Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ's New Irish-language News Service

• 15-09-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

More of my tv licence money gone....is TG4 not enough?

15 Sept 2014: Today heralds a new era for Irish-language news in RTÉ, with the advent of a comprehensive online news service in Irish for the first time, and a restructured news service on radio, which will see all bulletins as Gaeilge delivered from RTÉ

From Monday 15 September the RTÉ.ie news website, and the RTÉ News Now App, will feature national, international and regional news in Irish for the first time. A joint initiative between Nuacht RTÉ and the RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta newsrooms, online operations will be based in Nuacht RTÉ’s centre in Baile na hAbhann, Connemara, with content produced by both Nuacht RTÉ and RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta journalists. The new online news as Gaeilge will be live from mid-morning on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

More state support for a rarely used language.

I can't see it being popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

If they were actually teaching through these services there would be at least justification.

You constantly want us to learn Irish .... well try fvcking putting some lessons on.
    Make it 50% lessons. Nobody fvcking knows whats being said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

If they were actually teaching through these services there would be at least justification.

You constantly want us to learn Irish .... well try fvcking putting some lessons on.
    Make it 50% lessons. Nobody fvcking knows whats being said.

Actually lessons wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Get this man into government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Nobody fvcking knows whats being said.
    I do, and I am not nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    More of my tv licence money gone....is TG4 not enough?

Better they spend it on this than on importing tacky american shows you can just download

Did the Irish government not try to help hasten the death of the Irish language during the troubles to take away some of the cause of the nationalist rebels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Better than spending it on Saturday Night with Miriam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Go hiontach ar fad. Fair play RTÉ.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apparently tg4 have a 3% share of the market.

While it might be admirable they're improving the offerings available to the Irish speaking minority, there is probably more than 3% of us who want to see rte experimenting with making the occasional watchable TV show. Just the odd time like.

Just give it a try.

• Advertisement

While it might be admirable they're improving the offerings available to the Irish speaking minority, there is probably more than 3% of us who want to see rte experimenting with making the occasional watchable TV show. Just the odd time like.

Just give it a try.

If that 3% figure is accurate, it's more or less in line with the share of the TV licence money. Less than 5% goes to TG4.

Is that 3% share of the total market, including channels like TV3, Sky, BBC etc. which don't get a share of the Irish TV licence? Or is it just channels which do get a share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I do, and I am not nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

This is great. Now if only a decent percentage of the country could understand it, never mind use RTE for their source of news. Cant wait until I have to help fund this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    If that 3% figure is accurate, it's more or less in line with the share of the TV licence money. Less than 5% goes to TG4.

Is that 3% share of the total market, including channels like TV3, Sky, BBC etc. which don't get a share of the Irish TV licence? Or is it just channels which do get a share?

It's actually 2% of the total market according to them.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/background.html

And around the same from Nielsen but Nielsen breaks them up demographically more.

http://www.agbnielsen.com/Uploads/Ireland/TVCONSUMPTIONREPORT2013.pdf

Tiny market share with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I would resent even 2% of my licence fee being used on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes, yes, yes… but where is my rte 1 hd on sky, goddamnit!! :mad:

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes… but where is my rte 1 hd on sky, goddamnit!! :mad:

Get your priorities right! There is huge demand for Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

But Irish sounds better in HD! :pac:

Personally, I think that they would be better off looking at how S4C ( the Welsh language channel) operates. Dubbing some English language shows into Irish and optional (rather than hardcoded) subtitles, with the current digital service it should be easy to do technically, also Irish subtitles for the English (or other) language shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If there is huge demand then no need for government grants. With such huge demand the station will be easily commercially viable.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If there is huge demand then no need for government grants. With such huge demand the station will be easily commercially viable.

I was being sarcastic

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I was being sarcastic :)

It's actually 2% of the total market according to them.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/background.html

And around the same from Nielsen but Nielsen breaks them up demographically more.

http://www.agbnielsen.com/Uploads/Ireland/TVCONSUMPTIONREPORT2013.pdf

Tiny market share with kids.

2% of the overall market ain't too bad, given they're working off peanuts compared to RTÉ. They produce some high quality documentaries and overall it's a decent channel.

If all the haters on boards got their way Ireland would be as bland as a pack of cheap generic instant noodles without the Monosodium Glutamate and no flavouring sachet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But you are forgetting Irish is the first and official language of the state, according to the constitution. We must encourage people to speak our national language. Its funny trying to explain why we learn Irish to non-nationals. They cant understand why we are told we need to learn Irish, as its part of our culture. When even my grandparents cant remember anyone in their family speaking it on a daily bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I would happily start paying a license fee if a portion of it were used for the extermination of the Irish language.
    The wasted school hours regained could be spent teaching the kids Latin. At least a few books and poems of quality were written in that equally dead language.
    A radical idea, one that would be really upsetting to the gaelsquads would be to teach the little ones Chinese. Starting early is the only way to pick up the next big language of trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Our (the people of ireland as a whole) relationship with the Irish language is completely bizarre. It is mandatory for us to learn it but only a handful of us can speak more than a few sentences. People claim to cherish it and think its "important" but make no personal effort to use it.

