Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

time to bring in the free labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

time to bring in the free labour

The ASGI have confirmed this morning that they have drawn up a number of plans that will see Garda Reserve volunteers and recruits covering Garda sergeants and inspectors if they choose to join rank-and-file gardaí and strike this November.

The move comes as 10,500 Gardaí agreed earlier this week to undertake strike action in a dispute over current pay and benefit packages.

According to the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) the strike action is being implemented as there has been a very significant “mood swing” amongst Gardai since the Government agreed to a implement a pay increase of 11.25% for Dublin Bus drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Any reserve that crosses that picket should be ashamed, a lot of us have intentions of joining full time and to cross the picket of those trying to better the treatment of guards should really think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

If the reserves do cross the line, they will be fecked long time, already not accepted by all, this would do major damage.

• Advertisement

Army can't do the job and reserves can't do patrol without full time members. This shall be interesting.

The start of next year you will get your chance lads , and by god ye deserve it after waiting so long .

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

That sounds like a very positive comment you made there.Have you heard something?Haven't heard a thing on this side in relation to it.I'd assume that if that was the case,that there would be movement in new Reserves being recruited,with the likes of Interviews etc starting up.I hope your right.It's been a very frustrating time.

This looks promising after yesterday,but we'll wait and see.

''The Tánaiste said the garda workforce would increase to 21,000 in the next five years.
    This means that some 2,200 additional gardaí will be recruited in that time.
    Civilian numbers will be doubled from 2,000 at present to 4,000, while garda reserve numbers will jump from 800 to 2,000.

It is envisaged that 800 additional gardaí will be recruited next year and up to 500 civilians and 300 reservists.''

• Advertisement

Anyone here of recruitment for Reserve Gardai? Its been ages since they said they where going do a recruitment campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The focus seems to be on fulltime for the foreseeable future.
    200 in each of the four intakes for this yr.
    There simply won't be room in the college this year anyway.

Why aren't you interested in applying for fulltime?

D Trent wrote: »
    The focus seems to be on fulltime for the foreseeable future.
    200 in each of the four intakes for this yr.
    There simply won't be room in the college this year anyway.

Why aren't you interested in applying for fulltime?

I am doing a degree at the minute and would like to see it through. But would love to see what the job is like without any big commitment of moving down to templemore and leaving university.

But since I gained interest in the Reserve I have herd some horror story's that people have been waiting 3-4 years for training dates and medicals, one chap said he was waiting 2 years for interview. I thought they might do something now because the Reserve numbers where getting low?. I seen the words "accelerated recruitment" on an article , mind you it was from awhile back.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Redzer99

Anyone here of recruitment for Reserve Gardai? Its been ages since they said they where going do a recruitment campaign.

Dont happen for a while. Priority is on full time for the moment. I was on the panel for the last reserve class but it was cancelled. Currently waiting to start full-time training in February!

Redzer99 wrote: »
    Dont happen for a while. Priority is on full time for the moment. I was on the panel for the last reserve class but it was cancelled. Currently waiting to start full-time training in February!

Cheers for the reply man. Fair play on getting the full-time.

So I did abit of asking about and some online research, and apparently they are going to be announcing a Recruitment very soon for Garda Reserves. I for one really hope this is true and there not just saying this to look as if they haven't forgot about the GR. Recruitment may be Regional and training may be delivered differently. Just an update lads. :)

Thanks for the update Dr Champion.That is very positive news,and I really hope this is going to be coming out soon.It sounds a good step forward,in that it relieves the pressure off Templemore,plus would hopefully mean that New Recruits,would not have an overly major drive to get to Templemore,depending on location,if done regionally.I'd prefer a couple of hours drive to the 5 hour one that it would take me,but If I were to get the word tomorrow,I really wouldn't care if it took 10 hours,lol.It's been a long,up,down twisty road for the last 5 years.Fingers Crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Lads, most people leave the GR within two years, fact, and its not to go to the Full time Gardai..

Lads, most people leave the GR within two years, fact, and its not to go to the Full time Gardai..

