Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppys poo is always soft/sloppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Hes running around and jumping like a lunatic last nite and this morning since he hasnt been getting walked, he seems perfectly fine. Is it possible that it was just a hurt and its gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Hes running around and jumping like a lunatic last nite and this morning since he hasnt been getting walked, he seems perfectly fine. Is it possible that it was just a hurt and its gone now?

yes it is very possible pups have a habit of jumping up and off things which can easily lead to what I could only describe as 48/72 hour ailments and sprains

but with the other tummy issue a trip to a good small animal vet would still be a priority for me remember the saying no price for peace of mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Also remember if he's on anti-inflammatories then he may not be showing he's in pain, I've made that mistake a couple of times!!! So I 'd still definitely take him to the vet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

snoman wrote: »
    Also remember if he's on anti-inflammatories then he may not be showing he's in pain, I've made that mistake a couple of times!!! So I 'd still definitely take him to the vet.

Yes op, your pup is on anti-inflammatory pain killers, of course he'll be in better form! It's a danger when we give animals painkillers that they'll try to do too much... Pain is nature's way of stopping them moving about too much. So you need to try to keep him quiet until his course of painkillers is done.

Will i hold off on the vet until his pain killers are up so? Im not worried bout the stomach issues, his poops are improving all the time.

If i wait until the tablets are up and he is still fine then surely then it was just a hurt?

I want to bring him to vet asap believe me but i literaly cant afford it this week but still afraid. Incase i do more damage to him by not taking him. It tough to calm him down the last few days when he goes on a tear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It should do no harm to wait until he's finished the anti inflammatories to go to different vet. At the moment he's obviously pain free which is good, but do try and stop him jumping around too much to the best of your ability. I would make sure to get that second opinion though, even if he appears better after the course of meds.

maggiepip wrote: »
    It should do no harm to wait until he's finished the anti inflammatories to go to different vet. At the moment he's obviously pain free which is good, but do try and stop him jumping around too much to the best of your ability. I would make sure to get that second opinion though, even if he appears better after the course of meds.

Oh ya im 100% getting 2nd opinion but it wil b next weekend im afraid. Il have to keep him calm until then which wont be easy. Would t b ok for a short walk i wonder

Oh ya im 100% getting 2nd opinion but it wil b next weekend im afraid. Il have to keep him calm until then which wont be easy. Would t b ok for a short walk i wonder

If he's running around the house anyway, like you say, I don't think a short walk on a lead would do any harm either, it might help settle his head and help calm him down, but keep him on the lead. I would be very careful with him though until the next vet visit.

If he's running around the house anyway, like you say, I don't think a short walk on a lead would do any harm either, it might help settle his head and help calm him down, but keep him on the lead. I would be very careful with him though until the next vet visit.

Thats why i wana walk him , to tire him out a bit . He had too much energy last nite and he ate a huge hole in a concreate wall, i couldnt believe it when i saw it

• Advertisement

Thats why i wana walk him , to tire him out a bit . He had too much energy last nite and he ate a huge hole in a concreate wall, i couldnt believe it when i saw it

Oh noooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Making him work for his food could also help tire him out, you can either scatter his kibble around the floor, so he has to 'hunt' for them, or use a treat dispenser type toy. As money is tight, you can make your own, but watch him while he's eating. If you have any old plastic bottles, put a couple of small holes in the bottom (to prevent a vacuum forming), then put the kibble in, leave the lid off, and it will take him a good while to get the kibble back out of the opening. You can also put his kibble inside old toilet paper or kitchen towel rolls, make a few holes (big enough for the kibble to fit through). As I say though, if you do use DIY dispensers, only give them while you are there with the pup, you don't want him swallowing plastic, or too much cardboard.

You can also hide bits of his food, under cushions, bedding etc, again, so that he has to hunt. Mental exercise can be just as tiring as physical.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Making him work for his food could also help tire him out, you can either scatter his kibble around the floor, so he has to 'hunt' for them, or use a treat dispenser type toy. As money is tight, you can make your own, but watch him while he's eating. If you have any old plastic bottles, put a couple of small holes in the bottom (to prevent a vacuum forming), then put the kibble in, leave the lid off, and it will take him a good while to get the kibble back out of the opening. You can also put his kibble inside old toilet paper or kitchen towel rolls, make a few holes (big enough for the kibble to fit through). As I say though, if you do use DIY dispensers, only give them while you are there with the pup, you don't want him swallowing plastic, or too much cardboard.

You can also hide bits of his food, under cushions, bedding etc, again, so that he has to hunt. Mental exercise can be just as tiring as physical.

Thats a great idea thanks . But ive been putting his nuts in water the last few days because he wasnt realy eating them and he eats them nw no bother.

I think i have a rugby ball dog toy that u can puts nuts in and a hole at either end , will gve t a try later :)

Oh noooooo!

Worse again im renting the house :D

Been giving him black angus but he doesnt like it , he barely eats :( any other grain free dog food bar totw?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Orijen
    Acana
    Lukullus
    Lily's Kitchen
    Greenwoods
    James Wellbeloved (at least some; don't know the brand that well)
    Nutro Choice
    Optimanova

Most of these have rice but not maize etc.

Nody wrote: »
    Orijen
    Acana
    Lukullus
    Lily's Kitchen
    Greenwoods
    James Wellbeloved (at least some; don't know the brand that well)
    Nutro Choice
    Optimanova

Most of these have rice but not maize etc.

Thanks. Are they all from zooplus or can they be got in pet stores?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I double checked them all on Zooplus; depending on store I'm sure they may have some of the brands :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Real Nature Wilderness from Maxi Zoo is grain free and has both kibble and wet food. I'd imagine it'd need a second mortgage to keep a Rottie satisfied though, it costs quite a bit. My pup rather likes it but she's only 6kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Would you consider giving him wet food rather than dry? My boys are on Lukullus wet food and they are ravenous for it (I get 24 of the 800g tins), they don't really like dry food. I had them on the dry version but their poos became weird (if it rained they became mushy if it was dry out they'd crumble) their poos are great on the wet stuff though, nice and firm and easy to pick up! They still get hard things to chew on so their teeth are in good shape.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

James Wellbeloved is available in a lot of bigger pet shops, not 100% sure if evcerywhere stocks the cereal-free though, as I buy online all the time.
    I have to say, I'm gobsmacked by how much my fussy little dog likes it... she's seriously fussy. My two big dogs like it so much I can use it for training treats!

Thanks for the replies

I realy like the black angus tbh, his poops improved alot although theres stil the odd bad one. I just got 2 15kg bags of it aswel so wont be changing till after xmas.

If i fed him twice a day rather than 3 times that might help? Like give him 2 325g portions per day rather than 3 216g portions

I used put water in his nuts and he liked it better but id rather not keep doing that?

VonVix wrote: »
    Would you consider giving him wet food rather than dry? My boys are on Lukullus wet food and they are ravenous for it (I get 24 of the 800g tins), they don't really like dry food. I had them on the dry version but their poos became weird (if it rained they became mushy if it was dry out they'd crumble) their poos are great on the wet stuff though, nice and firm and easy to pick up! They still get hard things to chew on so their teeth are in good shape.

Im not a fan of wet food tbh thanks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP where are you based?
    I get the James Wellbeloved in the M7 Business Park Pet Warehouse (Naas/Newbridge) - they also have Arcana and Orijen there. The pet shop opposite Newbridge Silver sells grain free kibble, cant rem the brand right now)
    My very fussy elderly dog would always eat the James Wellbeloved (and turn his nose up at many many others)

Rottie11, if your dog is showing a digestive sensitivity, I would highly recommend feeding him home cooked. I dont know if you have tried this or are not interested in trying it, but my dog who always suffered from digestive sensitivity/problems was like a different dog on home cooked food. Twice a week, I boiled up a pan of chicken, rice and veg in water. The 3 of them thrived on it and really loved it. It cost lest than kibble and certainly much less than wet food.

I have cooked him chicken and rice a few times but the rice comes out whole in his poop. I live in kerry, petmania in tralee would be the closest shop to me and the only grain free nuts they have is wafcol which is way above my budget tbh

OK im ordering new food for him today because he will not eat the black angus. Totw is a bit dear at 63 for 13kg

I was looking at burns sensitive , would that be a good choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OK im ordering new food for him today because he will not eat the black angus. Totw is a bit dear at 63 for 13kg

I was looking at burns sensitive , would that be a good choice?

You could end up feeding more than the feeding guidelines recommend with Burns especially with a young growing dog as most a lot of tend to lose weight on it...so the saving you make compared to TOTW which is much much better food than Burns could be canceled out. If your heart is set on Burns only the pork and potato one is rice free but it contains maize which is a crappy filler.

Andreac has rotties and mentioned in another thread a while back that she's she's feeding one of them one of grain free foods from dogfooddirect - http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/cats/champion-/

If you do change food and still have problems try the Jarrow probiotics recommend to you early on in this thread by myself and others because they're really good..

tk123 wrote: »
    You could end up feeding more than the feeding guidelines recommend with Burns especially with a young growing dog as most a lot of tend to lose weight on it...so the saving you make compared to TOTW which is much much better food than Burns could be canceled out. If your heart is set on Burns only the pork and potato one is rice free but it contains maize which is a crappy filler.

Andreac has rotties and mentioned in another thread a while back that she's she's feeding one of them one of grain free foods from dogfooddirect - http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/cats/champion-/

If you do change food and still have problems try the Jarrow probiotics recommend to you early on in this thread by myself and others because they're really good..

Thanks for the reply tk123

But I went for the totw afterall:-)

SOrry now for being so annoying but have one last question

I got taste of the wild food for my pup and according to the feeding guide he should be getting between 375g - 460g per day. I give him 2 portions of 250g per day but it seems like its nothing to him like i reckon he would eat double that no problem, am i being paranoid or should i feed him a bit more? He really likes the nuts so maybe hes being greedy ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What condition is he in? Does he look ok or skinny or too heavy?

Most dogs would eat until they burst, so it's up to us to control portion sizes.
    Unless the dog needs more weight on or off then I would continue with the portions you are giving him.

Advertisement