For us to grow as a nation I think we've got to get to grips for our native tongue. Why the weird relationship? Is it a guilt thing? Is it like the elderly relative we profess to love but never visit more than twice a year and are too guilt ridden to put in a nursing home? We do love guilt and shame in this country.

Post colonial hang up?

Imagine learning a subject for 14 years and having virtually no clue about it or use for it afterwards. Wft?

hfallada wrote: »
    But you are forgetting Irish is the first and official language of the state, according to the constitution. We must encourage people to speak our national language. Its funny trying to explain why we learn Irish to non-nationals. They cant understand why we are told we need to learn Irish, as its part of our culture. When even my grandparents cant remember anyone in their family speaking it on a daily bases.
    A fallacy which I think would be removed if it was ever put to a vote.

I'm not going to give my opinions on the subject because I'd probably be accused of trolling, even though my views actually are that extreme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

State sponsored initiative fails yet again - hardly news worthy on that news program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Our (the people of ireland as a whole) relationship with the Irish language is completely bizarre. It is mandatory for us to learn it but only a handful of us can speak more than a few sentences. People claim to cherish it and think its "important" but make no personal effort to use it.

For us to grow as a nation I think we've got to get to grips for our native tongue. Why the weird relationship? Is it a guilt thing? Is it like the elderly relative we profess to love but never visit more than twice a year and are too guilt ridden to put in a nursing home? We do love guilt and shame in this country.

Post colonial hang up?

Imagine learning a subject for 14 years and having virtually no clue about it or use for it afterwards. Wft?

A grown-up nation does not ramrod a dead language down the necks of its children. Irish as a spoken tongue was once - it is no more. It should be remembered. Studied voluntarily by adults. Do you think any less of a Roman because he or she does not speak Latin ?
    The post colonial insecurity is evident in the mandatory part of the Irish "education". A child in London or Yorkshire is nor required to speak Old or Middle English. He or she may study it later and must should they choose to read medieval languages at third level.
    The enforcement of it on TV and radio stations is something that can be controlled by the press of a button. Fine. Let them have their ghetto. The archaic bus signs. The road signage that is comical at best and dangerously confusing at worst is nonsensical.
    Hatred of your language is something you have brought upon yourselves. When you inflict punishment upon a child, beware that child should grow and come to hate you.

A grown-up nation does not ramrod a dead language down the necks of its children. Irish as a spoken tongue was once - it is no more. It should be remembered. Studied voluntarily by adults. Do you think any less of a Roman because he or she does not speak Latin ?
    The post colonial insecurity is evident in the mandatory part of the Irish "education". A child in London or Yorkshire is nor required to speak Old or Middle English. He or she may study it later and must should they choose to read medieval languages at third level.
    The enforcement of it on TV and radio stations is something that can be controlled by the press of a button. Fine. Let them have their ghetto. The archaic bus signs. The road signage that is comical at best and dangerously confusing at worst is nonsensical.
    Hatred of your language is something you have brought upon yourselves. When you inflict punishment upon a child, beware that child should grow and come to hate you.

Christ almighty did a gaelgoir steal your missus or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

But you are forgetting Irish is the first and official language of the state, according to the constitution. We must encourage people to speak our national language.

Ah not that auld guff again ! :rolleyes: . English is the de facto national language of Ireland. It is a disgrace the amount of airgead that is flushed down the leithreas translating stuff into gaeilge and on TV that people have no suim in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Fine. Let them have their ghetto. The archaic bus signs. The road signage that is comical at best and dangerously confusing at worst is nonsensical.

What really p***es me off apart from the stupid and useless road signage and the signage in Dublin Airport (where they've had the stupidity to give priority to the so-called "Irish"" and only have English in a much smaller script) are the pathetic signs in places like Tescos. Like we need signs on aisles saying such stupid things as "Bia Eitneach". A complete national joke and embarassement.... :mad: The last thing we need is an additional Irish language news service. When were the majority of TV license payers asked if they wanted that ? ?

Oh Dear, the usual thread derailment. :rolleyes:
    RTÉ have started an additional Irish language news service that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    2% of the overall market ain't too bad, given they're working off peanuts compared to RTÉ. They produce some high quality documentaries and overall it's a decent channel.