Where you in it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Still in it, tenth year, 19.5 years in the RDF /FCA, I think it's changed it's name to Army Reserves.

There is a Reserve route when people are going for the full timers, most people see it for what it is, unpaid a..minimum chance of joining the Flul timers, who are on €23000ish a year, take rent, of say one hundred a week out of that, petrol, food, etc, you are left with sfa, but your choice.. you'll also be like a zombiee all day Sunday, if you work on a Saturday night,
    If you get injured whose going to pay your bills, the Regulars get their full pay, you wouldn't, 20% of GRs do the hours to claim the 1000€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Still in it, tenth year, 19.5 years in the RDF /FCA, I think it's changed it's name to Army Reserves.

There is a Reserve route when people are going for the full timers, most people see it for what it is, unpaid a..minimum chance of joining the Flul timers, who are on €23000ish a year, take rent, of say one hundred a week out of that, petrol, food, etc, you are left with sfa, but your choice.. you'll also be like a zombiee all day Sunday, if you work on a Saturday night,
    If you get injured whose going to pay your bills, the Regulars get their full pay, you wouldn't, 20% of GRs do the hours to claim the 1000€.

As I said before, its an interesting hobby, thing, to do, life experience and all that, but dont have major expectations on it being ultra exciting, and most full timers dont really love the job, therefore create an unhappy atmosphere.

Thanks for your input westcoastboy . But I would still love to give it ago, I'm the sorta guy where I listen to what people have to say about a subject, But I also like to experience things for myself because I might see it differently and experience it differently. From talking to people about it tho, people seem to be the same opinion as yourself.

Well just got an email saying it's all going ahead again in the coming weeks. What do we get for the 2 year wait ? Well we get to do all aspects of the application process again.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Well just got an email saying it's all going ahead again in the coming weeks. What do we get for the 2 year wait ? Well we get to do all aspects of the application process again.

Who did you get the email of cedric87?

Wait a minute !!! There making you start from the beginning???

Just to add , If that is the case I am sure you won't have the interview or tests I'm sure they are on about your background checks and your medical because they have "use by dates" so you will be still 1st in line .

Who did you get the email of cedric87?

Wait a minute !!! There making you start from the beginning???

Just to add , If that is the case I am sure you won't have the interview or tests I'm sure they are on about your background checks and your medical because they have "use by dates" so you will be still 1st in line .

Got the email as other did off hq. It didn't say which parts we will redo, it said we will have to complete previous steps again. I will be asking to be up the top of the medical list and that I would want to be in the first new class going down, considering I have been in the process 3 and a half years.

Got the email as other did off hq. It didn't say which parts we will redo, it said we will have to complete previous steps again. I will be asking to be up the top of the medical list and that I would want to be in the first new class going down, considering I have been in the process 3 and a half years.

Tbh your still in the best position, You will have to do background checks and a medical but I can guarantee anyone they had waiting will be pushed through.

I hope so I dont fancy waiting another year

I hope so I dont fancy waiting another year

My mate got full time he had vetting back in 4 weeks , and if there taking on properly again it will be fast , if you look at it your in the same position pal. Medicals would always have to be done again they only last 3 months I think. And they will fly your background checks. All the best with it and keeps us updated on how your getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

So I thought I'd make an account as I use to come on this nearly 4 years ago when I needed some help for my interview for the Garda reserve.

I have seen a poster in the same position as myself. So I emailed HQ asking was there an up coming date for training , and I get an email back TODAY saying if I was still interested in the position that I was to make it clear to the office by the 8th which is tomorrow. Two things the bug me , 1 . if I didn't email them where they going to email me ? looks as if I would have been cast aside if I hadnt got in touch and 2. After waiting 4 f**king years (and sorry for my language) they tell me that I am back to the start.

I am absolutely sickened because I was suppose to have got training over a year ago and now I'm being treated like a normal application all over again. No apology from them for the wait or even telling me that it will be pushed on. And the thought of doing that BR form again is killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Got the email from HQ myself. Hopefully the background checks and medical are pushed through fairly fast

Advertisement