Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underated and Overated

• 15-09-2014 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

In an effort to seperate the wheat from the chaff, I usually read some reviews of a film, an album or a video game before parting with my hard earned cash.

While this does tend to steer you away from a lot of the dross that exists out there, I can't help but feel some really good stuff slips under my radar, because of one or two critical reviews or a so so score.

Conversely, some games have proven to be very disappointing despite being widely lauded.

What have been the most underated and overated games you have played on the Xbox platform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Funnily, any of the games I can think of, if they didn't get good press when they started out, eventually received the acclaim they deserve through forums and game of the year lists - they nearly always develop cult following.

Shadowrun was always a hidden gem for me - a perfectly balanced shooter that brought something new to the table and I was delighted when they released it on G4G last year.

Lost Planet 2 was slated (and somewhat deservedly given the poor mechanics and storyline), but I always enjoyed the co-op aspect of it.

And one which I never quite understood was Yahtzee's listing of Just Cause 2 as GOTY a couple back... I felt it was fun but very over-rated and I don't get why he enjoyed it so much. But heck, all reviews are subjective anyway! XD

What about yourself? Any hidden gems or lauded pieces of coal you enjoyed/despised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Slugs wrote: »
    Funnily, any of the games I can think of, if they didn't get good press when they started out, eventually received the acclaim they deserve through forums and game of the year lists - they nearly always develop cult following.

Shadowrun was always a hidden gem for me - a perfectly balanced shooter that brought something new to the table and I was delighted when they released it on G4G last year.

Lost Planet 2 was slated (and somewhat deservedly given the poor mechanics and storyline), but I always enjoyed the co-op aspect of it.

And one which I never quite understood was Yahtzee's listing of Just Cause 2 as GOTY a couple back... I felt it was fun but very over-rated and I don't get why he enjoyed it so much. But heck, all reviews are subjective anyway! XD

What about yourself? Any hidden gems or lauded pieces of coal you enjoyed/despised?

This is they conundrum I find myself in, I have tended to steer away from poorly received games and as such I don't really have any suggestions for underated.

The new Wolfenstein game really brought this into my mind. It doesn't seem to have been too well received but is very popular amongst many gamers.

Its interesting you suggest that over time, games will get the recognition they deserve.

Perhaps if something is really great, its impossible for it to go unnoticed.

In terms of overated, well I could mention many games but as you said its quite subjective.

Titanfall perhaps doesn't deserve the acclaim it got initially but I think that is falling away over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deanp057

Watchdogs was probably the most over rated game this year, it was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Fescue wrote: »
    In terms of overated, well I could mention many games but as you said its quite subjective.

Doesn't really matter; opinion doesn't stop rabid fanboys or soap-box reviewers from shoving their bull**** down my throat... or trying to... Don't let it prevent you too! :P In other words, spill mister! :D

Slugs wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter; opinion doesn't stop rabid fanboys or soap-box reviewers from shoving their bull**** down my throat... or trying to... Don't let it prevent you too! :P In other words, spill mister! :D

Call of Duty. I find them to mostly be ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Deanp057

Same here, liked them up to Modern Warfare 2, then after that it went all downhill and haven't played it since after black ops. Battlefield is much better than it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Deanp057 wrote: »
    Same here, liked them up to Modern Warfare 2, then after that it went all downhill and haven't played it since after black ops. Battlefield is much better than it.

Before this gets in to a CoD vs BF debate. I think I'll just sum up both games.

*go to linear checkpoint*
    *trigger event*
    *shooty shooty "GRENADE"*
    *rinse repeat*

Or

*go online*
    *get yelled at by ten year olds*
    *die a lot* (in my case)
    *repeat*

As far as story line or engagement goes, you can't do a lot with a shooter. I mean the mechanics are going to be the same you can just add bells and whistles (like wall running or double jumps) or survival horror tropes (limited ammo / no weapons / dark environments). I've never really felt invested with a character in a fps. Suppose Half Life did in a way because of the situation Freeman was thrust in to against his will...

Phew! Sorry about that rant!

I think I'll +1 Watchdogs.