Plus we all love Irish spongebob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If I paid my licence fee, I'd be outraged

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They cant understand why we are told we need to learn Irish, as its part of our culture. When even my grandparents cant remember anyone in their family speaking it on a daily bases.
    Simply because and as you point out for the vast majority of Irish people it isn't part of their culture and hasn't been for many generations.
    Which pretty much tells you all you need to know about how important we think the language is. Beyond lip service and top down "cultural" imposition, not very is the answer. Even with the billions invested since the foundation of the Irish state, the compulsory teaching of it, the requirement for it in state jobs etc it has steadily and pretty rapidly declined in use. It has held steady for the last 20 years which is fine, but I'm not sure how "artificial" that level is. I can't see it dying out and hope it doesn't, but it'll never be our national language again, no matter what the constitution says.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    to be honest, you could categorise it as being somewhat like history.
    Some will end up using what they learnt every day, but most wont - but as a background/ cultural insight into the country you came from its a useful thing to learn.

Actually, isnt it similar with nearly everything you learn in school?
    i.e. not something you'd use every day.

I would happily start paying a license fee if a portion of it were used for the extermination of the Irish language.

How exactly would you go about that? Exterminating everyone who knows any bit of Irish?
    Long Gone wrote: »
    What really p***es me off...are the pathetic signs in places like Tescos. Like we need signs on aisles saying such stupid things as "Bia Eitneach". A complete national joke and embarassement.... :mad:

You mean a private business made a private choice to change some parts of their business policy based on the feedback of their customers? What a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Just give it a try.

You should give watching the outstanding documentaries TG4 produce, all the time, a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

The usual anti-Irish everything brigade are out in force again here and their hypocrisy is to the fore as always. Generally an irish language topic becomes an "Irish wuz rammed down urrr throats, bleedin'd disgrace, should be optional" rabble. So here we are with a service which is completely optional and the same amadáns are complaining about that.

"URRRR buh what about me licence fee" - please, the fee allocation for the likes of this is miniscule and completely on the lower side of what should be put towards what is the national language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oakboy wrote: »
    The usual anti-Irish everything brigade are out in force again here and their hypocrisy is to the fore as always. Generally an irish language topic becomes an "Irish wuz rammed down urrr throats, bleedin'd disgrace, should be optional" rabble. So here we are with a service which is completely optional and the same amadáns are complaining about that.

"URRRR buh what about me licence fee" - please, the fee allocation for the likes of this is miniscule and completely on the lower side of what should be put towards what is the national language

Why don't you just send him a PM?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oakboy wrote: »

The anti Irish brigade? Hypocrisy? It's not being hypocritical to say that it's a waste of time and money to teach Irish and that it's a waste of time and money to create a new irish news service.

You could actually try being civilised rather than portraying everyone who holds a different opinion as a slobbering idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The millions and millions of Euros wasted by the Govt every year in pandering to the Irish language Nazis is galling.
    We could be investing this money and the hours spent shoving it down our kid's throats into some useful education measures.

The sooner we accept that Irish is a dead language and stop spunking our hard-earned tax euros on the laughable life-support measures we currently engage in, the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Kovalev

Wibbs wrote: »
    Simply because and as you point out for the vast majority of Irish people it isn't part of their culture and hasn't been for many generations.

Which pretty much tells you all you need to know about how important we think the language is. Beyond lip service and top down "cultural" imposition, not very is the answer. Even with the billions invested since the foundation of the Irish state, the compulsory teaching of it, the requirement for it in state jobs etc it has steadily and pretty rapidly declined in use. It has held steady for the last 20 years which is fine, but I'm not sure how "artificial" that level is. I can't see it dying out and hope it doesn't, but it'll never be our national language again, no matter what the constitution says.

Irish is now on duolingo, fantastic app. I've learned more with it in one month than 14 years in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

What political party is most likely to one day call a referendum to amend the constitution as to end Irish's status as official language? This is a major voting issue to me. Or is that too radical at the moment?

Kovalev wrote: »
    Irish is now on duolingo, fantastic app. I've learned more with it in one month than 14 years in school.

Didn't you say you were Belgian?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Kovalev

Didn't you say you were Belgian?

Yes, I'm from Belgium, went to school here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

What political party is most likely to one day call a referendum to amend the constitution as to end Irish's status as official language?

None of them have the balls.

But if someone was able to collate and publish the amount of money we are spending on this charade and put it before the electorate, asking them if they wished to continue this funding - Irish would be removed as an official language in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the true cost of this madness is buried across multiple departments and in multiple projects and sections and we may never realise the real extent of the money we've pissed away on this.

Well that's the problem, I don't think showing the money would work- most people(who are likely to vote) still have a sentimental attachment to the idea of the language, and would be able to justify the cost.

Realistically it will take a generation or so until public opinion has shifted, until immigration and globalisation take further hold, that the language properly dies out and it will be obvious that it has no place as official language. At that point there will be a straightforward referendum and that will be that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement