really would urge you to get him insured asap but it won't make any difference for these recent issues as they won't be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Just my tuppence worth:

Rickets is a defiency in calcium/vitamin D

You have been feeding him balanced dry food, it seems strange that a dog could develop rickets when on a commercially viable food.

As Andreac said, Dogs are Lactose intolerant - they cant digest lactose, the sugar in milk - so giving him milk every day is not going to be good, especially when he has tummy/bowel issue

Calcium injections are usually the prescribed thing with Rickets arent they? At the very least there are calcium pills.

I would also recommend you get your puppy to the small animal vet you mentioned in Killarney. Maybe phone them up and see if they will do some sort of payment plan?

In the meantime, mind yourself, dont let your head get too wrecked - your puppy will be sorted soon hopefully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've only ever seen rickets in dogs that came from really poor breeders op, sorry:(
    I'm no expert in it, but I *think* rickets can be due to the nutrition the pup got much earlier in life, not just what he's feeding on now.
    Assuming the vet's diagnosis is right (and I would much prefer a 2nd opinion on this), I'm also pretty sure that if you're going to supplement with calcium, you also need to supplement with Vitamin D, as the calcium won't be absorbed properly otherwise.
    I would also have grave reservations about your vet advising to give your puppy milk. It's bound to make matters worse int he tummy department, and if he's not digesting the milk properly, he won't be getting any calcium from it either.
    If you want to get calcium into him, I'd suggest feeding him those raw bones you were asking about recently. As well as supplementing with Vit D, which is cheap and easy to get.
    But most of all, I cannot emphasise enough to you to get him to a small-animal vet asap to get a definitive diagnosis. If his bones are weak, and he has a fall and breaks a bone, he's not going to heal... if this diagnosis of rickets is correct. Rickets in a large-breed dog, and especially a breed known to develop problems with their bones as Rotties are, is a bloody serious diagnosis, and needs to be addressed yesterday.
    Seriously OP, unless your large-animal vet also happens to be a small-animal vet (and very few of them are), other than getting the most basic of stuff done with your pet, you're wasting your money going to them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Hes getting no milk anyway. Il get the calcium tabs , and the tabs he gave me i think their vitiman tabs , they are big round ones with 100 on them and norbrook on the pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't waste your money on calcium tablets until you've had a second opinion. Bring the tablets the other vet gave you with you so they can see what's already been given.

Is there nothing else on the packet? Norbrook make a lot of vet. products so impossible to tell what you have from what you've told us. Did you not ask him what they were?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

All care vets in Killarney are very good tel 064 663733 and so are the Ark Clinic.

Not sure where you a based but would Macroom be any closer to you?

Macrom is further. Do you know anything about the vet in abbeyfeale? Hes meanj to be decent . I never asked him what the tablets were but heres a pic

Norbrook make lots of things. There should be the name of the drug and the dosage on a label on the pack? Have a look and see what they say.

You really need to get this dog looked at by a proper vet who knows what they are talking about. It seems you are being fobbed off to be honest with this other vet.

Those are just anti inflammatories. Is that all the medication hes on?

How old is your dog again?

• Advertisement

He got an injection and just those tablets , he was 5 months on the 17th of this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

rottie 11 wrote: »
    He got an injection and just those tablets , he was 5 months on the 17th of this month

Just to add to your stress (sorry) anti-inflams can upset their tummies so if he gets any worse in that dept hold off on the medication. I've only have it happen once and not with that type though but make sure you give them with food.

What's the pup's name btw? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Rottie you really need to get him to a decent vet. I know little about rickets but I'm sure theres more to the diagnoses of it than a visual inspection, did the vet not say he was going to run tests or x rays? how or who is supposed to be monitoring him? why didn't your vet mention vitamin D? whats the plan? Are his tummy issues contributing to this diagnosis, if he really does have rickets that is. To seemingly be sent off home with a few painkillers and an instruction to give the dog milk (which of course dogs shouldn't have) seems outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

theres a vet in knocknagoshel john p o connor the greyhound clinic ive heard great things about him

might be worth a call just for peace of mind

tk123 wrote: »
    Just to add to your stress (sorry) anti-inflams can upset their tummies so if he gets any worse in that dept hold off on the medication. I've only have it happen once and not with that type though but make sure you give them with food

What's the pup's name btw? :)

Thanks for that ha . His name is bruno:) here is a pic from about a month ago

maggiepip wrote: »
    Rottie you really need to get him to a decent vet. I know little about rickets but I'm sure theres more to the diagnoses of it than a visual inspection, did the vet not say he was going to run tests or x rays? how or who is supposed to be monitoring him? why didn't your vet mention vitamin D? whats the plan? Are his tummy issues contributing to this diagnosis, if he really does have rickets that is. To seemingly be sent off home with a few painkillers and an instruction to give the dog milk (which of course dogs shouldn't have) seems outrageous.

I had my doubts about that vet. He knows the family fairly well so il keep going to him for small things , worm tabs etc. He neutered all our dogs over the years with no problems and he did my gfs king charles a month ago so i trust him with that , bruno wil be done in a few months. Il find a better vet for this problem.

jimf wrote: »
    theres a vet in knocknagoshel john p o connor the greyhound clinic ive heard great things about him

might be worth a call just for peace of mind

Might give him a call or else abbeyfeale , i heard great things about him also

Is your dog still lame? To be honest i really doubt its Rickets he has. Unless his legs look deformed badly i highly doubt its that.

Lameness can be a number of things and unless there was a proper diagnosis and tests etc done, theres no way he could be diagnosed with such condition as Rickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Might give him a call or else abbeyfeale , i heard great things about him also

I have no experience of him myself but a friend of mine drives from limerick city to him with his dogs he thinks hes brilliant

bruno wil be done in a few months. .

You shouldn't neuter a large breed pup until they're fully grown because it can cause joint/bone issues. My female pup is going to be spayed in the next week or two - she's 17 months (today lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Macrom is further. Do you know anything about the vet in abbeyfeale? Hes meanj to be decent . I never asked him what the tablets were but heres a pic

Sorry don't know anything about the vet in Abbeyfeale. But if you are that direction what about the vet in Castleisland or surely there is on in Newcastlewest.

Sorry don't know much about either vet but they would, I think, be more familiar with domestic pets.

andreac wrote: »
    Is your dog still lame? To be honest i really doubt its Rickets he has. Unless his legs look deformed badly i highly doubt its that.

Lameness can be a number of things and unless there was a proper diagnosis and tests etc done, theres no way he could be diagnosed with such condition as Rickets.

He was never realy lame sorry i never explained properly. It started of like hed be lying down and hed get up for water and kinda let out a small cry as he was getting up but i taut it was kind of a lazy moan if u get me, then hed jump up on some and kinda let out a small cry but yesterday morn i took him out back and he was bawling crying and holding up 1 leg and after that it started happening more often but he would be perfect in between the times it happened. Has happened since i went to the vet but i noticed somethng strange, i was 99.9% sure it was his right leg and my mother said the same but the vet was doing stuff to that leg like bending it etc and the dog didnt cry and was fine about it but when he did the same to the left leg he screamed the place down?? Must have been the left leg all along but i was convinced otherwise

You shouldn't neuter a large breed pup until they're fully grown because it can cause joint/bone issues. My female pup is going to be spayed in the next week or two - she's 17 months (today lol)

Really ? I was sure 7months was the right age , would a year be ok? Or should i do what your doing with you pup?

Inexile wrote: »
    Sorry don't know anything about the vet in Abbeyfeale. But if you are that direction what about the vet in Castleisland or surely there is on in Newcastlewest.

Sorry don't know much about either vet but they would, I think, be more familiar with domestic pets.

Im kind of in that direction, i would say where i live no prob but i wana protect the vets name if you get me

jimf wrote: »
    I have no experience of him myself but a friend of mine drives from limerick city to him with his dogs he thinks hes brilliant

Ok thanks for that , i have too many options now ha must choose one

i was 99.9% sure it was his right leg and my mother said the same but the vet was doing stuff to that leg like bending it etc and the dog didnt cry and was fine about it but when he did the same to the left leg he screamed the place down?? Must have been the left leg all along but i was convinced otherwise

I've found the same at times so say their right leg is sore so they'll put more weight on the left and look like they're limping or off balance. Poor Bruno!! Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Was it def his front one he was holding up? Is he limping when he walks?

andreac wrote: »
    Was it def his front one he was holding up? Is he limping when he walks?

No hes not limping but his legs look weird like weak or someting , im probly just paranoid tho cos hes flying around no bother to him

I've found the same at times so say their right leg is sore so they'll put more weight on the left and look like they're limping or off balance. Poor Bruno!! Hopefully it's nothing serious.

I know but he was holding up the right leg du know . I hope hes ok aswel, hope the next vet knows better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Really ? I was sure 7months was the right age , would a year be ok? Or should i do what your doing with you pup?

Any good small animal vet should advise you re the risks of castrating male Rottweilers prior to 1 year of age. Male Rotties neutered prior to 1 year of age have a one in four chance of developing osteosarcoma. Way too high a risk for the sake of waiting a few months.

Advertisement