Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ref training, I read through the previous reserve thread and it mentioned weekends in templemore, with then a number of sessions in county training stations. Has this changed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Hi Delly,No,that was the older Training Program.The one I gave is the newer way of doing it,and that's how our Training dates back in 2015 were to run.I'd assume it will stay the same,but we'll not know until actual dates are known,what way the Training timeframe will run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Right, that's interesting to know. Getting block weeks off work is a rather different challenge to what I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

delly wrote: »
    Right, that's interesting to know. Getting block weeks off work is a rather different challenge to what I thought it was.

I Know :(

As donman says though, we'll have to wait to see for sure. The logic in my head says that the first time around, the full time members were being trained, hence the reason for the weekends. Was the full time program still on ice back in 2015? It could explain the reason for the block weeks and could also dictate how the next batch is trained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

Found out a little info today by ringing Reserve office, and by the sounds of it there doesn't sound like there will be a training date anytime soon, they said they will try get one for this year ,so meaning it could be next year. So much for the 300 recruits this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

this has been the case now for the past 3 years. new applicants welcome to the worst campaign you will ever be apart of and expect a long long wait with very very little answers from hq. HQ tend to be told a week or two before anything happens therefore they have little to tell you when you call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Found out a little info today by ringing Reserve office, and by the sounds of it there doesn't sound like there will be a training date anytime soon, they said they will try get one for this year ,so meaning it could be next year. So much for the 300 recruits this year.

They still have the old panel do they not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

Avada wrote: »
    They still have the old panel do they not?

Ya there still people waiting to get in from years ago. Cedric87 your waiting years now ,right?

Tbh id say I am going to drop out of this campaign, I thought we would be given a timeline. They haven't a notion what's going on.

And there was me out running every evening since getting word I passed stage one thinking it would be a quick enough process :(

• Advertisement

Ya there still people waiting to get in from years ago. Cedric87 your waiting years now ,right?

Tbh id say I am going to drop out of this campaign, I thought we would be given a timeline. They haven't a notion what's going on.

Myself and donman are in it over 4 years with no training dates. There was a poll done here a few years back I'd say 10 years ago and it asked how long people have had to wait and the majority had to wait 5+ years to get in. Nothing has changed and I honestly don't see anything changing.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Myself and donman are in it over 4 years with no training dates. There was a poll done here a few years back I'd say 10 years ago and it asked how long people have had to wait and the majority had to wait 5+ years to get in. Nothing has changed and I honestly don't see anything changing.

We're you successful in your application then decline or what happened? FairPlay for your commitment too

We're you successful in your application then decline or what happened? FairPlay for your commitment too

No every step was slow and we passed each stage, there are others in the same boat as myself and donman. It's just the process, it's not priority so therefore they get very little funds to run the recruitment meaning a very slow process for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

No every step was slow and we passed each stage, there are others in the same boat as myself and donman. It's just the process, it's not priority so therefore they get very little funds to run the recruitment meaning a very slow process for everybody.

Did you say that your​ back to stage one because of the new campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

I'm waiting just over 4 years now!!! HQ piss me off so much ,never know anything when ya email or ring them.

When I seen a recruitment drive I laughed, doing it for the media pretending they are keeping it going. And I can guarantee it won't be this year. They will say start of 2018 ,then the start of 2018 will come and it will be the middle then the end.. So on and so on.

We have been put back to the medical stage as our medical and BR forms have expired.

We have been put back to the medical stage as our medical and BR forms have expired.

It could be worse, at least you'll be one of the first into training.

Boaty wrote: »
    It could be worse, at least you'll be one of the first into training.

You would think, nothing is certain with this lot.

You would think, nothing is certain with this lot.

Agreed !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jamie83

Hi I have a stage 2 interview this coming Saturday 27th in Dublin has anyone been given a time yet as I've been told it will be posted to my message board but haven't heard anything yet

Also in relation to medical how strict is this process my bmi is slightly above 30 I'm working on it at present

Any feedback would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Hi Jamie83,you should contact PAS,who will be dealing with this part of the process,if you haven't already received a message from them.

Ref the Medical,it's strict enough,as you'll have to pass all parts on the day,to get through.Ref your BMI,as far as i know,if your above 30,then that's counted as a fail.If I were you,i'd try and get it down below 30.I think maybe they may have another test,say if you play Rugby or whatever,which would mean more muscle,putting you over 30,then they can do a different test for that.I didn't have any issues ref mine,so maybe someone here could give a better input,if they had a BMI issue.

Good luck in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Jamie83 wrote: »
    Hi I have a stage 2 interview this coming Saturday 27th in Dublin has anyone been given a time yet as I've been told it will be posted to my message board but haven't heard anything yet

Also in relation to medical how strict is this process my bmi is slightly above 30 I'm working on it at present

Any feedback would be great

Regarding BMI if you have a BMI over 30 and you're built like Brian O'Driscoll then they may examine your body fat percentage and sign you off as fit, otherwise you'll have to get it below 30.

If your BMI is between 30 and 35 you'll be deferred and will be given a few months to lose the weight and come back for a retest.

2.500 people applied for the Garda Reserve. Not many if ya ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

So have my interview coming up on June 17th, and did not realise how much info you have to provide before the interview especially naming every family member.

So my question is I would have some family members that let's just say would be known to the Gardai for the wrong reasons, would this basically discount me even though I have a clean record, worked all my life never been in an ounce of trouble etc?

Guys had an interview and stage 2 test yesterday went well I think but u never know

My question is I don't have the education requirement and on my BR form have sought an exemption
    In pas they gave me a note saying I need to submit original leaving cert docs and on the next line it's says if you have sought an exemption and should u be successful at interview stage the GR office may contact directly to assess ur exemption request
    Has anyone been in the same position, do I need to do anything else in relation pas request??

How many people interviewed you?

Boaty wrote: »
    How many people interviewed you?
    2 a member of pas and a Garda

Jamie, did you apply on the current recruitment drive or a previous one?

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Jamie, did you apply on the current recruitment drive or a previous one?

For this current one applied in March this year

Advertisement