Oh, and Aliens Colonial Marines. :pac:

I don't think the likes of XCom gets much attention. Would that be considered underrated? I downloaded Dust: An Elysian Tale when it was free on xbox live and, ashamedly, loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Battlefield doesnt compare to cod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

I agree with an earlier poster, Shadowrun was a very underrated game. It was a pretty unique concept for its time and I feel it only fell down for the lack of a single player campaign. Having said that, the online was incredible and the numerous different strategies available kept me hooked for a long time. I think I actually still have it lying around somewhere :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

racing games in general in the last 7 or 8 years are so overated.

in the first half of the 00's you had a plethora of great ones: PGR2, Forza, Burnout 3 & Revenge, NFS Most Wanted, etc.

nowadays they're all just so meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,209 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Underrated: panzer Dragoon Orta and Steel Batallion.

Overrated: the whole Halo franchise :pac:

in the first half of the 00's you had a plethora of great ones: PGR2, Forza, Burnout 3 & Revenge, NFS Most Wanted, etc.

I think Forza 5 is really good. By far the best racing game I have played. The F1 car is insanely fun.

Not a big racing game player but I did enjoy Forza 4 and 5. My favourites since Toca Touring Cars on the PS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Deanp057 wrote: »
    Watchdogs was probably the most over rated game this year, it was terrible.

To be fair i think Watch Dogs is more over hyped than over rated. most people know it's ****e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

overrated: Fifa, every Call of Duty after COD4: Modern Warfare, nearly all racing games, Watchdogs, every Halo after the first one, every Gears of War after the first one, The Fable series, Titanfall,

Underrated: Wolfenstein, Max Payne 3, Dead Space, Vanquish, Bulletstorm, Panzer Dragoon Orta.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Wolfenstein is the most underrated game I've played on the X1. Easily my game of the year so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I always think halo games are underrated especially on boards. Their online games are the most fun to be had online. I find halo 4 to be great craic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Enslaved was a very underrated game. Uncharted on steroids I've heard it called which is probably a good description for it alright.

Someone else mentioned bulletstorm which I'd agree was all sorts of fun but underrated most definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I always think halo games are underrated especially on boards. Their online games are the most fun to be had online. I find halo 4 to be great craic.

no better online game(s) for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not so much underrated, but ignored by the general public - Vanquish.
    Gears of war Judgement - a grand game, but probably passed over by most who were suffering franchise fatigue, also coming off the back of a trilogy that had effectively tidied everything up.
    Overrated - Castle crashers. its grand but I cant understand the gushing of love it gets.

Wolfenstein is the most underrated game I've played on the X1. Easily my game of the year so far

I am about half way through Wolfenstein, must say I think its very good. The story is really interesting.

Perhaps the mechanics of the game, in terms of his movement and such isn't top notch but the story more than makes up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Not so much underrated, but ignored by the general public - Vanquish.
    Gears of war Judgement - a grand game, but probably passed over by most who were suffering franchise fatigue, also coming off the back of a trilogy that had effectively tidied everything up.
    Overrated - Castle crashers. its grand but I cant understand the gushing of love it gets.

Vanquish is a fantastic game, probably too difficult for many people but most definitely worth a look, it's cheap now... :)

I'd also nominate Mass Effect 3 as under rated. I love the co-op and play it on PS3 and xbox 360!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Enslaved was a very underrated game. Uncharted on steroids I've heard it called which is probably a good description for it alright.

Someone else mentioned bulletstorm which I'd agree was all sorts of fun but underrated most definately.

Picked up enslaved last week. It's been on the list for ages.

One underrated game that comes to mind that isn't vanquish is binary domain.

Overrated IMO are littlebigplanet and BioShock infinite. Very pretty but just couldn't get into it

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Picked up enslaved last week. It's been on the list for ages.

One underrated game that comes to mind that isn't vanquish is binary domain.

Overrated IMO are littlebigplanet and BioShock infinite. Very pretty but just couldn't get into it

Indeed Binary Domain is quite good - not quite as good as Vanquish but worth playing through - great silly scifi story! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Finally got round to playing Alice: Madness returns last week and finished it late last night. What a brilliant, mad and emotional game. The invention involved in the various different puzzle levels was something else too. Yes there's a few small issues with graphics and combat but I loved every minute of it and it's unlike anything else I've ever played. Would love a sequel with some metroidvania elements, how good would that be? Reviews were in the 70s but its a top echelon game for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

NFS rivals is as good as most the games listed above.

Smoggy wrote: »
    NFS rivals is as good as most the games listed above.

If you haven't played Blur or Split Second they are worth a look - single player is great on both with multiplayer on blur being a lot of fun! :pac:

Advertisement