Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number - Proof of address

Options
  • 15-09-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello everyone! I hope this is the right place for this!

I'll hopefully be moving to dublin in the coming weeks to work. I won't have a place of my own right away, although I hope to secure a room to rent quickly! I'll want to get a PPS as soon as possible for obvious reasons; however, the proof of address thing could be an issue.

I heard your employer can write a letter stating you're new to the country can vouch for you? I know this will work for opening a bank account, or so I've been told, but what about a PPS number?

If not if I sign a lease/tenancy agreement will that be sufficient!?

Any tips and or suggestions for getting the ball rolling quick!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nb20 wrote: »
    I heard your employer can write a letter stating you're new to the country can vouch for you? I know this will work for opening a bank account, or so I've been told, but what about a PPS number?
    Any tips and or suggestions for getting the ball rolling quick!!

Nope - they still want a residential address to send the issued PPS number to.

You could try to sign a lease somewhere very quickly instead - but this will only work if you can find somewhere. Rentals in Dublin are very tight, and if you're in a hurry to sign, you may get a dreadful kip of a place.

What most people do is book into a backpacker hostel etc for long enough that the hostel's policies let the issue a letter saying you live there. I think it's about three weeks, but do ask them.

Getting the number takes a few weeks. But it's not that bad an issue. Emergency tax is low for the first few weeks of work, raising to approx 50% by week nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nb20

Thanks Mrs OBumble! I won't be staying at a hostel/hotel long. I'm just looking to rent a room on a short term basis at first!

So I can start work right away, although I'll get hit with a emergency tax? I guess once I get my PPS card they should sort it out and one paycheque should be bigger!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nb20 wrote: »
    Thanks Mrs OBumble! I won't be staying at a hostel/hotel long. I'm just looking to rent a room on a short term basis at first!

So I can start work right away, although I'll get hit with a emergency tax? I guess once I get my PPS card they should sort it out and one paycheque should be bigger!?

Correct. It's quite legal to work in Ireland before getting the number.

If you're moving to Dublin, don't under-estimate how difficult it is to find accommodation there, especially at this time of year. Ironically for a country that built too many houses (in the wrong places!) we have a "housing crisis" in the big cities at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Someone staying at my house had this problem. I went with them to PPS office and showed them my ESB Bill and ID and they got their PPS number.

Can you stay with someone who will do this for you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nb20

Unfortunately not Nomis! I think I'll just have to wait! Thanks for the info everyone! boards.ie has been very helpful and useful thus far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement